The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Extinction Rebellion - More Traffic Disruption Planned For Vancouver Friday

DonLever

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Would these people not be more effective if they went to the offices of the oil companies instead of f'ing over the average person?

I guess the question is: "Would there be 15 pages of "discussion" on the subject had they done so?

It's all about drawing attention. We can agree or disagree about the methods, but I don't think anyone can claim they haven't garnered attention.....

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I guess the question is: "Would there be 15 pages of "discussion" on the subject had they done so?

It's all about drawing attention. We can agree or disagree about the methods, but I don't think anyone can claim they haven't garnered attention.....

The only attention they’ve gained is how stupid some people look. They essentially have become that crazy person screaming the sky is falling in the streets. We used to lock those people up in the looney bins.   

Now we just call them liberals.....I kid, I kid. 

• Upvote 4

Relentlessly clubbing people over the head with the climate issue may sound like a necessary and justifiable tactic from an activist perspective, but from a human nature/behavior standpoint, at some point people will say, "enough already!" 

The recent student protests were effective in garnering international attention. And I think most people can at least rationalize some positivity in the fact that the student generation actually cares about the future.

On the heels of that came the Extinction Rebellion, which was a disruptive force that left more of a bad taste with people. It was too soon after the student protest. If anything, it eroded the effectiveness of the student protest.

Now comes another, even more disorganized and disruptive Extinction Rebellion only a couple weeks later. This is on top of the non-stop barrage of divisive climate articles across social media AND the carbon tax coming out of people's pockets.

The problem is that people need time to digest these things on a human level. The general population is already overwhelmed by their own lives and an ongoing barrage of information on a daily basis.

The more relentless the climate advocates become, and the more overwhelmed people feel by the climate issue, the more people will look for a more "conservative" approach just to slow things down, have a moment to breathe, and digest change. It's human nature. 

I'm all for the right to protest. Have no problem with that. But on a human level, you can't have constant change and disruption on blast 24/7. The emotional intensity is not sustainable. 

5 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Does not make sense to protest at public transit place because it takes people off cars.   Less cars, less global warning.  So why do XR do it?   Are they a bunch of idiots?

I don't think global warming is a thing anymore because it was proved wrong so now its climate change. lol

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

23 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Does not make sense to protest at public transit place because it takes people off cars.   Less cars, less global warning.  So why do XR do it?   Are they a bunch of idiots?

Those two are most definitely as dumb as they come. Why would they choose to screw over commuters who made the choice to not have a car? Morons.

9 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I don't think global warming is a thing anymore because it was proved wrong so now its climate change. lol

'inadvertent climate modification'

That's the term they once used for the affects humans may have on the natural cycle of climate changes. From what I have read, they thought at one time that some human produced elements may cool the temp, some may warm. 

I really don't know my stuff on this, but I believe everybody's hero Al Gore made 'global warming' a term in reference to whats happening in the 'climate change'.

I should have asked this first, who proved global warming 'wrong'?

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Those two are most definitely as dumb as they come. Why would they choose to screw over commuters who made the choice to not have a car? Morons.

I know its mob mentality.

Sure, yank them off the train, but don't lay the beats. You then become way worse than them.

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I know its mob mentality.

Sure, yank them off the train, but don't lay the beats. You then become way worse than them.

I agree. Taking their stupid asses off of the train makes sense. Why anyone would attack them is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I agree. Taking their stupid asses off of the train makes sense. Why anyone would attack them is beyond me.

To be fair, there are a few people in there yanking of the pot shotters. Otherwise it could have been awful. 

I knew at the start of the vid what was going to happen. I'm from that scrappy country.