The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo comments on captaincy again..

Rate this topic

Rush17

22 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I dunno, if everyone was thinking someone undeserving should be captain then I see that point, but we're talking about Bo Freakin Horvat. There is literally no argument against him being the rightful captain that is tenable. Maybe someone could argue the grace period after Henrik to "wait and see" who should be captain, but then I think the better argument is that side doesn't see the bigger picture of how Bo has shown captain qualities early on and how he has been groomed to be the next one, as well as the timing of naming him on our 50th anniversary. The organization, likely, has been trying to cover up the "best kept secret" in the league and name him on our anniversary. 

I just think it's been obvious for a long time that the team and organization decided long ago that he'd be the next captain because of him being the epitome of what any NHL team would want. I mean, Petey and Brock calling him "Cap", Henrik taking him under his wing, etc. It's just so obvious that this is more than just the fans. In fact, these type of examples merely drive the "mob mentality", no?

No, I'm challenging the mob ... lol ... which is a no win sitch.

The thing is, there is an arguement against him being captain. Not because he isn't deserving or has all the qualities. It's just that there are others arriving that may be an equal or better fit. He was annointed C before any others arrived. That's not quite fair. I get that. 

I don't think it's as obvious as you say. We're seeing two sides of obvious. I could be totally wrong. I think the new future core hasn't completely arrived yet and the decision to hold off on the C reflects that. 

If I'm wrong and Bo is named C, I'm going to support that 150%. I'm just seeing it a bit differently, that's all. 

Love how you pose questions rather than label. I get where you're coming from. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, the grinder said:

the mob is the media who keeps pressing the issue of whether bo should be the captain or not ,   if bo gets asked the question on whether he would like to be the captain or not , what is he suppose to say ?  no , I would hate to see cdc if that was the answer . To call Horvat disgusting for his answers  ,  that what has people po'd, , imo  bo has been nothing but diplomatic in the captain debate , and he has not once said I want to be captain or pulled a messier on the team .,  Bo has said he would be honoured to be captain , like how can that be disgusting is beyond me .   

Rush misread that whole thing and admitted that he did. 

There is a toxic symbiotic relationship between the media and fans ... AND ... fans believing what the media says ... so if the mob is the media, the mob is also the fans (those desciples of the media).

Of course Bo would be honored. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

In what way were Bo's comments "mob-ish"? Rush never said anything about there being a mob trying to force management to make Bo captain in the original post unless Rush is claiming Bo and his dad are getting some presidential campaign or lynch mob together to get him the C. 

The original post he made this thread around was that Bo's comments are distasteful cause he answered a question about the captaincy and whether or not he could handle it. The idea that fans are lobbying for it or trying to force it via some mob mentality seems more like a backtrack after he took some heat for trying to call Bo's comments "extremely gross". 

Thread started as "Bo expects the C", now it's being walked back to "People are trying to force management to make Bo captain like a mob". It's a smart tactic to make the Bo supporter camp seem like the bad guys though. Like we are some lynch mob out here trying to force management to give Bo the C. Lol. I am pretty confident nobody on CDC is actively calling, messaging, or petitioning management/ownership to make Bo captain. I think we all have a pretty decent understanding that the things we say here aren't reaching management or the players.

Nice conflating a number of issues into one post and excessively exaggerating for emotional effect and relatablility.

My position isn't coming from the places you are claiming. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

This thread is hilarious. Bo is without a doubt the captain, the last of which is because "he was labelled" or because he has somehow lobbied for it or the like. Maybe look at the team and his performance with some context. 

First of all his performance on ice was absolutely second to none last season. I don't care that Petey had five more points as a rookie. Horvat played with $&!#ty linemates most of which were 3rd and 4th line players. He took all the tough matchups and all the defensive zone draws for the majority of the season. He still put up 27 goals and 61 points, both new career highs. He was in my opinion, the team MVP, with Marky only having an argument. 

Secondly, you can see it on how his teammates talk to him, how he leads on and off the ice, that he is without a doubt the de facto leader of the team. It's kind of ridiculous that there's posts such as "let someone grow into the role" "let the core develop further then see" when that's what has happened with Bo. I mean really, pay attention. Each and EVERY season Bo has improved himself both as a player and a leader for this team. He's the perfect guy you want for a captain. He's well spoken and clearly is capable of the pressure that comes with it in terms of media and the like.

The best part is he's still only going to get better as the team does. Give him some capable top 6 linemates and you know, a PP capable of gaining the zone (unlike the completely dysfunctional PP that was last season) and he will without a doubt be a 30 goal scorer and put up 70 points. 

I don't want to hear how he shouldn't be, or how the team should wait longer etc. He already IS the captain. And it's entirely earned. The team just needs to make it official.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Wilfred said:

This thread is hilarious. Bo is without a doubt the captain, the last of which is because "he was labelled" or because he has somehow lobbied for it or the like. Maybe look at the team and his performance with some context. 

First of all his performance on ice was absolutely second to none last season. I don't care that Petey had five more points as a rookie. Horvat played with $&!#ty linemates most of which were 3rd and 4th line players. He took all the tough matchups and all the defensive zone draws for the majority of the season. He still put up 27 goals and 61 points, both new career highs. He was in my opinion, the team MVP, with Marky only having an argument. 

Secondly, you can see it on how his teammates talk to him, how he leads on and off the ice, that he is without a doubt the de facto leader of the team. It's kind of ridiculous that there's posts such as "let someone grow into the role" "let the core develop further then see" when that's what has happened with Bo. I mean really, pay attention. Each and EVERY season Bo has improved himself both as a player and a leader for this team. He's the perfect guy you want for a captain. He's well spoken and clearly is capable of the pressure that comes with it in terms of media and the like.

The best part is he's still only going to get better as the team does. Give him some capable top 6 linemates and you know, a PP capable of gaining the zone (unlike the completely dysfunctional PP that was last season) and he will without a doubt be a 30 goal scorer and put up 70 points. 

I don't want to hear how he shouldn't be, or how the team should wait longer etc. He already IS the captain. And it's entirely earned. The team just needs to make it official.

Defensive much? So emotional. There are other ways to look at this. Deal with that. And I do respect your opinion. Can you reciprocate that respect or just ... whaaaa?

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

15 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Defensive much? So emotional. There are other ways to look at this. Deal with that. And I do respect your opinion. Can you reciprocate that respect or just ... whaaaa?

I can see how some may think another captain-less year is an option, as Petey may well be a superstar and leader, but I do not see it that way. I also don't see Quinn or Boes as captain material. Or any other younger core players eligible. I think it would be extremely clear in a poll that most think Horvat is the captain. In addition to all his tremendous qualities he was mentored by our previous captain and passing the gauntlet on is all too right.

I think we will get our answer sooner than later, everyone is entitled to their opinion 
:P

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Rush misread that whole thing and admitted that he did. 

There is a toxic symbiotic relationship between the media and fans ... AND ... fans believing what the media says ... so if the mob is the media, the mob is also the fans (those desciples of the media).

Of course Bo would be honored. 

fans don't go and ask bo on tv whether he wants to be the captain or not,  now do they ?   the media does that ,  a long with fake news , stories about a crow ,,a vegan who is trying to sue her neighbors for bbqing meat  or what ever the flavour of the day is .      do ever think the media  for once might be right about bo being a good  captain ?  

Edited by the grinder
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, the grinder said:

fans don't go and ask bo on tv whether he wants to be the captain or not,  now do they ?   the media does that ,  a long with fake news , stories about a crow ,,a vegan who is trying to sue her neighbors for bbqing meat  or what ever the flavour of the day is .      do ever think the media  for once might be right about bo being a good  captain ?  

No, because the media's business model is centered around telling fans whst they want to hear. And then the fans regurgitate what the media says, validating perhaps faulty logic or beliefs ... so you can't trust that process. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I can see how some may think another captain-less year is an option, as Petey may well be a superstar and leader, but I do not see it that way. I also don't see Quinn or Boes as captain material. Or any other younger core players eligible. I think it would be extremely clear in a poll that most think Horvat is the captain. In addition to all his tremendous qualities he was mentored by our previous captain and passing the gauntlet on is all too right.

I think we will get our answer sooner than later, everyone is entitled to their opinion 
:P

It really boils down to Horvat or Pettersson. I agree that Brock and Quinn are fine players, but they don't exude captain material to me.

Management has said that they want the next captain to be ready for the role. If Bo isn't ready at 24, then suddenly EP is at 20? Of are they going to wait another 5 years before naming a captain to be sure they make the right decision? (perhaps Podkolzin would be in the running at this point, but might need to wait a few more years until he's ready too) Or they could simply chose the guy that has captain quality.

There is a new core forming and the one leading the way is Bo. And unless the plan is to trade Bo (perhaps the team knows something behind the scenes that we don't) then there's really no other choice. The reasons given why he shouldn't be a captain really has no argument as to him being a poor choice of a captain beyond trying to bend and twist his words into a negative form which even then is a stretch.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

No, because the media's business model is centered around telling fans whst they want to hear. And then the fans regurgitate what the media says, validating perhaps faulty logic or beliefs ... so you can't trust that process. 

lol is that a fact ,  the media tell us what we want to hear   and the sheep follow . lol   that not logical at all  , so your saying if the media said edler  should be the next captain fans would believe that .   I would say that's not gonna happen   

Edited by the grinder

Bo of course is a great choice as captain.  The dilemma is in 2-3 years Petey may be the undisputed top alpha dog on the team.  Maybe it’s best naming Bo as captain and letting EP just play.  Other than EP being younger he is exudes a lot of hockey leader type qualities teams and coaches look for in particular 2 way play.  We are really in the category of a good problem to have. The real question is Bo strong enough to take the C today and pass to baton in 3-4 years time.

Edited by flat land fish
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol is that a fact ,  the media tell us what we want to hear   and the sheep follow . lol   that not logical at all  , so your saying if the media said edler  should be the next captain fans would believe that .   I would say that's not gonna happen   

The truth hurts. Sorry! 

Baaaa!

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yeah, Rush acknowledged that he misread the situation and his language wasn't the best. People are interpreting that he doesn't want Bo to be captain because that's what fans want ... but that's not what he's saying. Not imo.

People do want Bo to be captain because there's a strong case for it, sure, absolutely. You can indeed make a case that the mob made him the heir way too early before any other prospects arrived that could challenge for the C. That doesn't mean Bo isn't deserving or shouldn't be C either, fans just set the expectations before anyone else arrived to challenge for the role.

On 9/5/2019 at 11:42 AM, Rush17 said:

I don't think Bo should be captain. If it happens I'll support him but he isn't even our top 3 players in raw skill. 

Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes all have more hockey talent. They are all younger and have many more years to grow. Bo is like our first born son. Just because he is older and more advanced doesn't mean he is the best candidate.

I don't think the fourth or fifth best player on a team should be named captain. I believe it should be one of your tip top players. If we want to get Pettersson signed at a reasonable term captaincy imo could be a good bargaining chip. I don't see Bo getting the C. I believe Jim and Travis believe Petey is the answer. They will want to give him more time tho.

I honestly don't know why he doesn't want him to be captain, but he certainly doesn't want him to be captain.

1) He's gone on reasons suggesting that he (and his dad) have been lobbying for it so it's disgusting. 2) He's suggested that Bo isn't skilled enough to be named captain. And 3) he's suggested that fans shouldn't be forcing the issue.

1) As he and you have mentioned, he's misread the situation in basically every comment Bo (and his dad) have made in regards to the captaincy. Sounds like a witch-hunt waiting for the day he slips up on something so he can say aha I knew he shouldn't be captain, but yet all his preconceived notions have been wrong based on his misinterpretations.

2) Skill has never been a critical criteria for a captain with examples throughout the league and past Stanley Cup winners. Skill could be part of the criteria for some, but that hardly dismisses Bo as a candidate and it shouldn't be put that high in the priority as he was suggesting in the quoted post above.

3) Fans can say whatever they want. We all know the decision will come from the team and management. If fans/media dictated what goes on with the team, then what a gong show this team would be. It's a great thing that the team and management can block out the noise and make proper decisions (thank you Benning). But this also doesn't mean that fans are wrong all the time.

If he simply wanted to have an argument for Pettersson to be captain, then there are justifiable reasons for him to be captain. But his negativity and dismissal towards Bo being captain is completely unwarranted and wrong.

No "mob" made any decisions. Bo's career path could've gone in many directions. He's demonstrated in many ways why he could be a captain throughout his time (which adds experience) and the team has identified him as a leader and has been grooming him as such. The fans had no control in any of this.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I honestly don't know why he doesn't want him to be captain, but he certainly doesn't want him to be captain.

1) He's gone on reasons suggesting that he (and his dad) have been lobbying for it so it's disgusting. 2) He's suggested that Bo isn't skilled enough to be named captain. And 3) he's suggested that fans shouldn't be forcing the issue.

1) As he and you have mentioned, he's misread the situation in basically every comment Bo (and his dad) have made in regards to the captaincy. Sounds like a witch-hunt waiting for the day he slips up on something so he can say aha I knew he shouldn't be captain, but yet all his preconceived notions have been wrong based on his misinterpretations.

2) Skill has never been a critical criteria for a captain with examples throughout the league and past Stanley Cup winners. Skill could be part of the criteria for some, but that hardly dismisses Bo as a candidate and it shouldn't be put that high in the priority as he was suggesting in the quoted post above.

3) Fans can say whatever they want. We all know the decision will come from the team and management. If fans/media dictated what goes on with the team, then what a gong show this team would be. It's a great thing that the team and management can block out the noise and make proper decisions (thank you Benning). But this also doesn't mean that fans are wrong all the time.

If he simply wanted to have an argument for Pettersson to be captain, then there are justifiable reasons for him to be captain. But his negativity and dismissal towards Bo being captain is completely unwarranted and wrong.

No "mob" made any decisions. Bo's career path could've gone in many directions. He's demonstrated in many ways why he could be a captain throughout his time (which adds experience) and the team has identified him as a leader and has been grooming him as such. The fans had no control in any of this.

Ok, cool. I said before ... arguing against the mob is a no win sitch. It's cool. I respect your pov on this. 

6 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Bo of course is a great choice as captain.  The dilemma is in 2-3 years Petey may be the undisputed top alpha dog on the team.  Maybe it’s best naming Bo as captain and letting EP just play.  Other than EP being younger he is exudes a lot of hockey leader type qualities teams and coaches look for in particular 2 way play.  We are really in the category of a good problem to have. The real question is Bo strong enough to take the C today and pass to baton in 3-4 years time.

EP is often described as Datsyuk in how he plays. Datsyuk was never captain and he turned out fine. Their team was fine and won a couple of Cups in the process. EP may wear an A at some point if Bo is the C and I'm sure EP being a true leader is going to be honoured anyway to be part of the leadership group. There will be no controversy here unless people (media) create one.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Ok, cool. I said before ... arguing against the mob is a no win sitch. It's cool. I respect your pov on this. 

The problem with using the word "mob" is the negative connotation of it. It's making it sound like a group is trying to force the situation. This isn't true. The "mob" here is only against the OP's ideas towards Bo and nothing to do with the captaincy decision that we have no bearing on beyond stating our opinions.

If there is any legitimate reason why Bo shouldn't be captain, I'd love to discuss it with or without a "mob". If the OP created a thread that EP should be captain, it would be more of a real debate IMO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1