The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

He gets a pass from me. He left everything he had out on the ice for this team. That game 7 took so much out of him. I don't want to be a fan who holds grudges like that to our ex players. Im sure he has regrets with how things ended. Vancouver can be his second home if he still wants it. Lets show him some love even if you don't think he deserves it. Its time this market was the bigger person. Also respect to the OP for starting this discussion. 

Ditto...

Good topic @iBlueGreen

• Upvote 2

Big no from me. Kesler was never loyal to Vancouver or showed any real desire to be here. When he was an RFA, he accepted an offer sheet from Philadelphia and would have been happy to leave. Then he left for Anaheim as soon as he could and took a big fat pay cheque. I don't blame him ONE BIT for that. I probably would have done the same. But the "ring of honour" is for people with honour and if you choose money over honour then that's that.

Edited by DonaldBrashear
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah compare Kess to OJ, good one.

the point is, I don't know how someone can be a fan of a player they can't respect, and I don't know how people can respect a player who's a piece of trash in "real life."

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Agree that his ability, and his importance in the 2011 can not be over stated... 

Yet, I think, if he get inducted in to the ROH, it will not happen in the near future... the wounds are still too deep for a lot of fans...

Reading this forum I can see and appreciate that.  One things for sure though no way the Sedins have their best seasons without him in the lineup - or the team for that matter etc.   I didn't like the contract dispute with Bure either and held a grudge for a while over it and get that these things take some time  - maybe this one should be left for awhile too just to let some fences mend - and maybe he should be left out given how he left too (I'm not 100% sure how this ROH thing is supposed to work, is Bertuzzi out because of the Moore incident for example or was he just not good enough for a long enough period?).    Personally I'm ok with it either way, but based on play alone think he's done enough to get there given how else is already in. 

• Cheers 1

Hard no for me.

The RoH is for players who reached franchise milestones and/or signify the heart and soul of the organization during their time and/or made a huge impact in our community. 

Kesler was a good player for us, no doubt, and a beast in the Nashville series, but he did not achieve or display much of the things mentioned above. Burrows' incredible hard work and determination mixed with his forever memorable dragon slaying during that era is why he's up there instead of Kesler and beloved by everyone, also instead of Kesler. Burrows even left the team in a trade to try and help our rebuild whereas we all know Kesler handcuffed us. 

Thinking Kesler should be up there is a good example if recency bias. Future inductees will almost assuredly be Edler and possibly Roberto. I would induct Bert, Ronning, and Gino before Kesler, even.

The problem I've always had with the RoH is where do you draw the line?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Yes absolutely the guy literally destroyed his own body for the organization and cut his nhl career short because of it. I really dont blame him for wanting another chance to win a cup. He could have handled the situation better but f**k whatever it is what it is.

So did Ryan Johnson and many others.

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Hard no for me.

The RoH is for players who reached franchise milestones and/or signify the heart and soul of the organization during their time and/or made a huge impact in our community. 

Kesler was a good player for us, no doubt, and a beast in the Nashville series, but he did not achieve or display much of the things mentioned above. Burrows' incredible hard work and determination mixed with his forever memorable dragon slaying during that era is why he's up there instead of Kesler and beloved by everyone, also instead of Kesler. Burrows even left the team in a trade to try and help our rebuild whereas we all know Kesler handcuffed us. 

Thinking Kesler should be up there is a good example if recency bias. Future inductees will almost assuredly be Edler and possibly Roberto. I would induct Bert, Ronning, and Gino before Kesler, even.

Drawing the line and perhaps a better explanation of what it is.  "lasting impact on the organization?"  Kesler and Bertuzzi both did that in positive and negative ways.   Luongo should definitely be in, he's the best we've ever had by a long shot,  that Dallas series was unreal.   Kesler was to Bergeron what Park was to Orr.   With the exception that he won a Selke and Park never won a Norris.  Second best defensive forward of his generation.  Also the way he played while here took a heavy toll on his body - and if you believe him even his mind (still not over the game seven loss).   Had absolutely no problem with him wanting out - of course his commentary at the time wasn't considerate neither was JB options for a trade.   Turns out it wasn't a bad one - Bonino and Sutter are both playing well he is not - plus the cap hit plus the picks etc.   ANA actually lost that deal.   

THN ranked each franchises 50th best all-time players and he came in as number 10.  They made the lists solely on players performances for each franchise, the longer they played the bigger impact too.    He also made ANA list at 19, and they take length of time into consideration - which is why Bure was 3 and not 1.   Everyone infront of him is in the ROH or their number retired - except Bertuzzi who's ranked 9 and Luongo who's ranked 7.    Burrows is ranked 24...

So this ROH is a lot more then how good a player was and for how long they were good for us. 

Salo was 27, Bieksa 23, Edler 20, Tanti 19, Broduer 18, Gradin 19, Jovo 16, Boudrias 15, McLean 14, Lumme 13, Lidster 12, Snepts 11 etc etc...

Since ive seen others mentioned - Adams 29, Mogilny 30, Ronning 34, Gino 48.    Willie Mitchell rounds out the top 50.  The rankings are a few years old otherwise I bet we'd see both EP and BB and QH in the top 50 by next year....and Edler moves up at the time he'd only played 688 games and had 300 points..

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

On 1/21/2020 at 8:25 PM, 10pavelbure96 said:

I have no bad feelings towards Kesler. It's his career to do what he wants with. And Bure did the same thing and he is revered by all, including myself.

Kes deserves to be up there, he was a warrior and the only selke winner in franchise history.

Bure was screwed over by The Canucks ownership/management, Kesler was not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tas said:

the point is, I don't know how someone can be a fan of a player they can't respect, and I don't know how people can respect a player who's a piece of trash in "real life."

You a fan of Evander Kane or the Patty Kane?

people respect different things in a player just like every  person has different values...... 

I loved kes and could care less about the off ice stuff but how kes a piece of trash? Cause he showed his human. 

News flashes! don't meet your heros you'll be disappointed lol 

im a hockey fan and have no business judging his personal life cause it's none of my business. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Absolutely. Agree on every point.

I don't think Sedins would be as easy to off load as Kesler, as they would come as a pair... $14 for two players is harder to move than Keslers contract. But yes the rebuild would have been speeded up had JB been able to off load Sedins.

I also believe Kes would have thrived under Torts... I think, he would be the centre of Torts hockey philosophy.

However, it was the manner, in which it was all done, that has me a little uneasy about it... Kesler doing, what was best for Kesler...Ring of Honour... Guess it depends on what ROH means, to the person who views it.... 

To me the ROR is about giving credit where credit is do......like some people say kes may not get into the hockey hall of fame but he was a lynch pin to the Canucks and their success and I'm going to be that guy.....kesler's prime lasted longer then the Sedins peak and kesler was never the problem in my opinion.....

Edit* i agree kesler and torts would have worked pretty good but having two star players that are only really offensive kinda hurt. 

Kesler and Bo down the middle I could live with that ha and we wouldn't have the Sedin turn the cheek culture in Van lol that would have been stomped out. 

People have seen what miller has done for the Canucks picture a guy like him from day one being in Van lol

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Hard no for me.

So what would kesler have to do to get in? Be a selke finalist from the first day he step into the NHL?

kesler and Bert are kinda similar that way both impacted the game in Van. Both best of all time in their respective rights with the Canucks. 

Name another Canuck that was a selke finalist for half a  decade......

let me put it this way Sedins over rated they put up three amazing years and owned the league but guess what they were drafted in 99 and took their sweet time to where kesler was a top five shut down centre how long?

difference is the Sedins were great people off the ice and kesler was kes.

Both were huge parts of Canucks teams

sedins overrated now and kesler is underrated. Plain and simple but just my honest opinion lol

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tas said:

Well, plenty of people are fans of players purely because those players help bring championships to their city. Some folks don't really care what the person is like outside of the game. I'm not sure why there's this need to.

This idea that someone in the public eye has to have some squeaky-clean persona or else, is silly. People have flaws, and some have flaws that are amplified when they're put on a pedestal. It happens.

It's great to have character people on a team, but it's just not realistic to think that every single player on the roster will be.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

To me the ROR is about giving credit where credit is do......like some people say kes may not get into the hockey hall of fame but he was a lynch pin to the Canucks and their success and I'm going to be that guy.....kesler's prime lasted longer then the Sedins peak and kesler was never the problem in my opinion.....

Edit* i agree kesler and torts would have worked pretty good but having two star players that are only really offensive kinda hurt. 

Kesler and Bo down the middle I could live with that ha and we wouldn't have the Sedin turn the cheek culture in Van lol that would have been stomped out. 

People have seen what miller has done for the Canucks picture a guy like him from day one being in Van lol

What are you talking about?  Kesler's prime was the year after Sundin was here where he "matured" had an outlier season and then wasn't given the C and went back to being douche and a decent 2nd line centre. The Sedins were in their prime for years.

Edited by peaches5

14 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Nope.
I’m willing to let the past go and forgive Kesler 

But the people in the ROH are guys like Pat Quinn, Alex Burrows, Kirk McLean, Thomas Gradin etc. Guys that bled Canucks colours and stuck with us and didn’t turn their backs on the team. He deserves no such honour to be up there with those legends. 

I share the same opinion regarding ROH as you do

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Bure was screwed over by The Canucks ownership/management, Kesler was not.

It takes two to tango, and Bure sat out - which at the time anyways seemed like a betrayal. Didn't like the Bure trade at all, we had Mogilny, Linden and Messier - if Messier excepted the A and played the second line center role and Bure stayed that team could have been something else.  I blame Messier more then anything - but it worked out well for us in the end.  We got quite the haul from the Linden team...too bad we didn't get the same from the Sedin team and Kesler was part of that mess too.   

Then again we wouldn't have the players  we do now if things worked out differently - Keslers selfishness worked out in a way. It's a testament to what JBs been able to do in a short amount of time with little to work with compared to eras past.   

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It takes two to tango, and Bure sat out - which at the time anyways seemed like a betrayal. Didn't like the Bure trade at all, we had Mogilny, Linden and Messier - if Messier excepted the A and played the second line center role and Bure stayed that team could have been something else.  I blame Messier more then anything - but it worked out well for us in the end.  We got quite the haul from the Linden team...too bad we didn't get the same from the Sedin team and Kesler was part of that mess too.   

Then again we wouldn't have the players  we do now if things worked out differently - Keslers selfishness worked out in a way. It's a testament to what JBs been able to do in a short amount of time with little to work with compared to eras past.   

Your employer decides to not pay you what you're owned and you are going to keep working for them? Ownership and Management treated Bure like complete garbage while he was here. Kesler was never treated that way. 

37 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

What are you talking about?  Kesler's prime was the year after Sundin was here where he "matured" had an outlier season and then wasn't given the C and went back to being douche and a decent 2nd line centre. The Sedins were in their prime for years.

Lol when your a selke finalist for half a decade then yea I say his prime lasted longer but your right his peak came later.....

sedin's in their prime for years? I guess I was drunk during the early 2000's and mid lol 

for star players they  sure didn't preform like other star players....

it took the game changing to give the Sedins even a taste of stardom....

good offensive players sure but that's about it lol just like Phil Kessel lol I'll give the Sedins a better two way game but offence is all they really brought on the ice. 

Lol Sedins prime laster longer keslers , that's cute lol

also Sedins once they couldn't play top line or shelter minutes their careers were over......I wouldn't want them as my second line or third line if I'm coaching a 200ft game lol 

the Sedins should have gotten traded to east cause that's where they would have thrived even more and might have made it to more then one final.....

8 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Lol when your a selke finalist for half a decade then yea I say his prime lasted longer but your right his peak came later.....

sedin's in their prime for years? I guess I was drunk during the early 2000's and mid lol 

for star players they  sure didn't preform like other star players....

it took the game changing to give the Sedins even a taste of stardom....

good offensive players sure but that's about it lol just like Phil Kessel lol I'll give the Sedins a better two way game but offence is all they really brought on the ice. 

Lol Sedins prime laster longer keslers , that's cute lol

also Sedins once they couldn't play top line or shelter minutes their careers were over......I wouldn't want them as my second line or third line if I'm coaching a 200ft game lol 

the Sedins should have gotten traded to east cause that's where they would have thrived even more and might have made it to more then one final.....

Total nonsense.