The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Devils @ Nucks Nov 10 2019 1pm Live on SNP ESPN+, MSG+ || Hughes vs Hughes Round 2 ||

Rate this topic

xereau

18 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Lines in warm-up:

Baertschi-Horvat(C)-Leivo
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser 
Pearson-Sutter(A)-Virtanen
Schaller-Beagle-Gaudette

Edler(A)-Myers
Hughes-Tanev(A)
Benn-Stecher

Markstrom

Poor Bo just can't have a partner to go steady with him on ice... Good thing at least he found one off ice. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

My dad flew 2 tours of duty in WWII in Lancaster Bombers on Pathfinder mission over Germany. He came home and went on to be a doctor.  My mom's brother (my uncle) went to the  war at age 21. He was just a kid from the prairies who went over to serve his country. He was killed in action in Europe and never came home.

That's why I wear a poppy. 

Respect... +1000

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Not sure if that Don is angry about immigrants or just the younger generation.  But I did not like him pointing out new immigrants.  That is inflammatory and ignorant.  But anyone who has seen his act over the decades should not be surprised at all.  Taking about poppies is a silly topic though. 

First, poppies were from WWI, which was a stupid war.  But honoring the vets is a right thing.  They fought when their country asked/drafted them, and should be honored and remembered even when the war was stupid. In the US, no one wears it but they care a lot about Veterans Day. 

Poppies that Don is talking about are just cheap plastics that are bad for environment.  I am not sure what wearing one does in proving you are a patriot.  We have Rememberance Day, we teach our kids about it at school, kids draw or make art about it.  We make visitors aware of what that day is for. In high school, I played Last Post as a solo trumpeter in Steveston High school gymnasium.  One of my proudest solo performances. 

You think more immigrants will start wearing that fake flower because of Don's rant?

Poppies also have stupid connection to Opium Wars in 19th century. Not exactly a great symbolism. 

Millions died in Europe and Asia, where those supposedly immigrants Cherry is calling out. More of them died and sacrificed than North Americans, and certainly more than Canada by the numbers.   Anyone with some history knowledge appreciate what the Allies did in liberating their homelands in Europe and Asia.   Yeah, they just care about the milk and honey, that's what Don is saying. Great. People move all over the world to Canada for that.   

Back to hockey. 

What does any of this even mean?  Cheap plastics - Opium Wars (sorry the two have nothing to do with each other - check your history) - stupid war ( you discard what is known as the Great War like swatting a fly, even though it’s big reason the second one happened - check your history Hitler fought in the first one and the world left them bankrupt and broken, mana for a guy like him )who cares what the US does this is Canada, immigrants from Asia and Europe dying - people move here from other places too, and they die their too... trumpets and proud moments.   Like that absolves you of whatever else the post says and guessing that wasn’t too long ago.  

Cherry is old enough to have a pretty good grasp on history, and yeah I bet he did this knowing there would be a back-lash, anyone that buys his “ignorance” doesn’t know much about the man which is kind of funny because you know that that means.  Back to hockey indeed.   Not sure I will submit this but what the heck - I’ve already asked the people I know that are recent immigrants if this offends them and they all said no, actually we’re glad he said something as they want to follow our customs.  

Symbols are powerful / Poppy’s are  NOT a waste of money or bad for the environment - what’s bad for the environment is world war 3, look at the bigger picture.  Want to save the environment grow your own food. I do. 

• Cheers 3