The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

If it's any consolation, every other slapshot of his ended up in the Ring of Honour.

Lol i remember his first few games and i was talking with friends and we all thought wow, those high snapshots are either going to ding someone in the head or his own teammates will ding him in the head after dodging all those shots! I can't remember where he went to next but then he did hit someone in the head with his slap shot!!!

• Upvote 1

On 2/2/2020 at 11:14 AM, BCNate said:

Sedins are going to get retired jerseys, and Luongo should be in the ROH.  Next up will be the guys from this upcoming era like Bo, EP and Hughes if things go well.

Luongo will probably go in.

But I bet management gives it some extra thought after sticking the Canucks with that dead cap space for a few years.

Edit: And i'm referencing him taking the office job in Florida.  Not the League retro-actively punishing 'at the time' legitimate contracts.  Although I suppose it is all connected at the end of the day.

Edited by Industrious1

On 1/21/2020 at 8:43 PM, luckylager said:

No.

There's no honour in the way he left.

Catch 22 for players. Gillis tells Kesler the team is going to rebuild after that season and, at his age, he prefers to chase the cup than go through a rebuild. He gets vilified. Rebuild starts and fans say everbody needs to waive their ntc for the rebuild. Year after year posts about Edler and the Sedins needing to waive to go for a cup and fans angry they're not doing it. They're called selfish. No win situation.

I have full respect for both choices. When a player has an ntc it's the players choice to pursue the cup or stay. They earned the choice. My only knock on Kesler, for a player wanting to be moved, he put too big a restriction on where he would move to limiting the return.

• Upvote 2

in 2010, i was coaching my son in  atom hockey. our team happened to win a full team trip to a canucks game. Really big deal for the kids. Full day canucks tour, pre- game skate , dressing room tour , meals , the works. Fantastic day. However after the pregame skate the kids had a chance to say hi and get autographs from some canucks players. Kessler gave our entire team the cold shoulder. Not even a wave. Nothing. I was stunned. Next up, the BlackHawks. road game. tired. All the big guns showed up and went out of their way to say Hi, good luck, chat. was Amazing. My wife and I were wowed with the class the Hawks players displayed for the young kids. I hate the Hawks, will never cheer for them. They have my full respect as professionals, Ryan Kessler in the ring of honor? I definitely hope not

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

If you were to compare Luongo’s situation to Kesler’s without knowing the personalities. Player A and Player B would be hard to distinguish. Luongo handcuffed Gillis into a Florida trade, Kesler to Chicago or Anaheim. The only real difference is their tweeting abilities. Kesler did a lot for the community when he was here. Was a great teammate, had a very cap friendly contract. His hips were nearly out of their sockets and he wanted another shot at a championship before he retired. If you listen to Kes and Juice you can see he is just a normal guy that said some things and did some things he regrets. We should forget about the bad stuff and thank him for the good stuff. Maybe not the ring of honour but a cheer if we ever reunite the 2011 team in a pregame ceremony. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2020 at 10:00 PM, Hey Guys!! said:

If you were to compare Luongo’s situation to Kesler’s without knowing the personalities. Player A and Player B would be hard to distinguish. Luongo handcuffed Gillis into a Florida trade, Kesler to Chicago or Anaheim. The only real difference is their tweeting abilities. Kesler did a lot for the community when he was here. Was a great teammate, had a very cap friendly contract. His hips were nearly out of their sockets and he wanted another shot at a championship before he retired. If you listen to Kes and Juice you can see he is just a normal guy that said some things and did some things he regrets. We should forget about the bad stuff and thank him for the good stuff. Maybe not the ring of honour but a cheer if we ever reunite the 2011 team in a pregame ceremony. 

comparing luongo to kesler?

Luongo was easily the best goalie we have had in franchise history. One of the only goalies ever to be named a captain. Helped us to get to the SC finals.. yes he "chocked" but pretty hard to blame him for us getting SHUT OUT.. FFS some people are clueless..

YES to Luongo in ring of honor.. No to kesler.. Sorry, he was good but not "great"

3 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

comparing luongo to kesler?

Luongo was easily the best goalie we have had in franchise history. One of the only goalies ever to be named a captain. Helped us to get to the SC finals.. yes he "chocked" but pretty hard to blame him for us getting SHUT OUT.. FFS some people are clueless..

YES to Luongo in ring of honor.. No to kesler.. Sorry, he was good but not "great"

It's not that bad a comparison.  Kesler is not "easily" but quite possibly the best two way player in team history.  Kesler also helped us get to the SC finals.  In fact, he almost singlehandedly got us there in the 3rd round, so you can't really point to Lu's playoff performance as something categorically better than Kesler's.

As to Lu being named team captain...  I don't know if that whole experience really counts as a positive on the ledger.  It was kind of a "let's just forget about that and pretend it didn't happen" type of thing.

14 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's not that bad a comparison.  Kesler is not "easily" but quite possibly the best two way player in team history.  Kesler also helped us get to the SC finals.  In fact, he almost singlehandedly got us there in the 3rd round, so you can't really point to Lu's playoff performance as something categorically better than Kesler's.

As to Lu being named team captain...  I don't know if that whole experience really counts as a positive on the ledger.  It was kind of a "let's just forget about that and pretend it didn't happen" type of thing.

Both linden and horvat are significantly better two way centers

• Wat 1

23 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Both linden and horvat are significantly better two way centers

No, they're not significantly better.  They are good competition for Kesler, which is why I said his position as the best is debatable.

Trevor was undderrated as a two-way player and Eastern bias was a bigger thing back then, but he only registered significantly in Selke voting one time ever, and finished 5th.

Kesler has been a finalist five times and won the trophy, as a Canuck.  He also crested 40 goals, which Linden never did.  It's early on Horvat and I see some Selke voting in his future, but to say he is already significantly better, no.

Kesler is top five of his generation.

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

No, they're not significantly better.  They are good competition for Kesler, which is why I said his position as the best is debatable.

Trevor was undderrated as a two-way player and Eastern bias was a bigger thing back then, but he only registered significantly in Selke voting one time ever, and finished 5th.

Kesler has been a finalist five times and won the trophy, as a Canuck.  He also crested 40 goals, which Linden never did.  It's early on Horvat and I see some Selke voting in his future, but to say he is already significantly better, no.

Kesler is top five of his generation.

When it comes down to it, I just don't like him as a person and the ring of honour should be about him as a person as well as a player.  I met him once and never wanted to meet the guy again, and I've heard many stories of people who had bad interactions with him too. 

His selke, and 40 goal season doesn't out weigh his personality.

One question though, top five of his generation? He was a second line center if I remember correctly... Or do you mean top five two way center of his generation? 

Edited by kylecanuck