The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

55 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Lmao Eriksson isnt even the 5th best pker on the team.

In no particular order. Horvat Sutter Beagle Motte Gaudette Miller Ferland are all better defensive players and potential penalty killers.

Eriksson sucks

I do not know Ferland and Miller on the PK.

Correct me if I am wrong but when Sutter was healthy wasn't the PK Sutter with Granlund and Beagle with Eriksson? If I remember right that is when our PK was dominant.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

It doesn't even need to be a fight. Every Canucks player should've been hammering opponents every change they got aftrer that hit. Where's the anger? I know it's only preseason, but that's irrelevant - one of their stars got injured on a dirty hit. I sure hope they develop that pack mentality soon. C'mon Green, grow a pair.

This... They should have shown a bit of aggression and passion.... all very well so win on the score board, but there is really nothing at stake...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Don't even get me started on Jake.  Just a complete non-factor in his home f'ing town?  I understand struggling trying to process the game but why is he struggling to understand that you have to...work hard... This thing called effort.  Like  he literally doesn't skate as hard as he can at any point in most games.  

Last night he had 3 turnovers on his first two shifts.

I saw no physicality other than pushing someone when hiding behind a ref

In the 2nd or 3rd period I can't remember but he had a chance in the slot, wide open and shot it wide

He had an awful d-zone turnover in the third that resulted in a scoring chance against.

Brutal outing when you're already in the dog house.

He honestly was invisible unless it was because of a mistake.  I really thought he would show up.  Ottawa played a much more physical brand of hockey.  When Boeser was hit from behind you could feel the fans waiting for the expected response by his team.  Never materialized.  I must say I was pretty freaking mad and would have done something if I was on the ice.  Like get my face punched in but I would have done something.  Very disheartening it was a potential team building exercise starting with a line brawl.  

1 hour ago, stawns said:

tough to determine for sure.  I was just curious where jakes 15 goals and almost 18 gpg pace put him in that company.  I get he can look lazy at times, but he also sits on the bench for long periods and it's not easy for big guys to get their mojo going.  Yet, he still produces more than most 3rd line players and he's had no decent offensive players to play with.  People who want to vilify him, should be thrilled with a possible 20 goal guy in the bottom 6 who is also one of the better takeaway players in the league.

Some of Jake's goals were timely too, not often on power plays.  Takeaways... you're right: he's right up there. 

I think if Jake never gets better than last year, he is still worth keeping.  He'll have to be paid a bit more, of course. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Borvat said:

He honestly was invisible unless it was because of a mistake.  I really thought he would show up.  Ottawa played a much more physical brand of hockey.  When Boeser was hit from behind you could feel the fans waiting for the expected response by his team.  Never materialized.  I must say I was pretty freaking mad and would have done something if I was on the ice.  Like get my face punched in but I would have done something.  Very disheartening it was a potential team building exercise starting with a line brawl.  

Jake did make that one bad pass but the rest of the game he did the little thing rights and had a good back check and had a good chance out front....he was also trying to be a pest in front of Marky until Myers and him skated away 

maybe I watched a different game then you

12 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Green needs to grow a set and tap guys on the shoulder, to take care of business, Jake can hurt players with his hits and schaller and Benn both can scrap....

green coaches the same style as the Knights but the Knights have reeves for a reason....

I wish they would hire Bert to be part of the coaching staff cause Bert has the stones to tap guys on the shoulder and telling guys to crush guys. 

Bring back crow or someone with a set that will set the tone. 

who has he hurt besides himself, dude can't even hurt a fly

• Upvote 1

I hope Brock’s concussion is nothing major! We need him to be part of this team to make the playoffs. Any missed time greatly reduces the Canucks chances. These sort of injuries never really have a time table. 

I guess we won’t know for a couple days RE any updates...:(

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

So tomorrow? If Tierney isnt in the lineup we have to wait till dec. 3rd. This wait till next game mantra is getting old. The issue should have been addressed last game.  No excuse. There weren't any pts on the line with it being preseason. 

For far too long we've let our stars get run over. This has been going on for multiple eras now. We have to start sending a message that this is not okay.

Yesterday would have been the perfect time.

The team won't become a playoff juggernaut if various star players are nursing injuries or recovering from injuries that are caused by another team's player taking liberties.

The get them on the scoreboard attitude is great, but it doesn't address the reputational issue. If teams watch tape and see the Canucks not reacting in kind to their stars being run, and the league doesn't step in adequately, those teams will use whatever they can to get ahead in the standings.

Not sure why the response is the same, but hopefully this changes.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Some of Jake's goals were timely too, not often on power plays.  Takeaways... you're right: he's right up there. 

I think if Jake never gets better than last year, he is still worth keeping.  He'll have to be paid a bit more, of course. 

I like Jake and I hope he breaks out.  At the same time, if he hovers around where he is, he will be very affordable for the next 4 years and keeps the cap manageable for JB while providing solid support for the top 6.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Jake did make that one bad pass but the rest of the game he did the little thing rights and had a good back check and had a good chance out front....he was also trying to be a pest in front of Marky until Myers and him skated away 

maybe I watched a different game then you

I guess I was just expecting more.  He had one SOG and I didn't really notice him.  I guess that's not a bad game, just not a good game either.  0 points when the Canuck's scored 6 goals and didn't notice much from a physical standpoint.

I guess vanilla is how I would describe it.  Based on where the game was - Abbotsford -  and all the media about him (wrongly or rightly) I thought he would take advantage and make a statement.  Ottawa was more physical than any of the Canucks - including Virtanen.  Eye of the beholder I guess.   

Edited by Borvat

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

I guess I was just expecting more.  He had one SOG and I didn't really notice him.  I guess that's not a bad game, just not a good game either.  0 points when the Canuck's scored 6 goals and didn't notice much from a physical standpoint. I guess vanilla is how I would describe it.  Based on where the game as - Abbbotsford -  and all the media about him (wrongly or rightly) I thought he would take advantage and make a statement.  Ottawa was more physical than any of the Canucks - including Virtanen.  Eye of the beholder I guess.   

I agree I wanted more from him but he didn't hurt the team last night. Also to be fair , didn't see much of him cause of the PPs and the pks. 

Playing with beagle and schaller don't scream scoring chances....

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I like Jake and I hope he breaks out.  At the same time, if he hovers around where he is, he will be very affordable for the next 4 years and keeps the cap manageable for JB while providing solid support for the top 6.

JV reminds me of a combination of David Booth and Steve Bernier.  You can see the potential and want him to reach it.  But ultimately doesn't pan out and is just a 3rd liner.

• Upvote 2