The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Nucks @ Flames / Flames @ Nucks

Rate this topic

xereau

54 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

More to whine about, wahoo!

It's only game 1/2 of preseason. If you ever followed a preseason, you would know they weren't going to ice an A squad. The fact that they're playing in Victoria at all is a privilege. If you want to whine and complain then perhaps the Canucks should never come back to Victoria for camp again.

I guess you want to see EP dominate only to have some plug end his season in Victoria?

EP was flying in camp and gave everyone a show already. There's not much rust to shake off for him and we have a game tomorrow.

Heck yes, Victoria people should whine and complain.

If you're from the island you get it. Going to a game in Vancouver is expensive with ferries, hotel, etc costing more than the tickets. So ya... this is disappointing. Especially with what they were charging for tickets to an exhibition game.

EP, Hughes, or whoever can get injured in ANY pre-season game played anywhere

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Good interview.

At the end when he talks about "hockey has always been big here" (in Victoria), he missed the opportunity to mention that the last time a BC team won The Stanley Cup was the team right here in Victoria, several years after the Vancouver Millionaires won their's, the Victoria Cougars (since moved to BCHL PG Cougars).

We're kickin' the season off in Stanley Cup Land!  GCG! 

Close.  Did you know that those Victoria Cougars formed the foundation for the Detroit Red Wings?

When Detroit was awarded an expansion franchise in 1926 the old WHL was on verge of collapse.  Frank and Lester Patrick sold the Cougars' roster to the new Detroit franchise which kept the team name for the first few years.

Personally, I think one thing the Royals owners have missed the boat on is honouring some of that past.  There should be banners in the barn for the old Victoria Cougars.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I don't. 

I didn't buy tickets because I've watched enough preseason in my life to know the stars don't play (surprised Bo's playing) and the good roster players that actually dress get like 7mins of ice time.

I would have waited in line at the presale for reasonably priced tickets, but $75 per for an AHL game..nope

Same here, was originally going to go but at $150+ for 2 tickets and me having to take 2-3 hours early off work to get down to Victoria, no thanks I'll just see the 2/3 games over at Rogers instead 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, tas said:

half.of rogers arena is still more than a sellout in victoria ...

but regardless, don't you think what you're pointing out might be EXACTLY why they've set the roster as they have? they know that victoria is going to sell out regardless of who they have in the lineup, so save the marquee names for rogers arena so you can hopefully get more butts in seats.

if a preseason lineup featuring hughes and pettersson will only fill half the seats at rogers, how bad would it be if those two WEREN'T in the lineup?

well victoria has a population of what compared to vancouver...its about getting more people involved...the blue jays look at what happens when they go to seattle if team is doing well with key stars...you need to play the good players  against the b team and play the ahl against the star teams...

11 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Close.  Did you know that those Victoria Cougars formed the foundation for the Detroit Red Wings?

When Detroit was awarded an expansion franchise in 1926 the old WHL was on verge of collapse.  Frank and Lester Patrick sold the Cougars' roster to the new Detroit franchise which kept the team name for the first few years.

Personally, I think one thing the Royals owners have missed the boat on is honouring some of that past.  There should be banners in the barn for the old Victoria Cougars.

Thanks, I did not know that.

(The Victoria Cougars junior team did move to Prince George though.)

And I agree that banners should recognize the accomplishment.

In fact, I have lobbied for the PG Cougars to hang something appropriate as well.

The more good karma or Mojo we can get going, the better, imo.

We are going to Win The Cup with this group, maybe not this year, but soon enough.

I can't wait to see Bo and Petey and Quinn and Company skating around with The Cup!

And The Rumble starts tonight!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Thanks, I did not know that.

(The Victoria Cougars junior team did move to Prince George though.)

And I agree that banners should recognize the accomplishment.

In fact, I have lobbied for the PG Cougars to hang something appropriate as well.

The more good karma or Mojo we can get going, the better, imo.

We are going to Win The Cup with this group, maybe not this year, but soon enough.

I can't wait to see Bo and Petey and Quinn and Company skating around with The Cup!

And The Rumble starts tonight!

Agreed.  A funny story... I moved to Kamloops the same year the Cougars moved to PG.  I watched the PG Cougars play the Blazers in an exhibition game.  They were still wearing leftover Victoria Cougars jerseys for the pre-season.  ::D

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, hockeygod77 said:

some of the best games ever have been pre season games ...i have benn watching hockey for over 40 years..

There was a gem a couple yrs back in Cal(most guys were in China)..but I remember Jake having a big game..something like a 5-4 or 5-3 final, I think? was good, hard-skating shinny.

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

There used to be a Stanley Cup banner in the Save-on-Foods Memorial Arena.   It hung at the North end of the ice, but for some reason it wasn't there during training camp.

Maybe the Canucks had it removed out of jealousy?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

There used to be a Stanley Cup banner in the Save-on-Foods Memorial Arena.   It hung at the North end of the ice, but for some reason it wasn't there during training camp.

Maybe the Canucks had it removed out of jealousy?

I've seen it.  It's hanging in one of the suites now.