The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Total nonsense. 

Did you watch them? Lol they never had the speed to play a 200ft game and it took them years to break out ha that's fact look at their career lol

total nonsense cause I'm a Canuck fan ripping the Sedins the same way people are ripping kesler?

also the style the Sedins played a skill game and during that time , it was more common for east teams to build their teams around players like that not the west.......

3 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

You a fan of Evander Kane or the Patty Kane?

people respect different things in a player just like every  person has different values...... 

I loved kes and could care less about the off ice stuff but how kes a piece of trash? Cause he showed his human. 

News flashes! don't meet your heros you'll be disappointed lol 

im a hockey fan and have no business judging his personal life cause it's none of my business. 

not even in the slightest. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

not even in the slightest. 

To each there own I guess. 

I love watching Evander Kane play cause that's the hockey I enjoy and well Patty Kane  I respect what he can do with the puck.....both guys are what you would call a D bags off the ice though but they still deserve our respect cause we are suppose to judge players on what they do on the ice not off.......

but a lot fans were spoiled with the Sedins cause look at what they did on the ice...... a lot people respect them cause of what they did off the ice and one of the reasons they are such big legends cause if we only look at on ice.....but donating helps fans forget about  what they did on the ice before 2008 lol

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

To each there own I guess. 

I love watching Evander Kane play cause that's the hockey I enjoy and well Patty Kane  I respect what he can do with the puck.....both guys are what you would call a D bags off the ice though but they still deserve our respect cause we are suppose to judge players on what they do on the ice not off.......

but a lot fans were spoiled with the Sedins cause look at what they did on the ice...... a lot people respect them cause of what they did off the ice and one of the reasons they are such big legends cause if we only look at on ice.....but donating helps fans forget about  what they did on the ice before 2008 lol

being good at a game for children is not enough to earn my respect, at least not if you've proven to be an ass in other areas. 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

being good at a game for children is not enough to earn my respect, at least not if you've proven to be an ass in other areas. 

Ha but these men get paid millions to play a child's game......also being able to play in the NHL is enough to earn my respect cause I couldn't do it....

what about Pronger? You got no respect for him? Lol

If you guys listen to the kes and juice podcast or any interview with him, it's obvious he regrets how he left and that he truly loved playing here and he reminisces about it a lot.

Kesler was a better player than most of the guys in our ring of honor lol. Definitely better than kurtenbach and marginally better than burrows. No disrespect to Burr though, he definitely deserves to be up there.

Kes should be up there, its not his fault this franchise has such a low bar for the ring of honour, but they so desperately wanted to celebrate their lack of history.

I love this team and I bleed it but we were nothing until bure arrived. And never really had any consecutive success until the 2000s.

Some of those players up there dont deserve to be up there but Kesler does imo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

So what would kesler have to do to get in? Be a selke finalist from the first day he step into the NHL?

kesler and Bert are kinda similar that way both impacted the game in Van. Both best of all time in their respective rights with the Canucks. 

Name another Canuck that was a selke finalist for half a  decade......

let me put it this way Sedins over rated they put up three amazing years and owned the league but guess what they were drafted in 99 and took their sweet time to where kesler was a top five shut down centre how long?

difference is the Sedins were great people off the ice and kesler was kes.

Both were huge parts of Canucks teams

sedins overrated now and kesler is underrated. Plain and simple but just my honest opinion lol

Yep.   At home Kesler was always played against better competition - to give the Sedins a chance to score - and he played on all special teams - because he was special.   A top three second line center in the league for the duration for most of his time with us (league wide), and didn't have the pleasure of playing against the other teams 3-4th line at home, or start 70 plus percent of his face offs in the other zone. 

For two or three years he was arguably the best in the game - Bergeron at worst split time with Bostons best line or was part of it- while Kesler got to play with guys like Raymond ha ha.  

When he played the 2010 Olympics against possibly the best Canadain squad ever, he was beast mode for the US and almost spoiled it for us.   

As far as what he's like in person I don't have much to say - other then one personal experience where I bumped into him at Disney World.   Waiting in line like the rest of us to see the "princesses ".   It was obvious nobody knew who he was, just looked like an ordinary Dad with his family waiting in line while it was 105 degrees out.    Instead of barging in on his family moment I prentended to sit down and rest and just observed him happy as a you know what, to meet my idols - and he didn't disappoint one bit (he waited patiently and just like the rest of us dealt with the cruelty a father sometimes has to endure to make their kids happy...we are talking 30 minutes of lost time in sweltering conditions). 

Who the heck are we to judge with maybe 5 percent of the information... we didn't do what he did, and we aren't him.   He was a huge part of something special the entire franchise and fan base went through - if he was still a dick about it - well then hard no.   He isn't so why don't we just give him a break.  I've read enough about his hamstring only having one thread left - and still playing one more seven game series - just like Lindens bruised ribs became cracked and then broken ha ha.   He's a warrior and played like one - and I've got forgiveness in my heart for him - but respect those that don't (yet).   Hope he continues to try and mend fences.  We drafted him.  He played with the Moose.  He paid his dues and turned into an incredible player.   Only Peca comes close to him as far as a defensive forward goes - and he was gone way before he peaked. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

Except that's not what the Canucks ROH is.. as defined in 2010 when it was launched, it's for "players who made a lasting impact on the franchise". 

Which includes work and persona in the community.   Absolutely it does.  

25 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

If you guys listen to the kes and juice podcast or any interview with him, it's obvious he regrets how he left and that he truly loved playing here and he reminisces about it a lot.

Kesler was a better player than most of the guys in our ring of honor lol. Definitely better than kurtenbach and marginally better than burrows. No disrespect to Burr though, he definitely deserves to be up there.

Kes should be up there, its not his fault this franchise has such a low bar for the ring of honour, but they so desperately wanted to celebrate their lack of history.

I love this team and I bleed it but we were nothing until bure arrived. And never really had any consecutive success until the 2000s.

Some of those players up there dont deserve to be up there but Kesler does imo.

Nothing until Bure got here?   That's a bit silly unless you just by stats and skill alone.   We did have a magical run before he came - a true underdog and had to fight (literally and figuratively) every moment to get to the final (albeit to be dismantled by a top three all-time team in the peak of their powers - still it took OT one game to broom us)...  

We had Smyl, Boudrais, Gradin, Tanti (one of the best goal scorers we've ever had), and great role players too like Williams, Delmore, One Punch,  Kurtenbauch, Butcher (who gave us a plethora of good players for the Linden team), Snepts, Lidster etc etc...Bure was the best to ever lace them up and arguably a top 20 all-time talent, why do we need him to legitimize our team when we still had a rich history before him?  - Broduer and of course Linden too....

And what does consecutive successes mean?  Lindens team won more series then any of the others before or after.   Does it mean consecutive teams that make it?  Well Broduer and Linden finals aren't much different then the Linden Sedin ones time wise...

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think he's locked in at ROH no matter what.  I think he will squeak his way to 1000 games as a Canuck.  And the thing is, that would quite possibly have gotten his number retired if we hadn't done so with Naslund and Bure, etc.  But the rafters are pretty full and he's not really going to separate himself that much from Snepsts and Ohlund no matter what he does.  I guess maybe if he gets to 1200 games or something he might get a Ken Daneyko style number retirement, but those Devils won some Cups.

He is the Canucks career record holder for defenseman in every category, but Quinn Hughes is going to absolutely annihilate assists and points.

Agreed.  It's just that there could be that kind of conversation if he keeps it up a while longer, especially if we win a cup or two with him as the elder statesman who represents a link to one of our earlier near misses.  The feel-good factor might get pretty high.  Personally, I don't think he should have his number retired, but there's no doubt that he's ROH material. 

• Upvote 1