The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What band from the classic rock era do you hate

SixtyMinuteMan

16 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

They just seem to cater to people that are tone deaf, much like how rap does today(looking forward to the hate). 

More useless trivia....Paul Stanley was essentially born with only one fully healthy ear....he was pretty much deaf on the malformed ear.  I know he had reconstructed surgery later on but I don't when.  That had to have some kind of negative impact on his ability.

Kiss were essentially showmen/entertainers more than musicians in any event.  

51 minutes ago, Monty said:

Renegade and Come Sail Away (in particular) are so, so good.

What was the story behind their lead singer DeYoung leaving the band?  I seem to recall it was some sort of medical condition that prevented him from being able to perform live?  I know certain members of the band didn't like the direction the band was heading at the time 

On 11/16/2019 at 10:45 AM, DontFearTheReaper said:

You can't go wrong with classic old school rock and roll. But what bands from the classic era do you despise and why do you despise them? This thread excludes the 2000's as it is still fairly recent. 

The "Classic Era" to me is bands from the 60's and 70's.

I can't think of any that I despise.  

The 80's is just that - the 80's.

The 90's, to me is Alternative (as I don't give a rat's you know what about Rap)

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2019 at 8:54 PM, kingofsurrey said:

I hate Genesis ....  they are awful 

On 11/17/2019 at 9:54 PM, DontFearTheReaper said:

I hated peter gabriel's solo stuff.      

But Phil Collins gets a pass from me 

Cause his song in the air tonight is kind of growing on me.

I'm not a big Genesis fan, but "turn it in again" has been getting a lot of repeat in my playlist lately

On 11/19/2019 at 11:12 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

What was the story behind their lead singer DeYoung leaving the band?  I seem to recall it was some sort of medical condition that prevented him from being able to perform live?  I know certain members of the band didn't like the direction the band was heading at the time 

It's hearsay, so take it with a grain of salt, but as I heard it, DeYoung was excited about the success of the song "Babe" and wanted to move to a more ballad-centric focus, while the others (especially James Young) wanted to get back to their rock roots.

As it turned out, they don't really miss him, as Tommy Shaw can sing pretty much anything DeYoung did and Larry Gowan (The guy who did "Strange Animal" as a solo artist) is a terrific keyboard player. He also does a great job of "Rocking the Paradise" (the only song he sang lead on, in the concert I saw on AXS)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bill Sikes said:

Ozzy Osbourne, Duran Duran

I didn't mind ozzy's classic stuff from the eightees with Randy Rhoads and then Jake e Lee on guitar. But I didn't really care much for his stuff with zakk Wylde, It kind of pissed me off that he was on the cover of the guitar magazines almost every month in the second half of the 2000's, definitely the most over rated played of that decade.

Edited by DontFearTheReaper

On 11/19/2019 at 11:29 AM, Heretic said:

The "Classic Era" to me is bands from the 60's and 70's.

I can't think of any that I despise.  

The 80's is just that - the 80's.

The 90's, to me is Alternative (as I don't give a rat's you know what about Rap)

Best post in this thread....All of you folks that bash the bands or groups from the 60's and 70's, well guess what, they outsell anyone and anything current.

8 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Best post in this thread....All of you folks that bash the bands or groups from the 60's and 70's, well guess what, they outsell anyone and anything current.

Along with the bestsellers were horrible soft rock bands especially in the 70’s... every era has its good and bad.

• Cheers 1