The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

Did you know that at one time Texas wanted to separate from the USA? But they would have had to take on their share in the 22 Trillion dollars in national debt plus added separation costs. 

Looking at the Wexit site, they don't want a "fair deal" but rather separate and align with the USA.

1 hour ago, inane said:

Defend Canadian values by leaving Canada. The mind boggles. 

Alberta in 2020 seems to share more with Quebec values actually..........  

Like a spoiled child.....   or the kid that threatened to take his hockey ball/puck  home on saturday morning if he wasn't allowed to make the rules / set the

teams......

I know it snows alot in Alberta... but there seems to more Snowflakes now in Alberta than anywhere else in Canada....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-losing-young-adults-census-data-analysis-1.5444969

Why Calgary is losing its young adults

In one of the fastest-growing cities in Canada, those aged 20-24 are the only shrinking age group

Nearly a quarter-million more people called the city home in 2019 than in 2009, with growth across every age range — except one: during that period, the number of 20- to 24-year-olds shrunk by 4,400, according to municipal census data, a decline of 5.5 per cent...

"They don't want to work in oil and gas — either because of the environmental implications of it or they just don't really see a future in that field — and feel like if they live in Calgary, that's kind of a written-in-stone future for them. So they felt the need to move away."

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-losing-young-adults-census-data-analysis-1.5444969

Why Calgary is losing its young adults

In one of the fastest-growing cities in Canada, those aged 20-24 are the only shrinking age group

Nearly a quarter-million more people called the city home in 2019 than in 2009, with growth across every age range — except one: during that period, the number of 20- to 24-year-olds shrunk by 4,400, according to municipal census data, a decline of 5.5 per cent...

"They don't want to work in oil and gas — either because of the environmental implications of it or they just don't really see a future in that field — and feel like if they live in Calgary, that's kind of a written-in-stone future for them. So they felt the need to move away."

that, and while being a pleasant city is quite dull. Its a city of 100,000 people X 13. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that, and while being a pleasant city is quite dull. Its a city of 100,000 people X 13. 

I was in Calgary a lot in the 90's, I found it fun but that was a while ago now.

This article makes sense to me . If I was a young person, I would be wary of going into the Oil industry with all it's challenges. Regardless of the allure of big bucks. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I was in Calgary a lot in the 90's, I found it fun but that was a while ago now.

This article makes sense to me . If I was a young person, I would be wary of going into the Oil industry with all it's challenges. Regardless of the allure of big bucks. 

sure if you like country music. Or if you want a really diverse evening, Country & Western. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Why Calgary is losing its young adults

So they talk to two students who provide them with anecdotal evidence and then make a claim. Hmm if that’s the case what about the 12% growth from 25-34 year olds? Why the 21% growth from 35-44 year olds. 

it also failed to mention that the for the past three years this age demographic has been growing which completely debunks these two anecdotal claims. 

All in all just poor research and poor reasoning in an attempt to sell anti oil rhetoric.  

When you happened to look at the growth in Vancouver for the same years. You see population grew by 10.5% but wait. Between 40-55 you see a 4% drop. Better go talk to a few random people to and use there anecdotal evidence to create a conclusion and write a report for CBC.  

Come on people we’re smarter than this.  This is junior high type news reporting.  

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Come on people we’re smarter than this.  This is junior high type news reporting

I'm trying.

Thanks for your break down, you make some good points.

I think what resonates with me is the attraction, or the lack there of, that the Oil industry might have for young people. 

Edited by bishopshodan

On 1/31/2020 at 6:57 PM, Ryan Strome said:

do you now see why people get frustrated with the uneducated?

We all do but we still will debate with you no matter how frustrated we get.   :ph34r:

Any other "deplorable" comments?   Once in a while , everyone is entitled to feeling morally superior but you abuse the privilege.    

34 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm trying.

I think what resonates with me is the attraction, or the lack there of, that the Oil industry might have for young people. 

I was talking with a few Engineering grads a few months ago....

They all told me that they did not want to work in the CDN Weapons industry or in CDN Oil in gas industry....... 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm trying.

Sure but how there could be a large number of factors that have zero to due with oil industry that are far more realistic. Such as considering a dip in the age gap for those years. 

and looking into Alberta’s birth rate, between 1994-2002 it experienced the lowest stretch over the last 25 years dipping below 40k annual births per year. No years outside of that range went below 40k. 1997 was the lowest year with only 37,037 births that year. Today it’s up to 55k.

image.jpeg.9ec4cdf7526c4c83404340273051a5bc.jpeg

So again between 1994-2002 were the lowest birth years. Guess which age range those kids would fit into on a 2019 chart......17-25. Seems pretty sound logic as to why we see a drop between the 20-24.... or we could just blame oil. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sure but how there could be a large number of factors that have zero to due with oil industry that are far more realistic. Such as considering a dip in the age gap for those years. 

and looking into Alberta’s birth rate, between 1994-2002 it experienced the lowest stretch over the last 25 years dipping below 40k annual births per year. No years outside of that range went below 40k. 1997 was the lowest year with only 37,037 births that year. Today it’s up to 55k.

So again between 1994-2002 were the lowest birth years. Guess which age range those kids would fit into on a 2019 chart......17-25. Seems pretty sound logic as to why we see a drop between the 20-24.... or we could just blame oil. 

Again,some good points.

The article jumped out to me because, again, due to the uncertainty of the industry... I can understand the feeling of some young adults. As the years go by, the 'sunset' of the oil industry must be getting closer. Why would young intelligent people chase those careers? The whole world seems to be turning away from it, with all this climate talk and regulations etc...

• Cheers 1