The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Nov. 25, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol so far 3 of the 4 games on this road trip we were outplayed badly... if it werent for Rinne and markstrom we could easily be 0-4 on this trip lol

I see you are no longer even pretending to be a Canucks fan. Your glee over the loss is shining through.

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I see you are no longer even pretending to be a Canucks fan. Your glee over the loss is shining through.

So in order to be a Canucks fan I need to sugar coat the way the team plays and find excuse for every lost and keep telling myself this team is better than it really is? This teams record against team competing for the playoff is atrocious. Scoring against decent teams is non existent and yet we want to talk about how this team is actually good and better than their record indicate recently.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

This is a bubble team.

There will be stretches where they look like champs, there will be stretches where they look like a dogs breakfast.  Which way the pendulum swings depends on who they play and what the injuries du jour are.

In order to surpass being a bubble team they need two more legit top 6 wingers, and at least one more offensively gifted D man.

We are closer than we were last year.

I think they just need to learn that to be successful over the long term, you can’t take games off and coast like a bunch of sloths. How they come out against Pittsburgh will be indicative of who they really are as a team. 

Bo will need to demand that his team play better. 

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think they just need to learn that to be successful over the long term, you can’t take games off and coast like a bunch of sloths. How they come out against Pittsburgh will be indicative of who they really are as a team. 

Bo will need to demand that his team play better. 

I think effort certainly is an issue, but it is magnified by the (relatively thin) talent on the roster and in some ways how the coach deploys the systems.

To me it looks like Green wants big bodies that fore check and basically put a wet blanket on the opposing team on the walls.  Theres no room for guys like Baer or Goldobin in this sort of plan.  Just wear the other team down and hope that the PP and the core 4 can come up with some offence.

They dont have enough offensive talent on the blue line or sprinkled throughout the lineup to come out like sloths and expect to come out on the winning end.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Hold on...what?

THE shootout win over the caps proves where the team is? We’ve lost more then half our games but a shootout win which is an old tie and doesent count the same in the standings proves where we are? Hilarious.

sabrss are my other team and they routinely beat some of the best teams in the league, especially when they finished 31st (the first team to ever finish 31st) in The first year Vegas was in the league buffalo beat four of the best teams in the league in the same week and didnt need a shoot out.

Was that indicative of where that team was?

there goes your argument. I mean it would hold at least a bit more credibility if we had won more then half our games, or whooped the caps or even just beat them in regulation or overtime for crying out loud but we haven’t and didn’t so....

ps how do you think were even on track to do well, we barely have a defense.

Name our great dmen, I’ll wait. And I said great. Not good or average. Our best defensemen is 19 years old. 

tyler Myers is on the ice doing nothing half the time and the other half he’s giving the puck away, missing the net, did you seen him in phillys first goal? This isn’t the only time done this temember the 3 on 0 St. Louis had when they beat us, guess who’s fault that was. We’re 25 games in and the plus is on pace for zero goals and 15 assists at a whopping six million.

everyone rips Eriksson but slug Myers makes the same and plays even worse. And is less productive, Eriksson can actually kill penalties. People have selective bias in here. 

I rip everyone who plays bad, not just the favourite whipping boys.

That’s a lot bluster over a fan not being too worried because we matched the CAPs shot for shot, and chance for chance in one of if not the best game of the season so far (if you don’t think that then I don’t know what your watching).  I suppose maybe you weren’t happy because Myers hasn’t been playing completely to your narrative and had a good game against the CAPs too.  (Ha ha couldn’t help that and now that you’ve thrown down your guantlet and admitted Buffalo is your “other” favourite team it all makes sense - I suppose you hoped he’d be a Norris guy after his Calder winning season ... much like how Edler has being heavily criticized his entire career here).  It’s ok, could be worse - say Bogosian (who’s better debate - Doughty or Bogosian..remember those?). 

As far as the worst beating the best goes, Vancouver has done that too over the entire rebuild - but how many games are those against back-ups for both teams ( Buffalo too)?.   It happens.  LA will do it too. 

I believe it the point he was making, and other fans have too,  this team has proven their more then capable of playing well and beating anyone in the league when they are on.   That applies to most other teams too...but this year things are better then they have been in a while, the additions have made things a lot better.   It’s a long season and a lot of hockey left.    The effort wasn’t there at all against PHI (well Demko and Miller had some).   Our top line isn’t ready to play 5 x 5 against the leagues best defenders and players - that much has become abundantly clear - with no Miller on the line it has no teeth at all...that will come with more experience - but at least teams keep taking penalties on EP because they don’t have much choice or he will burn them.    So it evens still there is added value as a result.  

Win or lose - this is our transition year.   Don’t see much point in complaining that much - we are overachieving and underachieving- at some point it will click as the core gains experience - and Hughes comes as advertised - three years in a row with Calder finalists...wow.  Perspective is important.   The future looks bright. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The talent on the roster is the best it's been in years. I think that without Beagle and Sutter, the forward corps is floating a little, and Horvat needs to assert himself more in the room. Green has made some odd choices regarding the systems too, I agree.

It's hard to determine what type of team Green wants to see on the ice, as the consistency is lacking. I think that's an equally shared issue on all sides.

For sure. Nor should there be. Those players had their chance and failed to make the cut when the time came. Baertschi has proven in his most recent callup, to be a middling player at best. Goldobin hasn't grabbed the reins and is now a Comet. That's on him, not Green.

Green won't last beyond this season if he can't evolve his tactical side when faced with a more experienced coach.

They should never come out as flat and lifeless as they did yesterday. Maybe the team had a wild night in Philadelphia, but to play from behind and hope to catch up against any team in this league is stupid.  

Agree with most points.  Also agree that Baer and Goldy had their chance.  

EDIT: just as we are talking about this looks like Goldy gets another chance

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-nikolay-goldobin/c-311813884

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 2

Demko looks fantastic. 

Goaltenders are the only players holding this team from a total free fall

Same cant be said about the  D. 

LE should have woke up on waivers followed by a trip to the minors. Then loan him to another team to get him away from all things Canucks. could be the 2nd (fixed thx blunt.)worst  signing in franchise history. 

Edited by combover
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Darius said:

Agree with most points.  Also agree that Baer and Goldy had their chance.  

EDIT: just as we are talking about this looks like Goldy gets another chance

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-nikolay-goldobin/c-311813884

That is crazy timing, Darius. I hope Nikolai makes the most of this callup. I'm rooting for him.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

The game I saw yesterday is on the coach.  He let Philly have a lot of momentum by being defensive shellshock when he had a lead.  Get out and play the game and if we lose 3-1, so be it, at least we know that we had chances to pad the lead.   Even Philly had a better chance on the road from last month than Canucks on the road yesterday.  Players couldn't even hold a tape to tape passes for some pressure.   This is the worst game I have seen them play, even last week was that bad.  What's going on with the team and the coach that deployed the strategy?   I would expect a much better game tomorrow.