The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Ha but these men get paid millions to play a child's game......also being able to play in the NHL is enough to earn my respect cause I couldn't do it....

what about Pronger? You got no respect for him? Lol

no, no I don't. 

and it sounds like you need to raise your respect bar a little. if there was a dude who could juggle chainsaws but also sometimes had the bad habit of murdering kids, would you respect him too? you can't juggle chainsaws, after all ...

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

If you guys listen to the kes and juice podcast or any interview with him, it's obvious he regrets how he left and that he truly loved playing here and he reminisces about it a lot.

Kesler was a better player than most of the guys in our ring of honor lol. Definitely better than kurtenbach and marginally better than burrows. No disrespect to Burr though, he definitely deserves to be up there.

Kes should be up there, its not his fault this franchise has such a low bar for the ring of honour, but they so desperately wanted to celebrate their lack of history.

I love this team and I bleed it but we were nothing until bure arrived. And never really had any consecutive success until the 2000s.

Some of those players up there dont deserve to be up there but Kesler does imo.

it's not called the "ring of talented hockey players."

it's about honour.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Which includes work and persona in the community.   Absolutely it does.  

I actually agree with you; but to tell a person who only values on-ice performance (which I also think is fine - the main point of sport is to win) that it is a must in order to be considered for the ROH, I don't agree with.  

A lasting impact can be made in many ways. Nowhere in the Canucks ROH does it state that it needs to be a combination of on-ice performance/off-ice contributions. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   At home Kesler was always played against better competition - to give the Sedins a chance to score - and he played on all special teams - because he was special.   A top three second line center in the league for the duration for most of his time with us (league wide), and didn't have the pleasure of playing against the other teams 3-4th line at home, or start 70 plus percent of his face offs in the other zone. 

For two or three years he was arguably the best in the game - Bergeron at worst split time with Bostons best line or was part of it- while Kesler got to play with guys like Raymond ha ha.  

When he played the 2010 Olympics against possibly the best Canadain squad ever, he was beast mode for the US and almost spoiled it for us.   

As far as what he's like in person I don't have much to say - other then one personal experience where I bumped into him at Disney World.   Waiting in line like the rest of us to see the "princesses ".   It was obvious nobody knew who he was, just looked like an ordinary Dad with his family waiting in line while it was 105 degrees out.    Instead of barging in on his family moment I prentended to sit down and rest and just observed him happy as a you know what, to meet my idols - and he didn't disappoint one bit (he waited patiently and just like the rest of us dealt with the cruelty a father sometimes has to endure to make their kids happy...we are talking 30 minutes of lost time in sweltering conditions). 

Who the heck are we to judge with maybe 5 percent of the information... we didn't do what he did, and we aren't him.   He was a huge part of something special the entire franchise and fan base went through - if he was still a dick about it - well then hard no.   He isn't so why don't we just give him a break.  I've read enough about his hamstring only having one thread left - and still playing one more seven game series - just like Lindens bruised ribs became cracked and then broken ha ha.   He's a warrior and played like one - and I've got forgiveness in my heart for him - but respect those that don't (yet).   Hope he continues to try and mend fences.  We drafted him.  He played with the Moose.  He paid his dues and turned into an incredible player.   Only Peca comes close to him as far as a defensive forward goes - and he was gone way before he peaked. 

I wish I could give you more then one up vote!!!!

i only met kes at one moose game and I was a kid though but him and juice were great and kes even asked what type of player I wanted to be and I hold that moment close. 

I know some people just think his a dick but he is a decent guy and I would take him any day over the Sedins if I was building a team but that's my two cents. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

no, no I don't. 

and it sounds like you need to raise your respect bar a little. if there was a dude who could juggle chainsaws but also sometimes had the bad habit of murdering kids, would you respect him too? you can't juggle chainsaws, after all ...

Why raise my respect up? I respect warriors and guys that play the game within the game.....

i hated pronger when he played the Canucks but I enjoyed watching him all the rest of the time cause that guy would do anything to win....

your comparing my respect for kes  to someone that murder kids?.....:picard:

• Cheers 1

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

Why raise my respect up? I respect warriors and guys that play the game within the game.....

i hated pronger when he played the Canucks but I enjoyed watching him all the rest of the time cause that guy would do anything to win....

your comparing my respect for kes  to someone that murder kids?.....:picard:

it's an exaggeration in the name of making a point. the point is that you should be able to consistently apply the same logic in varying circumstances, and clearly you can't in this case. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

it's an exaggeration in the name of making a point. the point is that you should be able to consistently apply the same logic in varying circumstances, and clearly you can't in this case. 

How so? I looked up to kesler cause the way he played the game not because I wanted to sleep with a teammates wife lol

alot of legends have dirty lil secrets if you look hard enough , it's just kesler got attention cause he was a star. 

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Which includes work and persona in the community.   Absolutely it does.  

So you saying kesler never went to the children's hospital with the Canucks? He was a straight dick and spat on fans and just didn't care about us the whole time he was here?

dont let two things ruin a mans legacy that he built from the ground up as a Canuck 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, tas said:

So you don't know any that has step out on his wife or gf? 

Also kesler loved the game and you can tell by the way he plays but he loved winning more and I respect kes for asking out am I a fan of how he handcuffed the team ? No I'm not but what did the Canucks do for kesler other then pay him well.....he played with third line guys almost his whole career in Van....he played the hardest minutes and he was doing his job and was one of the best for a good stretch of his career...

.wasn't his fault the Sedins were easily shut down by bigger teams.....

2 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

I actually agree with you; but to tell a person who only values on-ice performance (which I also think is fine - the main point of sport is to win) that it is a must in order to be considered for the ROH, I don't agree with.  

A lasting impact can be made in many ways. Nowhere in the Canucks ROH does it state that it needs to be a combination of on-ice performance/off-ice contributions. 

True about what it says on their website but the inductees so far all seem to have been community first types and zero local douchery.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

So you saying kesler never went to the children's hospital with the Canucks? He was a straight dick and spat on fans and just didn't care about us the whole time he was here?

dont let two things ruin a mans legacy that he built from the ground up as a Canuck 

Don't remember saying anything about a children hospital or that he spat on anyone.   Simply saying he had a strong douche reputation around the league and was seen as a "me first" player that was shown in spades how he not only demanded a trade but made it public it was only to "California based" teams basically stripping the Canucks of any trade leverage.   For a guy to be a legacy to the Canucks, screwing them over as your last move with the club isn't good on the resume.

3 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Agreed.  It's just that there could be that kind of conversation if he keeps it up a while longer, especially if we win a cup or two with him as the elder statesman who represents a link to one of our earlier near misses.  The feel-good factor might get pretty high.  Personally, I don't think he should have his number retired, but there's no doubt that he's ROH material. 

If he takes his current accolades, and also gets to 1200 games in a Canucks uniform and wins a Cup, I'll approve the number retirement.

• Cheers 2

I know the ROH is an individual honor of impact, but ...

If the ROH included all three Stanley Cup appearing teams, with displays of 1982 team photo, 94 team photo, and 2011, at least you could honor guys like Kesler without putting them in individually.

So, when the debate comes up each time, you could say ... well, Kes is already in the ROH in the 2011 team. That honors his time here.

Just a thought ...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tas said:

it sets a really bad precedent. 

Play hard enough, with a ton of passion, and contribute significantly to the team's success (particularly in key situations), be a decent teammate = you get your name up there, despite some off-ice issues? 

Yeah what an awful precedent.... :mellow:

Edited by 'NucK™