The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Jake did make that one bad pass but the rest of the game he did the little thing rights and had a good back check and had a good chance out front....he was also trying to be a pest in front of Marky until Myers and him skated away 

maybe I watched a different game then you

While he did have the good back check and showed his speed, he let the check go right as the shot was taken, lucky there was no rebound. He seems to lose focus mid shift a lot. 

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree I wanted more from him but he didn't hurt the team last night. Also to be fair , didn't see much of him cause of the PPs and the pks. 

Playing with beagle and schaller don't scream scoring chances....

True but if he doesn't play better that's where TG will staple his ***.  With his attributes and potential there must be a reason(s) the coach won't play him on the PK / PP and puts him with the aforementioned players.  Coaches put players in positions that they are suited for or have the best opportunity to help the team win.  I think the fact you said he didn't hurt the team is exactly how much faith/confidence TG has in him right now.  That doesn't bode well for Jake in the long run.  

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

True ha but if I remember right tram didn't like the fact that he had to fight after clean hits....

I wish reeves could be on the market. 

,  ya but he still did kinda fight ,  but I rather have nikita crush ya everytime you touch the puck and  then get ragdoll every time ya try to mess with him , 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Borvat said:

True but if he doesn't play better that's where TG will staple his ***.  With his attributes and potential there must be a reason(s) the coach won't play him on the PK / PP and puts him with the aforementioned players.  Coaches put players in positions that they are suited for or have the best opportunity to help the team win.  I think the fact you said he didn't hurt the team is exactly how much faith/confidence TG has in him right now.  That doesn't bode well for Jake in the long run.  

I agree but most nights when he doesn't really show up, he still plays a decent 200 ft game....that's what green wanted from him...

i like him on a shut down line...

I think if he had a target on the other team and made that player pay every time he touches the puck, his game would come to him. 

I wish we had a play making third line center instead of sutter but. 

I think once the season starts Jake with will be on the third line again until he shows , his ready to move up. 

6 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree but most nights when he doesn't really show up, he still plays a decent 200 ft game....that's what green wanted from him...

i like him on a shut down line...

I think if he had a target on the other team and made that player pay every time he touches the puck, his game would come to him. 

I wish we had a play making third line center instead of sutter but. 

I think once the season starts Jake with will be on the third line again until he shows , his ready to move up. 

I have him starting on the fourth line at this point with the current depth (barring more concussions) but hopefully he moves up.

• Upvote 1

They should hire a fighting coach to teach everybody how to fight on skates.  How to grab the jerseys and throw jabs and haymakers.  Then see an all out brawl where Canucks stand on top.  Imagine EP40 and BB6 putting up points AND physically beating the competition.  Not saying they need to fight all the time.  But when push comes to shove, you need to man up.

::D 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

They should hire a fighting coach to teach everybody how to fight on skates.  How to grab the jerseys and throw jabs and haymakers.  Then see an all out brawl where Canucks stand on top.  Imagine EP40 and BB6 putting up points AND physically beating the competition.  Not saying they need to fight all the time.  But when push comes to shove, you need to man up.

Problem is Green probably still tell the boys to let it go.....we will win the game instead.....in honour of Brock or who ever got injured 

That hit should be suspendable, very dangerous gap between player and the boards and Tierney would have seen boesers numbers.  Eerily similar to the lack of respect on the Matheson hit on Petey.  The reason a hit like that goes down is a lack of respect/fear of retribution by the Sens.  If there was more respect you wouldn’t see that.  The boys need to send a physical message hitting the Sens top guys every chance they get in the rematch.

• Cheers 3

40 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Just go on YouTube and look up Jake virtanen hits. You might be surprised 

I think Nashville's response here is exactly what the fans want and expect when bad plays are made against us - like the one on Boeser. This is what other teams do, and it is exactly what we should be doing. We need to show some level of response to this crap. Travis says its just a "hockey play", but you know what else is a "hockey play"? Dropping 'em and making a statement! &^@# the 2min penalty if you get one! Show some, what Sutter would say, grit and balls! 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, BPA said:

You may be joking but I think that you are closer to what's needed than you may be thinking.  Not necessarily fighting, but I would like every single player in the organization to fully embrace the fact that this is a contact game.  We need to work on a culture of team toughness.  I don't really think that toughness is about how many fighters a team has, it's more about the whole team's attitude.  Not everyone has to fight but I do think that everyone, and I mean everyone, has to be prepared to make a hit now and then and take a hit now and then to make a play.  And also stick up for each other.  It's not certain people's job alone to stick up for their teammates every single player needs to have each other's back out there.  We have enough big bodies now but we still have to work on that culture of team toughness.  If we are going to go anywhere when we make the playoffs that team cohesion is really needed, but it doesn't just come out of thin air, it has to be cultivated and entrenched.

We made a few hits last night against Ottawa but we were still lacking in the toughness department.  I'm not saying that we have to turn every pre-season game into a slug-fest, it's a long season, but I am suggesting that we need to be a little more aggressive as a whole team.  Ottawa was clearly the aggressor and I think it actually helped them make the game closer than it should have been. 

Anyway the time to set the right tone is now!  Go Canucks Go!

Edited by nux_win
typo
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

You may be joking but I think that you are closer to what's needed than you may be thinking.  Not necessarily fighting, but I would like every single player in the organization to fully embrace the fact that this is a contact game.  We need to work on a culture of team toughness.  I don't really think that toughness is about how many fighters a team has, it's more about the whole team's attitude.  Not everyone has to fight but I do think that everyone, and I mean everyone, has to be prepared to make a hit now and then and take a hit now and then to make a play.  And also stick up for each other.  It's not certain people's job alone to stick up for their teammates every singly player needs to have each other's back out there.  We have enough big bodies now but we still have to work on that culture of team toughness.  If we are going to go anywhere when we make the playoffs that team cohesion is really needed, but it doesn't just come out of thin air, it has to be cultivated and entrenched.

We made a few hits last night against Ottawa but we were still lacking in the toughness department.  I'm not saying that we have to turn every pre-season game into a slug-fest, it's a long season, but I am suggesting that we need to be a little more aggressive as a whole team.  Ottawa was clearly the aggressor and I think it actually helped them make the game closer than it should have been. 

Anyway the time to set the right tone is now!  Go Canucks Go!

I agree that Team Toughness needs to be amped up a bit.  When you play team sports, you remember those who stick up for you.  And you play harder for them as well.  Turning the other cheek to max out a PP didn't do too well during the Sedins era.  I don't see it boding well for Vancouver if they keep following the same script.

• Upvote 1