The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo comments on captaincy again..

Rate this topic

Rush17

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Two questions for you:

1) What does Petey bring (besides point totals) to the table as a leader that Bo doesn't?

AND

2) If you had to choose an all-time best Canucks captain who would you choose?

1. With the small sample size in the NHL it is tough to say for Petey. I think both bring very similar aspects when it comes to personally traits. they're both well respected, humble and classy individuals who never take a shift off and always give their best capable performances on any given night. They're pretty similar when it comes to that, they just show it differently as they're different talents and people. As I have stated before as well Bo is a worthy candidate.

2. That's a tough one. Linden was heart and soul. Played injured in the playoffs and never gave up. I remember that one story I heard I can't recall if I heard it correctly that he had to  injections for his ribs during an intermission and his teammates heard him screaming in the backgrounds but once he got back to the dressing room he was all ready to go. That alone speaks volumes. Still appreciates this city, has given a lot into(thanks for club 16) and even came back as a President. Good humble person

Henrik was a world class talent and person, both Sedins were. They came here as foreigners to a country that wasn't their home and they made Vancouver their city, both have given so much to the community, they both handle the media so well, even when we lost the finals they were out there to answer those tough questions as Aquaman was supposedly losing his mind. You can talk about his Ironman streak and how he was playing injured trying to help us into a playoff spot, was that back in 2016? didn't work though and probably not smart but can't question his heart and dedication to this team.  I wasn't around when Stan Smyl was here so I can't really comment on him.

Man I can't decide. We've had such good captains and we have good candidates now.

I'm going to largely remove myself from the Bo discussion. But I do recall on the patcast last season Bo had a story of Petey in the locker room that was absolutely fantastic. 

He basically said it's an honour to be here a dream come true. Then said we have to be better on the pk. 

I believe Petey expects alot of himself which in turn puts pressure on those around him to live up to his expectations. 

22 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I'm going to largely remove myself from the Bo discussion. But I do recall on the patcast last season Bo had a story of Petey in the locker room that was absolutely fantastic. 

He basically said it's an honour to be here a dream come true. Then said we have to be better on the pk. 

I believe Petey expects alot of himself which in turn puts pressure on those around him to live up to his expectations. 

I, too, am done (Bianca's match will be on soon).

Petey's already doing that....so he doesn't have to be named Captain to do what he does.  It's happening organically.

But you still need someone to address the media, refs, etc., etc.   So let him lead by example and let another guy take care of the details.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The best comparable to our situation IMO:

Gabriel Landeskog to Nate MacKinnon 

imo is like

Bo Horvat to Elias Pettersson

The age gap between both sets of players are similar and both have similar roles on their respective teams. Bo and Gabriel are both skilled power forwards. MacKinnon and Pettersson are the elite high end skill that drives their teams offence. Some including myself feel Nate MacKinnon would be the best captain for the Aves as he is the emotional leader of the club. I feel Petey is the emotional leader of our guys on the ice. That is the best comparable I can think of. The only difference is Landeskog was named Captain young before MacKinnon really arrived as where Bo has yet to be named Captain. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I, too, am done (Bianca's match will be on soon).

Petey's already doing that....so he doesn't have to be named Captain to do what he does.  It's happening organically.

But you still need someone to address the media, refs, etc., etc.   So let him lead by example and let another guy do all the details.

I agree the captaincy is just a glorified title. Teams are leader by leadership groups. I do however see great marketability of Pettersson as the C down the road. He is capture the hearts and minds of the young kids today. Those are tomorrow's customers. I am excited just to get this season going! This off-season is making us all go crazy lol.

I don't recall an off-season feeling so long in a really long time. I hope we have an lengthy playoff run to make next summer much more enjoyable!

10 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

The best comparable to our situation IMO:

Gabriel Landeskog to Nate MacKinnon 

imo is like

Bo Horvat to Elias Pettersson

The age gap between both sets of players are similar and both have similar roles on their respective teams. Bo and Gabriel are both skilled power forwards. MacKinnon and Pettersson are the elite high end skill that drives their teams offence. Some including myself feel Nate MacKinnon would be the best captain for the Aves as he is the emotional leader of the club. I feel Petey is the emotional leader of our guys on the ice. That is the best comparable I can think of. The only difference is Landeskog was named Captain young before MacKinnon really arrived as where Bo has yet to be named Captain. 

Largely remove = 9 minutes?

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Largely remove = 9 minutes?

That was my final comment on Bo. I am willing to talk petey still. I found that comparable interesting. Looking at the age difference tho MacKinnon is only 2 years younger so maybe not the most ideal comp but the best I can think of.

22 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Bolded above

It is very tough to make the argument for Petey.

1 He has one that's one season of NHL hockey in his resume

2 He did not have a comparable leader or leaders to learn from here in Vancouver

3 Being compared to Gretzky and "not letting it get to his head", how do you know? Because he didnt say it to you or you didnt read some hack that reported it? I agree with you he doesnt seem to have had any bad reaction to that but how do we both know for sure? I dont think players read the media much.

4 How do you know whether Petey says anything in the dressing room?Does the things a Captain does on the road? or organizes anything needed for media, public relations, group dinners, picks players up from the airport, is the one players go to for answers or help on any number of issues, etc. answer, you dont. I dont either. I do know that the Captain of a team emerges whether the fans want that player, like that player or understand what a Captain is. 

I am not running Petey down he is a great player and i hope his best years are ahead of him. But a Captain isnt about being the best player on the ice. Its a lot of responsibility, its a pain in the butt for some. Its about being the best suited guy to talk to the media after a tough loss. Its about performing to the best of your abilities consistently no matter what is asked of you by the team or coach. Its about doing the crappy things even though it might not be best for your next contract but its best for the team.Like taking all the defensive zone face offs when you could have led the team in scoring.

Petey has had one good season. He plays well at both ends of the ice. He puts out the effort we expect from a star player. 

He is Bure to Linden

He is Kane to Toews

He is Gaudreau to Giordano

Petey is awesome , Bo is Captain.

I really don't think it is.

1 Yeah but like I have stated if he had more time things might look different hence why I would want to wait a year. Especially to see how these players perform late in the season when things really matter and who helps lead us if we do make the playoffs.

2 Neither did a lot of guys who have become captain in the NHL. It is a bonus to have for sure though.

3/4 All the various interviews in which it is brought up. Every interview I've seen him in. Just like how we see Bo is via every interview we see him in. Both are humble, non-egotistical players who give their heart out each shift.. Did I say like I knew all that stuff? Idk if I did personally. I couldn't find it. If I did I didn't meant to. I just know everything about Petey and Bo through what I have been capable of seeing just like you.

Yeah I get that it's being able to handle of that responsibility and pressure and I feel like he is capable of doing that. He's dealt with pressure and expectations these last two years with his high rise. It's easy to see the context of it. It can be about being the best player on the ice. I never said it strictly need to be and didn't think that you should base your decision off that. I know I stated that. I know it can really work out well though look at Crosby via Pittsburgh.

Not understating Bo as captain. I think this is my 3rd time stating he is a well deserving candidate. I am just not sleeping on Pettersson.

He is capable of being the Henrik to the Canucks too.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

26 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

1. With the small sample size in the NHL it is tough to say for Petey. I think both bring very similar aspects when it comes to personally traits. they're both well respected, humble and classy individuals who never take a shift off and always give their best capable performances on any given night. They're pretty similar when it comes to that, they just show it differently as they're different talents and people. As I have stated before as well Bo is a worthy candidate.

2. That's a tough one. Linden was heart and soul. Played injured in the playoffs and never gave up. I remember that one story I heard I can't recall if I heard it correctly that he had to  injections for his ribs during an intermission and his teammates heard him screaming in the backgrounds but once he got back to the dressing room he was all ready to go. That alone speaks volumes. Still appreciates this city, has given a lot into(thanks for club 16) and even came back as a President. Good humble person

Henrik was a world class talent and person, both Sedins were. They came here as foreigners to a country that wasn't their home and they made Vancouver their city, both have given so much to the community, they both handle the media so well, even when we lost the finals they were out there to answer those tough questions as Aquaman was supposedly losing his mind. You can talk about his Ironman streak and how he was playing injured trying to help us into a playoff spot, was that back in 2016? didn't work though and probably not smart but can't question his heart and dedication to this team.  I wasn't around when Stan Smyl was here so I can't really comment on him.

Man I can't decide. We've had such good captains and we have good candidates now.

I like your responses. And they hit on my points as well, in that Petey is also a worthy candidate, but no more worthy than Bo, as Bo brings everything Petey does but with an added handful of NHL experience being groomed under Hank.

Also, it is tough to choose between Linden and Hank, but I think most Canucks fans are ready for a captain who would've punched Marchand in his weasel face in 2011 rather than take it on the chin. Leadership comes in many forms, such as Hank's and Nazzy's quiet leadership, but when push comes to shove in the playoffs, someone like Linden is needed more as a leader, and Bo fits that bill over Petey or anyone else.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

That was my final comment on Bo. I am willing to talk petey still. I found that comparable interesting. Looking at the age difference tho MacKinnon is only 2 years younger so maybe not the most ideal comp but the best I can think of.

As per Sonoman:

62625AFA-FD05-4FE6-80C2-84E63B82B873.gif

AKA:

1. Please just stop.

2. Please do not post anymore.

3. Please do not make any new topics.

4. When does school start?

5. Bring back the minus.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

I like your responses. And they hit on my points as well, in that Petey is also a worthy candidate, but no more worthy than Bo, as Bo brings everything Petey does but with an added handful of NHL experience being groomed under Hank.

Also, it is tough to choose between Linden and Hank, but I think most Canucks fans are ready for a captain who would've punched Marchand in his weasel face in 2011 rather than take it on the chin. Leadership comes in many forms, such as Hank's and Nazzy's quiet leadership, but when push comes to shove in the playoffs, someone like Linden is needed more as a leader, and Bo fits that bill over Petey or anyone else.

You can't really go wrong with either in both questions.

I get that. I feel like people want that grittier, stand up for yourself, captain which Bo is. Nothing wrong with that

I am on the fence personally. Only reason why I am arguing Petey is because the majority are set on Horvat and I just feel the need to put his name out there for discussion. To make people think about it a bit more like I am essentially.

I find the "finality" of this board inteesting.

There is this perception that all players must play here for their entire career.

That captains must stay captain forever.

However Lou gave up the C and went on to some very good years here.

Joe Thornton just re-signed in San Jose years after relenquishing the C. He seems happy to stay there.

Doug Lidster stayed after sharing the C with Trevor, it seems it was understood, and there were no hard feelings.

Maybe one day it will be Petey's time to wear the C but right now it seems that it should be Bo's time.

Perhaps the reason 7 teams do not have captains is because they are conflicted in the same way that we are.

Maybe the fact that so many teams do not have captains signals that we are in a paradigm shift, not yet complete, that the role of captain is not pemanent and relinquishing the C will not be seen as a great embarassment.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

You can't really go wrong with either in both questions.

I get that. I feel like people want that grittier, stand up for yourself, captain which Bo is. Nothing wrong with that

I am on the fence personally. Only reason why I am arguing Petey is because the majority are set on Horvat and I just feel the need to put his name out there for discussion. To make people think about it a bit more like I am essentially.

I'm all for contrarian ideas, but I personally think this is the wrong time to play devil's advocate. Having a captain who is willing to drop the gloves does more for a team than one who receives multiple punches in the face without a response. 

Just now, Jester13 said:

I'm all for contrarian ideas, but I personally think this is the wrong time to play devil's advocate. Having a captain who is willing to drop the gloves does more for a team than one who receives multiple punches in the face without a response. 

That's under the implication of a lot of things, like that Petey would put up with that if he was in that sort of situation. Hard to say. I definitely wouldn't expect him to drop the gloves. I could entertain the idea that we have Ferland now and that Petey can just score and stare down like he did against the Latvian bench in the IIHF World Hockey Championships when one of their players decided to act like a goof.

For certain though, the grittier aspects you could want in a potential leader are one pro Bo has. That point, I cannot argue against. I feel like people want that change in leadership than the last one. It's natural that people want that change. We all know there are different types of leadership in the NHL and being stuck with the same type for the next generation can feel stagnant. Change can be good too.

In terms of playing the devils advocate I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing. If anything it is a testament to our team having quality players and people that are capable of being leaders of this team. Hell, I could start making arguments for Boeser but I don't really want to. Point being, the problem we are having is a pretty damn good one.

All in all, I am still gonna be on the fence after this. Don't have a problem with either choice as it stands. There's still a lot I can unravel about each player and maybe something I find can sway me one way or another.

• Cheers 1

Bo for captain! Ha I like Petey but I think his better off focusing on the game and putting up points...I also want a captain that with drop the gloves to spark the team....like iggy fighting vinny in the cup final... Kinda like Dustin brown in La....

Nothing of the old era bull of turning the cheek 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The thing is Bo never had that sort of impact early in his career. He didn't instantly change the dynamic of our team and become our best and most important player I also do think the fact that Petey showed respect to JB was qualities of a captain. He paid tribute to someone who was a supporter/fan of him early on showing a great appreciation. It was very humbling of him as he didn't need to say anything on the matter, especially on a platform such as the NHL Awards as a part of his Calder winning speech. It is a very good character quality.

As I have said if Petey started when Bo did then the majority would want him captain. It, personally makes me want to wait on something like this. Like I want to see who steps up and helps us get into the playoffs and then who steps up big time in the playoffs.

Dastyuk doesn't remind me of him when it comes to personality traits, Datsyuk is one of a kind in that remark. On the ice sure, I think Pettersson has a bit of Dastyuk and Crosby in him. In terms of personality he reminds me of a Classy humble Swede, kind of like the Sedins and Lidstrom. 

I am not trying to negate Horvat as a candidate as I think he is very well deserving and would be fine with him as captain. I just want Pettersson to be given the chance to throw his name into the hat and be given the opportunity to change peoples minds. As our MVP he should be granted that opportunity to prove to the masses.

I am fine with waiting another season

bo was 19  on heavy veteran  team  with sedin kesler burrows etc etc  , playing on the fourth line winning 50 percent of his face offs ,   if petey showed up in the nhl at 19 on the same team he would be playing third line minutes with av coaching , and you think petey took a beating this year ?  it would be nothing like a beating he would of taken at 18 , 5 years ago  ,  

im not saying petey wouldn't of had success 5 years ago , but different team time place and coach different results   , petey does have leadership qualities and good character , and one quality petey has, he is humble , humble enough to call bo cap