The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade Ryan Callahan, 2020 5th-round pick to Senators for Mike Condon, 2020 6th-round pick

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Let's get this Eriksson thing out of the way.

Benning has carefully rebuilt the team, and Eriksson, albeit not the offensive dynamo he was suppose to be, is a great defensive player, and one

every competing team needs......at 6M...no, but he is not useless to Benning. So I don't think he is going to be shipped out unless there is something useful

coming back. ( I think we need to stop whining about Loui, he will be here until there is a deal) which could be any time in the next 3 years.

As for his comments.....I like a lot of other CDC did not like it, but honestly, it wasn't anything, a lot of us do it at work on a regular basis. Green has heard 

it before...….and as a former player, has most likely whined some himself...…...move on

The only reason to move Loui is the cap savings, and if it costs us, or we don't get something decent back, then it ain't happening...….

I will disagree with this that Benning is hoping to get something replaceable back or decent back, they have enough players right now without Brock signed and with the players they brought in they don't need a replacement for LE they just need him gone to play the other players now. I believe at this point they're willing to take anything to free up cap space without having FA pay him out, or be payed his salary if he gets waived to the minors. FA made it pretty clear last year he wasn't a fan of paying Gagners contract while he was in the minors, at like half the price, FA would lose his mind if Eriksson was waived and being paid that in the minors. The buy out option isn't worth it either for them, even if they thought about it, it would just hurt the Canucks in the long run not worth it. Basically at this point just moving him to another team that's willing to take him is all that's left, and if Benning is holding out to get something better for him instead that's a huge mistake, take your loss and move on that's the best approach he should be taking for moving Eriksson.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I really doubt his team mates see him that way.

The situation is what it is. But for a 3 million dollar difference in salary between what he is paid vs what he should be paid, lets not take on a worse contract and/or include picks and prospects to do it. 

Let's not speculate how and what his teammates think. Neither you or I are privy to that information

Even if his salary was 3 million, I wouldn't want his soft play anywhere near this team.

The last part I agree, I fear that loui is so bad, no team is willing to take him without us having to overpay with picks/prospects, which I don't think is worth it. My only hope is he ends up in utica and not on the main roster.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd rather take back Gaboric than retain the 2 mil, but sure why the heck not. Doubt Loui waives for Ottawa either tho. 

Loui should just agree to terminate already, he'll get picked up for 2 mil per by someone for sure. 

1. Why would he give up the salary he's being paid? 

2. He can't be signed though the duration of his contract if he terminates (IIRC)

benning has had all summer to trade eriksson get rid of this guy  if not send him to ahl guy cam rot  in minors   lend him to another team i dont want his lazy attitude  rubbing off on our prospects   wish benning would get rid of sutter and tanev as well what garbage players 

15 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

benning has had all summer to trade eriksson get rid of this guy  if not send him to ahl guy cam rot  in minors   lend him to another team i dont want his lazy attitude  rubbing off on our prospects   wish benning would get rid of sutter and tanev as well what garbage players 

Ironically, the Canucks have started coming out the other side of the rebuild to the point where players like Sutter and Tanev can actually help us more than what we would get in a trade. 

Wouldnt be sad to see either or both go tbh. But they are hardly garbage players.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Ironically, the Canucks have started coming out the other side of the rebuild to the point where players like Sutter and Tanev can actually help us more than what we would get in a trade. 

Wouldnt be sad to see either or both go tbh. But they are hardly garbage players.

ya  that 9 mill in cap they eat is a waste they arent elite players sutters a ok 3-4 th line center  and tanev is a 3pairing fragile non offensive dman 

Edited by canuktravella
  • Wat 1

40 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ya  that 9 mill in cap they eat is a waste they arent elite players sutters a ok 3-4 th line center  and tanev is a 3pairing fragile non offensive dman 

That only matters if you have someone else you can use that cap space on that is better. You probably arent getting that in a trade for either of them at this point.

Either could be replaced, that wasnt my point. 

Right now, 4 to 4.5 mil contracts are not elite level contracts either. Middle 6 forwards and top 4 dmen is more realistic in that range. 

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kelly Green said:

Send him down on the very first day of camp and things will get real for loui quickly!  ::D

Getting nothing back for him would be a windfall , how much less than nothing is the real question now. 

Yup totally agree, no way he's in our dressing room. I think Loui will regret not accepting some of the trade offers JB has received. Put him on waivers right away, send him down and wait for Loui to cave

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its not so much a matter of "defending him" vs just not throwing out unsubstantiated opinion. The guy has a lot of value on the PK.

Eriksson is particularly effective on the penalty kill, which plays to his strengths: positioning, reading the play, and moving the puck up ice without worrying about creating a good scoring chance at the other end. In fact, Eriksson isn’t just a good penalty killer: he’s one of the NHL’s best.
Eriksson led all Canucks skaters in the rate of unblocked shot attempts (fenwick) against, scoring chances against, and expected goals against while on the penalty kill. He was second in the rate of actual goals against to Brandon Sutter.
League-wide, Eriksson was 16th in the rate of unblocked shot attempts against, 5th in the rate of expected goals against, and 6th in the rate of goals against. If Eriksson isn’t in the lineup, someone else will have to pick up the slack on the penalty kill.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/what-can-the-canucks-do-with-loui-eriksson-1.23884404

They already do. He was 6th in forwards on canucks roster in SH/TOI. 

Fenwick is such a cherry picked stat. Anyone with eyes can see Loui is not even close to being canucks best PKer. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Its palatable if hes the only option. Problem is Motte, who gets paid about a million can do the same job Louie does. As good, or even better

If Motte could actually perform as well on the PK as Loui that would be awesome. Not sure he's quite up to it yet but he certainly has the talent to get there. 

I think if it comes down to losing Motte to waivers tho vs Loui on the same roster spot, you'll see Loui sent to Utica for sure. I can't see Jim losing a player over this. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stamkos said:

1. Why would he give up the salary he's being paid? 

2. He can't be signed though the duration of his contract if he terminates (IIRC)

curious - where is that in the CBA? 

30 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

They already do. He was 6th in forwards on canucks roster in SH/TOI. 

Fenwick is such a cherry picked stat. Anyone with eyes can see Loui is not even close to being canucks best PKer. 

right its cherry picked when it doesn't fit your idea :lol:

He was 4th in that stat among Fs btw. http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?report=skaterpenaltykill&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=F&playerPlayedFor=team.23&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=shTimeOnIce

Granlund led in that stat. Do you miss Granlund from the lineup?

Honestly I don't care if you like him or not, the stats don't warrant the label of "garbage".

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

Send him to Utica and instruct Cull not to play him for a single shift.  If he opens his mouth again, suspend him without pay.

• Haha 1