The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Optimal 4 Lines That Gives Us The Best Chance To Win This season In The New NHL

Rate this topic

nuckfanfromafrica

New NHL involves rolling lines back to back that have speed and skill. Traditional roster make up of just one top or 2 lines with bottom 6 forward is no longer optimal. I believe in rolling a top 9 or 12 forward line, removing the label of 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th line. Forwards should complement each other and work well together on the ice. Each deficiency in a player complemented by a player(s) on the line

JT Miller – Pettersson – Goldobin

Skilled line with size and net presence in Miller. Pettersson and Goldobin have the best chemistry as the team is currently constructed. Adding 2 playmakers in Miller & Goldy, frees up Pettersson to find openings to use his shot more. Pettersson doesn’t have to hang onto the puck as long as he does now. He is no longer a secret as teams are keying in on him more. JT Miller is far more effective as a Left wing as equally as Goldy is a better player on the right wing. Pettersson brings out the best in Goldy when on the same line. The biggest deficiency in Goldy’s game (lack of hussle) is offset by plenty of hussle in Miller & Petey. Complement the line with a defensive pair of Edler – Myers. Miller as a right shot receiving dishes from 3 left shot forwards.

Ferland – Hovart – Pearson

A straight forward line that crashes and bangs. Strong board play. Horvat at times is a one man show that tries to do it all on his own regardless of who is on his line. Ferland and Pearson add that body banging ability along the board and net presence that battle loose pucks from shots from the point. Pearson has an under rated shot that could be best served as a left shot playing right wing. Complement the line with a defensive pairing of Hughes & Tanev. Hughes adds the playmaking center like rover element to the line.

Baertschi – Gaudette – Boeser

A skilled winger in Baertshi complementing an up and coming center man in Gaudette and Boeser as the primary recipient of feeds in his wheel house to release his shots. Reminiscing of the Baertschi-horvat-boeser line.  Complement the line with a defensive pairing of either Edler – Myers OR Hughes-Tanev depending on opponents match up.

Virtanen – Beagle – Sutter

Virtanen needs to be used as a Left winger. He tends to use his speed more on that wing. Sutter as a placeholder for Antoine Roussel once off IR.

Leivo (Green’s love child): extra forward or traded. Definitely not on the power play

Motte: extra forward

Eriksson – traded or minors

Loaded up unit of : Hovart - Pettersson - Boeser

Hughes - Myers

once in a while if momentum in a game is required followed by an energy line of:

Ferland - Miller - Virtanen

then back to the regular units

Power Play Personnel:

Pettersson Unit:

features a big right shot from the point in Myers,. Big cycle dot shots from the Left and right wall in Petey & Boeser.  A behind the net  playmaker & net presence in Miller. A rover puck carrier & QB in Hughes (less drop pass on breakouts).

Boeser – Miller – Pettersson

Hughes – Myers

Rational:

-          Left shoot D pass from the point (Hughes) to Petey for one timers

-          Aside from net presences, Miller serves as a behind the net set up for Boeser on the left wall

-          Right side setup from a left shot playmaker (Pettersson) to  right big shot from the point in Myers

-          A right shot D pass from Myers from the point to Boeser in Ovi’s office for one timers

Horvat Unit:

your basic crash and bang unit in Horvat & Ferland. Next best D shot in Edler. A skilled playmaker in Goldobin and a potentially lethal shot in Gaudette.

Gaudette –Ferland -  Horvat – Goldobin

Edler

Rational:

-          Your basic point shot from Edler with 2 net presence in Ferland & Horvat.

-          Gaudette as a Boeser option on the second unit. Goldobin as a skilled playmaker that can equally shot from Pettersson’s office.

Edited by nuckfanfromafrica
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

I like the lines but Boeser won’t get enough ice time on the third line.

was thinking less in terms of 1st or 2nd or 3rd line. whichever unit is playing best, gets the most minutes. drive more internal competition. if all lines are going equally, minutes are evenly distributed. 

Edited by nuckfanfromafrica

1 hour ago, nuckfanfromafrica said:

Hughes - Myers

1) It's Horvat not Hovart. Unless you were thinking of Havarti. The cheese. Either way, you're confused.

3ckyzp.jpg

2) Brock on the third line and Goldobin on the first line?

giphy.gif

3) Did you test this on EA NHL 20?

• Upvote 2

this is the lineup i want to test : 

Baertschi - Horvat - Miller

Goldobin - Petterson - Boeser

Ferland - Gaudette - Roussel (when healthy, Leivo until then)
Pearson - Sutter - Virtanen  

Extra : Beagle Leivo, Motte. 
AHL : Eriksson, Schaller

PP1

Miller

Boeser   Horvat    Pettersson 

Hughes

PP2

Pearson

Baertschi  Gaudette  Goldobin
                  Myers     

Edited by deus.ex.makina

5 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

I think we may need an Armchair-Coaching thread in this forum. 

I agree. It would be great not to find Canucks Talk littered with all these brilliant suggestions. A separate thread or section (that I could stay out of) would be wonderful.

• Upvote 2

lol you lost me at at goldy being on the first line , from Utica to the first line   I don't think so  , do you realize that bringing up goldy and baer  2 players need to get sent down and then when motte and Roussel get healthy 2 more players need to be sent down  , you gonna send Eriksson and sutter to the ahl?   aquaman fires your ass    

ps oh right I see how it works you only use 4 dmen     hence the extra 2 forwards  :picard:

Edited by the grinder

10 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

1) It's Horvat not Hovart. Unless you were thinking of Havarti. The cheese. Either way, you're confused.

3ckyzp.jpg

2) Brock on the third line and Goldobin on the first line?

giphy.gif

3) Did you test this on EA NHL 20?

I think he meant hogwart  because he is in fantasy land 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, nuckfanfromafrica said:

New NHL involves rolling lines back to back that have speed and skill. Traditional roster make up of just one top or 2 lines with bottom 6 forward is no longer optimal. I believe in rolling a top 9 or 12 forward line, removing the label of 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th line. Forwards should complement each other and work well together on the ice. Each deficiency in a player complemented by a player(s) on the line

JT Miller – Pettersson – Goldobin

Skilled line with size and net presence in Miller. Pettersson and Goldobin have the best chemistry as the team is currently constructed. Adding 2 playmakers in Miller & Goldy, frees up Pettersson to find openings to use his shot more. Pettersson doesn’t have to hang onto the puck as long as he does now. He is no longer a secret as teams are keying in on him more. JT Miller is far more effective as a Left wing as equally as Goldy is a better player on the right wing. Pettersson brings out the best in Goldy when on the same line. The biggest deficiency in Goldy’s game (lack of hussle) is offset by plenty of hussle in Miller & Petey. Complement the line with a defensive pair of Edler – Myers. Miller as a right shot receiving dishes from 3 left shot forwards.

A straight forward line that crashes and bangs. Strong board play. Horvat at times is a one man show that tries to do it all on his own regardless of who is on his line. Ferland and Pearson add that body banging ability along the board and net presence that battle loose pucks from shots from the point. Pearson has an under rated shot that could be best served as a left shot playing right wing. Complement the line with a defensive pairing of Hughes & Tanev. Hughes adds the playmaking center like rover element to the line.

Baertschi – Gaudette – Boeser

A skilled winger in Baertshi complementing an up and coming center man in Gaudette and Boeser as the primary recipient of feeds in his wheel house to release his shots. Reminiscing of the Baertschi-horvat-boeser line.  Complement the line with a defensive pairing of either Edler – Myers OR Hughes-Tanev depending on opponents match up.

Virtanen – Beagle – Sutter

Virtanen needs to be used as a Left winger. He tends to use his speed more on that wing. Sutter as a placeholder for Antoine Roussel once off IR.

Leivo (Green’s love child): extra forward or traded. Definitely not on the power play

Motte: extra forward

Eriksson – traded or minors

Hughes - Myers

once in a while if momentum in a game is required followed by an energy line of:

Ferland - Miller - Virtanen

then back to the regular units

Power Play Personnel:

Pettersson Unit:

features a big right shot from the point in Myers,. Big cycle dot shots from the Left and right wall in Petey & Boeser.  A behind the net  playmaker & net presence in Miller. A rover puck carrier & QB in Hughes (less drop pass on breakouts).

Boeser – Miller – Pettersson

Hughes – Myers

Rational:

-          Left shoot D pass from the point (Hughes) to Petey for one timers

-          Aside from net presences, Miller serves as a behind the net set up for Boeser on the left wall

-          Right side setup from a left shot playmaker (Pettersson) to  right big shot from the point in Myers

-          A right shot D pass from Myers from the point to Boeser in Ovi’s office for one timers

Horvat Unit:

your basic crash and bang unit in Horvat & Ferland. Next best D shot in Edler. A skilled playmaker in Goldobin and a potentially lethal shot in Gaudette.

Gaudette –Ferland -  Horvat – Goldobin

Edler

Rational:

-          Your basic point shot from Edler with 2 net presence in Ferland & Horvat.

-          Gaudette as a Boeser option on the second unit. Goldobin as a skilled playmaker that can equally shot from Pettersson’s office.

rolling 4 lines is hardly "new" anything

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

@Duodenum posted this in another thread. Worth reposting here. 

Miller-Pettersson-Pearson

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussell-Beagle-Sutter

I'm all over this!!!!

not bad tho I would take sutter out and add motte for a lil more speed , I don't hate sutter but we need to get faster

• Upvote 1

I don’t think the Canucks have enough organizational depth to roll 4 lines.   What will end up happening is you’ll create 4 “watered down” lines with each line lacking a definitive role or purpose:

Here is what I think the Canucks need to do:

1) Make their top line more potent.   Can Ferland play with our big two?   Yes.   Would that line be among the top lines in hockey?  Not even close.   All elite teams have atleast one scoring line that has the ability to completely take over a game.   We’ve seen with both Edmonton and Calgary these past two games.    My vote goes for Miller here.  Put Miller with Pettersson and Boeser.  Miller is smart, physical, and passes extremely well. He also has a decent defensive game that could complement his linemates.

2) A 3rd line that has a realistic chance of producing on a consistent basis.    One thing that is annoying me about this management group, is their insistence that any combination of Gaudette, Sutter, Eriksson, Virtanen, Leivo, Baertschi, and Goldobin can consistently produce offense and goals for us.   They can’t!!!! And they probably never will!  

IF the Canucks are going to get offense from their 3rd line, they’ll need one of Ferland, Pearson, or Miller down there.......AND, you’ll need Gaudette to develop enough to the point where Sutter can be replaced.  

3) Pretty much anyone can play with Pearson and Horvat.   One thing I don’t understand about Management and fans, is why they made it such a big priority to “get a playmate for Horvat.”    Horvat already produces extremely well on the 2nd line, and already showed excellent chemistry with both Pearson and Baertschi.   2nd line scoring was never really an issue for us thanks to Horvat.  In my opinion, the combination of Horvat/Pearson or Horvat/Baertschi (If Pearson gets injured) will always be a good and steady 2nd line for us, regardless of who plays “shotgun” on that right side.  

Lines:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson/Baertschi-Horvat-[Anyone]

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

Schaller/Roussel-Beagle-Motte

If the team really wanted to compete they wouldn't have stupidly waived Baertschi. If he's not in good shape, send him on a conditioning stint. Our questionable GM has committed us to getting better now, so we should be focusing on that. That would mean keeping the BHB line in-tact. Those guys clearly had chemistry, and breaking them up was stupid. We need to trade for a legit top 6 left wing (??), and pray JT Miller is the real deal.

??-EP-Miller

Baer-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Ferland-Beagle-Motte

That lineup would actually have a slim chance if JT Miller can produce in a top 6 role, which is what we paid for when we traded for him. Loui Eriksson can be the 5th left wing, rotating as needed. But cannibalizing the BHB line to put Boeser with EP is silly. It was obvious that Baertschi's value was immense on that line, and not much without it.