The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big Pharma ordered to cough it up

riffraff

Too bad it doesn't go far enough (fine less than expected).

It was funny... I had just watched the Designated Survivor episode where opioids were starting to be addressed, and then I heard news of another Pharma company being sued over misleading practices.

Our FDA is a joke, and has been for a long time.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, that took out the profit margin for the first 2 months of this year....good thing they have 10 other months to shore things up.  A fine along these lines doesn't send a message, it just becomes part of doing business, and a write off in the long term.  Slap on the wrist, this is barely a tickle with a feather.  Gutless, pandering, unintelligent cowardice is what this is.   If they wanted a dent, they would have hit this company for a fine that would have totalled the profits made over the last decade, and I'm betting that would have been enough to at least send a little bit of a message.

54 minutes ago, riffraff said:

doctors are always right people!

Isn't this half the problem though?  Doctors prescribing them based off what are basically bribes from these Drug companies.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

as good as this is, its also just going to mean higher prices for every other drug these guys make. You know we'll all end up paying for these big settlements ultimately. 

I'd much prefer that the C-suite folks do real jail time instead. I think that would have a bigger impact in the end. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, riffraff said:

This kind of exposure is long overdue imo.

doctors are always right people!

https://globalnews.ca/news/5816362/opioid-crisis-oklahoma-johnson-johnson/

I read the article and I have no idea where you concluded this about doctors. The article compared the lawsuit to lawsuits against the tobacco industry but I think tobacco marketing and commercials etc are way more prevalent than marketing for the use of opioids to consumers. Especially since tobacco products are far more easily legally acquired.

While I agree that the manufacturing companies need to take some blame, doctors, pharmacists, nurses, etc do too for the prescribing and overly liberal dispense of opioids. Doctors are definitely NOT always right and often don't advocate for the proper tapering off of these medications even when they are necessary

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I read the article and I have no idea where you concluded this about doctors. The article compared the lawsuit to lawsuits against the tobacco industry but I think tobacco marketing and commercials etc are way more prevalent than marketing for the use of opioids to consumers. Especially since tobacco products are far more easily legally acquired.

While I agree that the manufacturing companies need to take some blame, doctors, pharmacists, nurses, etc do too for the prescribing and overly liberal dispense of opioids. Doctors are definitely NOT always right and often don't advocate for the proper tapering off of these medications even when they are necessary

I was being sarcastic.

i agree with your post.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I was about 30% sure you were being sarcastic but I didn't want people peeking into the thread to see that and leave with the wrong idea.

I got ya.

my wife is a nurse and as a result I have a bit of an inside look.  Quite interesting.

Edited by riffraff

Look into the history of using opioids for political gain, it goes way back to the robber barons, who run all the biggest (tax free btw) foundations today.

“Forget the politicians. The politicians are put there to give you the idea you have freedom of choice. You don't. You have no choice. You have owners. They own you. They own everything. They own all the important land, they own and control the corporations that've long since bought and paid for, the senate, the congress, the state houses, the city halls, they got the judges in their back pocket, and they own all the big media companies so they control just about all of the news and the information you get to hear. They got you by the balls. They spend billions of dollars every year lobbying to get what they want. Well, we know what they want. They want more for themselves and less for everybody else. But I'll tell you what they don't want. They don't want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They're not interested in that. That doesn't help them.”   George Carlin

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Personally I don't think jail time is also out of the question for the harm done to people in pain, because of the greed BIG PHARMA has shown there must be records to show the corruption and the people responsible.

They should also have to pay for rehab centers to get these people help because we are loosing them at an alarming rate through overdoses etc.

Also who were the people  in government positions who let this get so far out of hand,they should lose their jobs because of incompetence and if bribes were made go directly to jail.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

This is the real war on drugs we should be fighting.... They're just cartels with board rooms and business licences.

its not all black market boner pills and hillbilly heroin, they do some good stuff too. Thats why I'd really like to see the executives behind pushing oxy do time for it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its not all black market boner pills and hillbilly heroin, they do some good stuff too. Thats why I'd really like to see the executives behind pushing oxy do time for it. 

North America as a whole is MASSIVELY over prescribed and doctors are bribed to push their largely unnecessary (and frequently more damaging than what they're treating) drugs. That's all on them. 

But yeah, they also do a bit of stuff to help people.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Purdue Pharma, Sackler family offer $10B-$12B to settle opioid lawsuits: Report

OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma has offered $10 billion to $12 billion to settle thousands of lawsuits related to its alleged role in the U.S. opioid crisis.

The proposal emerged from mediation hearings between lawyers for the Sackler family-owned pharmaceutical firm and at least 10 state attorneys general and plaintiffs’ attorneys, NBC News reported, citing sources familiar with the matter. Purdue Pharma board member David Sackler appeared at the Aug. 20 meeting in Cleveland on behalf of the Sackler family.

“While Purdue Pharma is prepared to defend itself vigorously in the opioid litigation, the company has made clear that it sees little good coming from years of wasteful litigation and appeals,” Purdue Pharma said in a statement addressing the report. “The people and communities affected by the opioid crisis need help now. Purdue believes a constructive global resolution is the best path forward, and the company is actively working with the state attorneys general and other plaintiffs to achieve this outcome.”

The drugmaker did not confirm or comment on the proposed settlement terms.

Purdue Pharma faces more than 2,000 lawsuits alleging the firm used deceptive sales practices to push the potent painkiller to the public. Plaintiffs argue the tactics contributed to the ongoing U.S. opioid crisis and factored into hundreds of thousands of deaths over the last decades.

Reports on Purdue Pharma’s proposal arose as U.S. drugmakers face unprecedented legal pressure. An Oklahoma judge ordered Johnson & Johnson on Monday to pay more than $572 million to settle lawsuits over its alleged role in the opioid crisis. Purdue Pharma previously agreed to pay $270 million to settle suits in the state.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/healthcare/purdue-pharma-sackler-opioid-lawsuits

Really hope some of the Sacklers wind up doing time.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

North America as a whole is MASSIVELY over prescribed and doctors are bribed to push their largely unnecessary (and frequently more damaging than what they're treating) drugs. That's all on them. 

well the worlds population has never been healthier or lived longer.... not defending the dirty stuff at all but without phrama companies we'd be &^@#ed. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don’t really disagree with the first portion of your post.

In 1900, life expectancy in the USA was 46.3 years for men, today is 30 years higher.

Advancement in medical field sure had something to do with it. 

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t really disagree with the first portion of your post.

In 1900, life expectancy in the USA was 46.3 years for men, today is 30 years higher.

Advancement in medical field sure had something to do with it. 

As has education, job safety, access to food/clean water, technology, better health care/medical advancement (beyond pharmaceutical) etc, etc. Let's not give them to much credit for what may or may not be their part in that. If anything there's a lot of evidence they're not in fact helping it (see: thread).

IMO big pharma does more harm than good (unless of course you're a share holder).

See above @Jimmy McGill

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1