The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 27, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, theo5789 said:

And we have outcoached teams in some games as well. No one is saying Green is the best coach in the league right now. There may be games that he does get outcoached, but that doesn't mean he's doing a bad job overall and needing to be replaced. Perhaps he should've called a timeout earlier, who knows if that would've turned the tide or not. Malkin was on a mission and it's easy to coach a team that had a player with that drive wanting to win (just like a MacKinnon). Hopefully EP finds this level to his game, but I'm sure at that point it'll all be EP doing all the work and nothing to do with coaching.

In my opinion, pro sports is very structured: a somewhat talented team that is well prepared and executes the fundamentals will have a better chance at beating a talented team with an average coach.  Greens' record and how his players played to get to that record will be his legacy - will just have to wait a few months if they are competing in the playoffs.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Nobody talking about the cheap shot elbow on Horvat by #12 Simon.   I hope the Canucks remember when they play the Pigs on Dec 21.

Won't hold my breath...

Edited by spook007

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I've been saying since the day that Uncle Willie was jettisoned, that Green was simply "an Interim" coach.   He was and never will be capable of pushing these players over the hump - AND HE KNOWS IT !

His days are numbered - rest assured of that!

Everyones days are... eventually...

Edited by spook007
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure what the whole Makar versus Hughes thing it’s all about.  We drafted Pettersson one spot AFTER Makar.  So we got the better player in that draft while picking a spot behind Colorado.  Colorado also did well getting the second best player in the draft.  But Petey is the star of that draft.  He will be a 100+ point player and win the Hart and Art Ross trophies at least once in his career like Hank, or maybe several times.  Makar could win a Norris or two himself.  But in a redo of that draft I take Petey 10 times out of 10.  

As for Hughes, we got him a year later to be our Makar.  There was no franchise centre available in last year’s draft.  So we ended up with the best combination possible in Petey and Quinn.  

Ditto.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

In my opinion, pro sports is very structured: a somewhat talented team that is well prepared and executes the fundamentals will have a better chance of beating a talented team with an average coach.  Greens' record and how his players played to get to that record will be his legacy - will just have to wait a few months if they are competing in the playoffs.

Well that's usually the standard towards coaching for sure, but Green seems to be criticize every night we lose and gets no credit when we win (eg the players won the game in spite of the coaching, the other team played poorly, etc). If we are fighting for a wild card spot right to the last game of the year, then we are right we I believe we should be in terms of growth. If we make the playoffs, that's great too. If we get swept in the 1st round, that isn't necessarily on coaching, but possibly as he's inexperienced in the playoffs as an NHL coach so far, so even then he should still be given a longer leash for that. People that are trying to run him out of town right now need to be reminded that even though it has worked for some teams, it has also been horrible for others and setting teams back even. Right now we continue to rise with Green at the helm, so we have to look at the big picture rather than microscoping minor details and then creating tunnel vision with it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I've been saying since the day that Uncle Willie was jettisoned, that Green was simply "an Interim" coach.   He was and never will be capable of pushing these players over the hump - AND HE KNOWS IT !

What proof do you have that Green knows that he’s incapable of pushing this team over the hump?

His days are numbered - rest assured of that!

Again, what proof do you have?

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've had a few days to digest this game now.  

This is what happens when you have alot of vets out.  I think the game would have been totally different with Sutter and Beagle in the lineup. 

Demko has to make a few saves.  Allowing 8 goals is unacceptable.

The way this game was going, even if calling a timeout by Green on the 5th goal, I think the result would've been the same.  The Penguins just wanted the game more it seems. 

Turning point was definitely the goal post by Miller followed by the penalty.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Lines in practice:

Miller-Horvat-Eriksson/Goldobin
Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Gaudette-Leivo
Schaller-Graovac-MacEwen

Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Myers
Benn-Stecher
Fantenberg

please let left side Jake be a permanent thing

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Well that's usually the standard towards coaching for sure, but Green seems to be criticize every night we lose and gets no credit when we win (eg the players won the game in spite of the coaching, the other team played poorly, etc). If we are fighting for a wild card spot right to the last game of the year, then we are right we I believe we should be in terms of growth. If we make the playoffs, that's great too. If we get swept in the 1st round, that isn't necessarily on coaching, but possibly as he's inexperienced in the playoffs as an NHL coach so far, so even then he should still be given a longer leash for that. People that are trying to run him out of town right now need to be reminded that even though it has worked for some teams, it has also been horrible for others and setting teams back even. Right now we continue to rise with Green at the helm, so we have to look at the big picture rather than microscoping minor details and then creating tunnel vision with it.

We'll just have to wait and see as to what his legacy will be.    I hope he is learning from actually having a competitive team for the first time in his tenure as Coach.  Secondly, I hope he is extended and have a chance to win with group....

2 hours ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Disappointingly so eh...

That they don't stick up for one another or that I won't hold my breath :lol:

PS... seriously, yes I agree. Looking forward to Roussel and Ferland return. He should have been creamed, but as usual very light hearted response, when it's a Canuck...

200-8.gif

Edited by spook007

23 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Lines in practice:

Miller-Horvat-Eriksson/Goldobin
Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Gaudette-Leivo
Schaller-Graovac-MacEwen

Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Myers
Benn-Stecher
Fantenberg

What the (expletive deleted) has that floater Eriksson done to skate with Horvat and Miller? Has Green lost his mind?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

We'll just have to wait and see as to what his legacy will be.    I hope he is learning from actually having a competitive team for the first time in his tenure as Coach.  Secondly, I hope he is extended and have a chance to win with group....

Wait and see is really all I ask for, but we are hearing nightly all the reasons he should be fired which I find absurd at this point.

• Upvote 1