The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Nucks @ Flames / Flames @ Nucks

Rate this topic

xereau

2 minutes ago, fecklund said:

We'll be dealing with the same problem in 2 years when Peety looks to get $13 Million per and a couple other guys will be looking for raises... Hughes, Horvat, Boeser (again) .....
This team is only going to win if Benning (or whomever) can keep the top shelf full and spend VERY wisely on supporting cast.

Maybe - Brock is better than Willy and he signed for less.  The Mathews deal was ok / good what's going to kill them is Willy & Marner plus the 11/year they are paying JT.    This ... spend VERY wisely on supporting cast ... is part that has me worried about JB.  He has over spent and the supporting cast and that will come back to haunt him.

2 minutes ago, Grape said:

Scoring is pretty random, especially with a 20 minute sample. 

I mean, even if you're not watching, the shot attempts being at something like 33-3 should tell you Calgary at least doesn't suck, not the other way around haha

They should be outshooting an AHL opponent by that margin.

The score indicates they’ve had almost zero finish however.

3 minutes ago, fecklund said:

Yeah totally different era. Even watching this old game between Canucks/Flames, there aren't really any notable players out there aside from Bure. Most of those guys would be really lucky to even sniff an NHL lineup today.

Of the guys in the early 90s:

Lumme would be good, Bure obviously, Linden, Momesso, Probably Ronning due to shiftiness... probably more as a winger though. "Early" Babych would make the cut, he slowed down a LOT towards the end though. I'm struggling to think of others that would be quick enough in Today's game. Geoff Courtnall probably, he had wheels too.

Murzyn was a pylon then, so it'd be amusing now to see how much faster he is than Lucic.

14 minutes ago, Grape said:

Shots 17-1 Calgary with 3 mins left in the first.

It's basically Calgary's entire lineup vs Utica + Baertschi, Virtanen.

That being said 17-1 is still pretty crazy of a difference. Calgary looks good.

Stecher as well, but yeah, that's about it.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They should be outshooting an AHL opponent by that margin.

The score indicates they’ve had almost zero finish however.

I mean that margin is what you'd expect from a Canada vs Kazakhstan game, not a NHL team vs partial AHL team + a few NHL players team. I'm certainly not expecting our A team to outshoot their B team as badly later tonight, I'd be very glad if they did. I certainly don't think you'll think that our A team is bad if we outplay them this badly.

Calgary looks impressive. 

Edited by Grape

1 minute ago, brownky said:

Of the guys in the early 90s:

Lumme would be good, Bure obviously, Linden, Momesso, Probably Ronning due to shiftiness... probably more as a winger though. "Early" Babych would make the cut, he slowed down a LOT towards the end though. I'm struggling to think of others that would be quick enough in Today's game. Geoff Courtnall probably, he had wheels too.

Murzyn was a pylon then, so it'd be amusing now to see how much faster he is than Lucic.

Russty (Courtnall) had serious wheels too. He could skate as fast backwards as he could forward!
Speaking in general though... look how much faster/better players have gotten.... i mean look at the 80's... Gretzky was blowing 45mph slapshots past goalies that were barely wearing a roll of Charmin on their legs.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cali Canuck said:

Maybe - Brock is better than Willy and he signed for less.  The Mathews deal was ok / good what's going to kill them is Willy & Marner plus the 11/year they are paying JT.    This ... spend VERY wisely on supporting cast ... is part that has me worried about JB.  He has over spent and the supporting cast and that will come back to haunt him.

See, I don't think he has at all. Eriksson will be off the books, As will Sutter, Baertshi, Beagle are all over in 3 years or fewer. They may re-sign, they might get the boot before then, but their deals are all expired in any case. The Luongo Re-cap (which is what really screwed us) will be history too.

We paid more to UFAs because we were a crap team who needed to fill a roster. Now we have a filled roster with two or three emerging talents in the game who want to be here, and reinforcements in Russia playing out the rest of his deal there - while improving in a men's league (probably better than the AHL to boot).

Now we can attract the guys who want to be here. Roussel is a smokin' deal for what he brings. The bottom line guys who want to be here will be here, whether they're our draft-ees or a couple UFA/Trade pickups. I think we're in good shape, and the Pettersson deal can set a benchmark as well, much like the Malkin/Crosby deals did for Pittsburgh. "You aren't better than this, so you aren't making more than this". If Petey gets paid in that 8-10 range, that sets the tone for everybody else going forward too.

Is Petersson 2-4m better than Eriksson? I think so.

• Upvote 2