The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am a NO on Kesler but I think he is just s razor cut below ring of honour worthy. 

Sami Salo is most definately ring of honour worthy while not jersey retirement worthy. I think that a 2nd line center who left like he did and didnt win a cup is third tier,  loved him as a canuck dont want to see him beside Orland, Ohlund or the rest. 

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well certainly not a number retirement for Kesler.  I'm not that opposed to ROH, I would just lean away from it.  If he wants to go around and do some penance and grovel and whatnot, I can possibly get on board.  He was a very good player, I just don't see why we have to ask "what about Kesler" when nobody ever asks "what about" the other players I've listed, e.g. Brodeur, Lidster, Tanti, Boudrias, etc.

I guess we have to agree to disagree cause I feel his done enough to be honoured some way by the Canucks cause that's what teams do for great players....

say what you want but kesler was great and great for awhile...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Play properly with wingers? 

Wasnt david booth and Higgins the best wingers he played with? 

So I would say he never got to play with high end talent like Hossa or even a sharpe like the Hawks had on their second line. 

He got one selke but was a finalist for half a decade and during that time we saw some of the greatest two players I've ever  seen in the game......

the Sedins only won one thing each.....

I agree about the trade b.s but his resume should stand on its own.....

those other guys sorry I would take kesler over them cause kesler dominated at times and his playoff performances make him a legend already in my books and I haven't seen a Canuck player do the things kes did yet  and I love the west coast express but Bert and Nazzy made that line great and they made Brendan into a great centre......

the other three might have been before my time lol sorry

I think we saw very different players... I remember him playing one super strong playoff series again Nashville and then being mehh. Booth was a solid NHL player on Florida untill he got put on keslers wing. Higgins had potential but never got the puck while playing alongside..

Tell me these things he did that no other Canuck has done, Horvats game is nearly identical to kesler in every way except the bad attitude and the a average skill... Why bring the Sedins into this in defense of kesler, they where never a part of this, but if you want... The Sedins where and are the best players the Canucks ever had (except bure) they both won scoring titles, donated like mad, stayed in the city after full careers with the Canucks... But yes good example for kesler...

Yes those players are before your time, they are before my time too, but you said to Google kesler, so I googled a couple other players and found that we have had lots of candidates to be possibly honoured. The problem is if people.like.you have their way, where does the ring of honour end??? Should we fill up our rafters and the ring now so there's no room left in the future?? Where will Horvats, boesers, Hughes, Pettersons, edlers, salo, jovanovski, ohlund, luongo, McKlean... 

Keslers departure here erased his past good doings

Never ever say kesler was better or more important then burrows

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Let's trade Loui for kes and maybe Kesler will get a ring as not getting in the ring of  honour lol

How many players up there were as great as kesler though? 

Like google him lol his done a lot on ice that deserves to be up there.....honestly I think he should be up there before burrows. 

I love burr but kesler was the better player.......

Kesler as a two way forward reached every goal he should have.....like what more did kesler have to do to please you? Lol

What goal did he achieve other then the selke? 

4 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

What goal did he achieve other then the selke? 

That's the hart to two way players... I would argue it was harder for kesler to win that then the Sedins winning what they did.....

look at just the west during that time Toews and kopitar 

That's not even mentioning the east. 

Those are just the two of best two way players I could think of from the west......

also like I mentioned his part of a select few Canucks to reach 40 goals in a season....only 9 iirc. 

During kesler time we saw some of the best two way centres I've ever seen at one time in the league and he showed he can hang with the best and not just for three seasons either......

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

That's the hart to two way players... I would argue it was harder for kesler to win that then the Sedins winning what they did.....

look at just the west during that time Toews and kopitar 

That's not even mentioning the east. 

Those are just the two of best two way players I could think of from the west......

also like I mentioned his part of a select few Canucks to reach 40 goals in a season....only 9 iirc. 

During kesler time we saw some of the best two way centres I've ever seen at one time in the league and he showed he can hang with the best and not just for three seasons either......

Actually it was for just three seasons 08/09, 09/10, 10/11... I will give you that his 40 goals single season was very impressive but are we giving away awards for one 40 goal season, maybe for two 70 point seasons, and being good defensive. 

For a NHL player no one would call him skilled, he was all hard work and motor, which was why he never played good with his wingers... You can put him in the same breath as kopitar and sharp and toews even if you want, but you could also mention Boeser and Laine together but it doesn't mean anything.

There's a reason why most Canuck fans don't like him, and the fact that so many don't like him should be evidence enough to not honour the guy. 

11 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

I think we saw very different players... I remember him playing one super strong playoff series again Nashville and then being mehh. Booth was a solid NHL player on Florida untill he got put on keslers wing. Higgins had potential but never got the puck while playing alongside..

Tell me these things he did that no other Canuck has done, Horvats game is nearly identical to kesler in every way except the bad attitude and the a average skill... Why bring the Sedins into this in defense of kesler, they where never a part of this, but if you want... The Sedins where and are the best players the Canucks ever had (except bure) they both won scoring titles, donated like mad, stayed in the city after full careers with the Canucks... But yes good example for kesler...

Yes those players are before your time, they are before my time too, but you said to Google kesler, so I googled a couple other players and found that we have had lots of candidates to be possibly honoured. The problem is if people.like.you have their way, where does the ring of honour end??? Should we fill up our rafters and the ring now so there's no room left in the future?? Where will Horvats, boesers, Hughes, Pettersons, edlers, salo, jovanovski, ohlund, luongo, McKlean... 

Keslers departure here erased his past good doings

Never ever say kesler was better or more important then burrows

I said where it ends for the 2011 team Sedins kesler and Lou. 

I will say kesler was more important then burrows cause it's true cause guess what while the Sedins and burr got the ozone starts what was kesler's job again? Oh that's right shut down the other teams top line and he did that more times then I saw the sedins take over a full game.....

why bring the sedins into it cause a big part of the Sedin legacy was built off the hard work kesler did.....you think guys that will do anything to win want to play with gentlemen? Lol

like I said the Sedins had three great years and kesler had what six lol 

What happens if the Canucks lost to the preds? The team was going to get blown up lol 

you think if we didn't make it to the final the Sedins retire as Canucks?

the three of them are tied together the Sedins made up for kesler's atittude and kesler did the dirty work they wouldn't or couldn't do.....

people talk about how great the Sedins are but crap on kes......give me a break.....

only thing that made the Sedins special is that they were twins...the twin sick sense..it's not like they light it up playing on different lines lol 

they were also drafted in 1999 took them almost a decade to reach their peak and while that was happening kesler was a selke finalist. 

kesler on the other hand was a one man show or wrecking ball.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Actually it was for just three seasons 08/09, 09/10, 10/11... I will give you that his 40 goals single season was very impressive but are we giving away awards for one 40 goal season, maybe for two 70 point seasons, and being good defensive. 

For a NHL player no one would call him skilled, he was all hard work and motor, which was why he never played good with his wingers... You can put him in the same breath as kopitar and sharp and toews even if you want, but you could also mention Boeser and Laine together but it doesn't mean anything.

There's a reason why most Canuck fans don't like him, and the fact that so many don't like him should be evidence enough to not honour the guy. 

Agree to disagree. 

Kesler was on par with the best shut down centres in the league for awhile and the fact you can't even say he belongs in the same conversation as Toews and kopitar is laughable cause he proved it year in and year out. 

We will never know what kesler could do with some actual top six talent cause we never saw him play with anyone I would put in the same breathe as Hossa or sharpe or carter and 70 line and the list goes on. 

But cheers I get your point your still sour like a lot of fans but don't let one thing ruin kesler's legacy as a Canuck 

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

Agree to disagree. 

Kesler was on par with the best shut down centres in the league for awhile and the fact you can't even say he belongs in the same conversation as Toews and kopitar is laughable cause he proved it year in and year out. 

We will never know what kesler could do with some actual top six talent cause we never saw him play with anyone I would put in the same breathe as Hossa or sharpe or carter and 70 line and the list goes on. 

But cheers I get your point your still sour like a lot of fans but don't let one thing ruin kesler's legacy as a Canuck 

You're a damn fool if you put kesler and toews together at all, you're comparing captain Canada, first line center with multiple cups toews to kesler... The second line center, just like most playoff teams had that shut down top lines... selke is a great trophy, and if he had won multiple I could see your point in continuing to bring it up, but he didn't..You make him out to be this near God on ice, he was just above average in everything, and excellent defensive..

he has no legacy, he has one playoff series and three good, not great seasons. Could we have done as good as we did without him, of course not. You put him on the top line, make him the focus of the other selke finalists and take those three good seasons he had and make that 0-1 good seasons. I will not base his career off of coulda woulda shoulda, he didn't elevate his linemates, regardless of who was there, he made them worst so he could look better. Did you actually watch him play his whole career, or did you jump on the Stanley cup bandwagon and just keep running with it? 

And again he left the team like a piece of $&!#

On 1/21/2020 at 9:05 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Like distant ship smoke on the horizon. 

When I was child I had a fever.

My hands felt just like two balloons.

Now I've got that feeling once again.

I can't explain...you would not understand....

I didn't come here for Pink Floyd, but I am definitely leaving here with some :metal:

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Tanti at his peak was very close to as good a goal scorer as Dale Hawerchuk.  Beliveau and Richard barely even overlapped with the existence of the Canucks, and that's if you reach and use Henri instead of Maurice.

Five straight seasons of 39+ goals should be celebrated and would be by many teams.  I'm actually surprised he gets so little fanfare and recognition around here.

You know how many players in NHL history have had five 40 goal seasons?  36, ever.  Give Tanti one more goal on two years and the players he has matched in that regard are: Gordie Howe, Bryan Trottier, Peter Stastny, Joe Sakic, Darryl Sittler, ahem...Pavel Bure.

I meant Henri. 

But I actually didn't know that about Tanti, he was a better scorer than i thought, I stand corrected.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

You're a damn fool if you put kesler and toews together at all, you're comparing captain Canada, first line center with multiple cups toews to kesler... The second line center, just like most playoff teams had that shut down top lines... selke is a great trophy, and if he had won multiple I could see your point in continuing to bring it up, but he didn't..You make him out to be this near God on ice, he was just above average in everything, and excellent defensive..

he has no legacy, he has one playoff series and three good, not great seasons. Could we have done as good as we did without him, of course not. You put him on the top line, make him the focus of the other selke finalists and take those three good seasons he had and make that 0-1 good seasons. I will not base his career off of coulda woulda shoulda, he didn't elevate his linemates, regardless of who was there, he made them worst so he could look better. Did you actually watch him play his whole career, or did you jump on the Stanley cup bandwagon and just keep running with it? 

Like it or not it's a fact Kesler was a Selke winner, runner up, or finalist five times in a row.   Not many players in the history of the game accomplished that and yes he was competing with Toews and Bergeron for the best two way center in the game..even after he left he was nominated a couple times.   He was as important to the US teams as Toews and Bergeron were to the Canadian team, arguably more so given he's really all they had - and he almost willed the US to a gold medal over a heavily favoured Canadian team - and yes he played better then his counterparts in 2010..so don't be a d!ck about it.   If we won a cup instead - he might have a Conn Smythe too - and a resume strong enough for the HHOF given recent inductions lowered the bar...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

I started watching kesler when he went to the moose so yea I've been following his career for awhile ha

also Toews is a great two way centre and so was kesler.....Jesus kesler played a shut down role and similar style as Toews so yea I put them in the same boat as two of the best two way forwards of their time.....kopitar makes that list too and acouple players from the east but that's it. During keslers time it was the time of the two way centres , I've never seen so many great ones in one time......

kesler proved he could hang with the best like Toews and such cause we all remember USA vs Canada and how kesler almost won it for the states......

kesler a god.....maybe a Greek god.....:bigblush:

Edited by RowdyCanuck

17 hours ago, tas said:

it sets a really bad precedent. 

Lol 

That shipped sailed with the hair puller being immortalized in the Ring. 

Then again, wrong forum to express such an opinion considering there is a permanent bent-rule Thread on Burrows still allowed to exist in Canucks Talk for several years now  for reasons best not mentioned, so again, probably wrong venue to get hung up on the spirit or task of the statement behind Ring of Honor

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, spur1 said:

Simple straight forward answer here.... NO. 

Kess was a warrior for us, however I see him as a Momesso or an Adams. A complimentary player not a star. Will he be a HOF? Don’t think so.  

Same could be said about Burrows, Ronning,  Lumme, Babych etc although none of them won any individual hardware .... Kesler was one of the very best two-way centers in the game for his generation - and he wasn't playing with Kane or Pastrnak was he?   Yes Toews and Bergeron definitely played with a lot better wingers then Kesler ever did.   If Guy Carbanou can get inducted - Kesler definitely would if he won a cup.   You don't have to score a bunch of points to be a star - see Toews - who just happened to play with the best team the past decade. Understand fans dislike for the guy - but you can't take away what he meant to the best Sedin team - without him no Art Ross or Harts for them,  no presidents trophies and no Stanley Cup run.  Nobody questions the Sedins as not being Star players - look how fast they got exposed once Kesler left and they were still in their late prime and obstruction was gone.

The Sedins ascension had tons to do with Kesler taking on harder assignments playing with worse players - I would take a player like Kesler over one Sedin any time.   His career was cut short due to how he played it...tough - hard - gifted scorer etc.  He was absolutely a star for us and considered one too.  

Horvat might follow in his footsteps - but only if he also discovers his inner Beast mode.  I mean come on that's a moniker specifically created for one guy ... if that's not a lasting impact on the organization I don't know what is.  Luongo should also be inducted.   Glad Burrows is in too ... but if he's in the bar is definitely low enough for an actual star in Kesler.   Some fans think Salo should be in (talk about support player - one that plays 40 games a year too ha ha )....

Im fine either way - but he was undeniably just as important to that team as the Sedins and Luongo...Burrows - well he's loved so get that too.   But in that case where the heck is Snepts? 

• Upvote 1