The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’m going say no, because where does it end? 

The ring of honour should mean something. There’s like 5-6 guys off that ‘11 cup team you could make a case for...are you going to put them all in? And if so, do you put in the 5-6 guy from the ‘94 team who you can make a case for as well? Or the ‘82 team....and so on. 

Are we planning to put 50 guys in the ring? 

I’d prefer it to remain somewhat exclusive. 

3 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

And kes honoured all Canucks fans by putting body threw hell......so why not put him up there? 

Just stop, we have way to many retired jerseys and I don't want just anyone up in the ring of honor either... This is getting beyond dumb, soon we will have every player that's played in the last 20 years up there. What about Jason king, how about the braberian? Alex auld was our future!! Cody hodgson had that slap shot against Tim Thomas, let's put him up too!!!!

Burrows should be the measuring stick when it comes to heart and honor in recent memory for the Canucks and kesler doesn't hold a candle to him

Edited by kylecanuck
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

it's an exaggeration in the name of making a point. the point is that you should be able to consistently apply the same logic in varying circumstances, and clearly you can't in this case. 

what? 

I would say the answer to respecting a juggler who kills children is a hard NO

So then you're saying I should apply the same logic to my respect of a determined player, of a sport I love, who supposedly was a d*** sometimes outside the game?

Please elaborate.. 

On 1/21/2020 at 8:22 PM, iBlueGreen said:

I listened to Sportnet Ryan Kesler on Sportsnet 650 on my way home today, listen at 11:30. He mentions how he'd feel if he was inducted like Burrows.  In the interview he states, as well he regrets how he left the Canuck market.  

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour? 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-program/ryan-kesler-discusses-importance-confidence-team-2/

I'd really like to see him there sometime in the future.  I understand he's was an ass the way he left, but we all know that type of personality got us to the cup final as well.  

The greatest line from him is: "I think about the loss almost every month' and even imagined how the parade would be.

Share your thoughts. Also vote in the poll.

Not a chance in hell!!

And a number of his team mates and their wives would agree with me...

:mad:

Edit: kesler burned way too many bridge (and mattresses) in Vancouver to ever deserve a spot in the ring of honour.  Now, on the other hand, the ring of dishonour......::D

Edited by Kanukfanatic

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Don't remember saying anything about a children hospital or that he spat on anyone.   Simply saying he had a strong douche reputation around the league and was seen as a "me first" player that was shown in spades how he not only demanded a trade but made it public it was only to "California based" teams basically stripping the Canucks of any trade leverage.   For a guy to be a legacy to the Canucks, screwing them over as your last move with the club isn't good on the resume.

Bure sat out and we still l him......

i know you didn't mention spitting or anything like that but kes did do some good off ice too it's just overshadowed by well you and that's why I say don't let one moment ruin a great players legacy. 

See you see kes as D bag that put him self first and what I saw was a guy willing to do anything to win and once he seen that the Sedins were never going to win a cup , he left I would have done the same thing. 

Kesler loved the game but he loved winning more and that's something the Sedins didn't have....they just loved the game....

23 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He deserves some honor but not ring of honor as it stands now.

Let's trade Loui for kes and maybe Kesler will get a ring as not getting in the ring of  honour lol

45 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Just stop, we have way to many retired jerseys and I don't want just anyone up in the ring of honor either... This is getting beyond dumb, soon we will have every player that's played in the last 20 years up there. What about Jason king, how about the braberian? Alex auld was our future!! Cody hodgson had that slap shot against Tim Thomas, let's put him up too!!!!

Burrows should be the measuring stick when it comes to heart and honor in recent memory for the Canucks and kesler doesn't hold a candle to him

How many players up there were as great as kesler though? 

Like google him lol his done a lot on ice that deserves to be up there.....honestly I think he should be up there before burrows. 

I love burr but kesler was the better player.......

Kesler as a two way forward reached every goal he should have.....like what more did kesler have to do to please you? Lol

Edited by RowdyCanuck

47 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

I’m going say no, because where does it end? 

The ring of honour should mean something. There’s like 5-6 guys off that ‘11 cup team you could make a case for...are you going to put them all in? And if so, do you put in the 5-6 guy from the ‘94 team who you can make a case for as well? Or the ‘82 team....and so on. 

Are we planning to put 50 guys in the ring? 

I’d prefer it to remain somewhat exclusive

Exclusive now that a six time selke finalist and a guy that took us pass the preds.....without him we wouldn't have made it to the final.....Sedins sure showed up though.....

kesler deserves just as much credit as those two.....if not more!

kesler also was a great player longer the sedins( Sedins had three years lol) 

his also one of like 9 Canuck players to reach 40 goals in a season......

you right when does the madness end lmfao

kesler's career on ice should be the bar to get in on playing ability and the Sedins should be the bar off ice....

16 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Let's trade Loui for kes and maybe Kesler will get a ring as not getting in the ring of  honour lol

Like google him lol his done a lot on ice that deserves to be up there.....honestly I think he should be up there before burrows. 

Kesler as a two way forward reached every goal he should have.....like what more did kesler have to do to please you? Lol

I watched probably every game kelser played for the Canucks and loved watching him play some of the time, he was a poor man's Linden though... He was a whinny person throughout, yes he eclipsed 70 points twice but could never play properly with any winger put on his line. He left the Canucks in a terrible way with a worst attitude, the only thing he ever accomplished was one selke trophy. 

He was an impressive player for 50% of his career and was average for the other 50.. I see nothing here that screams honour the guy

How about Brendan Morrison??

Murray Barron? 

Adrian accoin?

Gregg body?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Bure sat out and we still l him......

i know you didn't mention spitting or anything like that but kes did do some good off ice too it's just overshadowed by well you and that's why I say don't let one moment ruin a great players legacy. 

See you see kes as D bag that put him self first and what I saw was a guy willing to do anything to win and once he seen that the Sedins were never going to win a cup , he left I would have done the same thing. 

Kesler loved the game but he loved winning more and that's something the Sedins didn't have....they just loved the game....

For what it's worth I did see Kesler make impromptu appearances at stores and shopping centres to give away a couple Canuck tickets...

But even still I think he was mostly trying to pick up chicks.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Kesler was a better player than Burrows yes, but Mogilny was a better player than Linden...

I see the ROH as a lot more about longevity and character than peak performance.

Kesler demanded his way out (in the worst way) after 650 games.  He was 50 away from the 700 game club, at which point every Canuck so far has made into the ROH or had his number retired.  He should have bit the bullet for another season.

700 is the magic number.  700 chipmunks twirling on a branch, eating lots of sunflowers at my uncle's ranch.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nothing until Bure got here?   That's a bit silly unless you just by stats and skill alone.   We did have a magical run before he came - a true underdog and had to fight (literally and figuratively) every moment to get to the final (albeit to be dismantled by a top three all-time team in the peak of their powers - still it took OT one game to broom us)...  

We had Smyl, Boudrais, Gradin, Tanti (one of the best goal scorers we've ever had), and great role players too like Williams, Delmore, One Punch,  Kurtenbauch, Butcher (who gave us a plethora of good players for the Linden team), Snepts, Lidster etc etc...Bure was the best to ever lace them up and arguably a top 20 all-time talent, why do we need him to legitimize our team when we still had a rich history before him?  - Broduer and of course Linden too....

And what does consecutive successes mean?  Lindens team won more series then any of the others before or after.   Does it mean consecutive teams that make it?  Well Broduer and Linden finals aren't much different then the Linden Sedin ones time wise...

That 82 run was a miracle run. Other than that there was nothing to brag about. The fact that Tony tanti is one of the best goal scorers we have had is embarrassing lol. In an era with Gretzkys and Beliveaus and Richard's and Lafleurs and Bossys and Espositos and howerchuks etc etc .

Not trying to bash these players, its not their fault we had horrible management and drafting for 20 years. But the bar has been lowered. Kes should be up there, so should Bertuzzi.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

I watched probably every game kelser played for the Canucks and loved watching him play some of the time, he was a poor man's Linden though... He was a whinny person throughout, yes he eclipsed 70 points twice but could never play properly with any winger put on his line. He left the Canucks in a terrible way with a worst attitude, the only thing he ever accomplished was one selke trophy. 

He was an impressive player for 50% of his career and was average for the other 50.. I see nothing here that screams honour the guy

How about Brendan Morrison??

Murray Barron? 

Adrian accoin?

Gregg body?

Play properly with wingers? 

Wasnt david booth and Higgins the best wingers he played with? 

So I would say he never got to play with high end talent like Hossa or even a sharpe like the Hawks had on their second line. 

He got one selke but was a finalist for half a decade and during that time we saw some of the greatest two players I've ever  seen in the game......

the Sedins only won one thing each.....

I agree about the trade b.s but his resume should stand on its own.....

those other guys sorry I would take kesler over them cause kesler dominated at times and his playoff performances make him a legend already in my books and I haven't seen a Canuck player do the things kes did yet  and I love the west coast express but Bert and Nazzy made that line great and they made Brendan into a great centre......

the other three might have been before my time lol sorry

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Kesler was a better player than Burrows yes, but Mogilny was a better player than Linden...

I see the ROH as a lot more about longevity and character than peak performance.

Kesler demanded his way out (in the worst way) after 650 games.  He was 50 away from the 700 game club, at which point every Canuck so far has made into the ROH or had his number retired.  He should have bit the bullet for another season.

700 is the magic number.  700 chipmunks twirling on a branch, eating lots of sunflowers at my uncle's ranch.

I agree but kesler hips were going and no one knew how much longer he would play for.....

so risk playing your whole career and never have another chance at a cup or being a dick and go chasing the cup.....

I would pick cup but that's me and we all saw iggy go chasing the cup and he never got one and he was loyal as they came and that goes or a lot of players.

okay if not ring of honour then what?

canucks going to retire his number? 

You only really have to choice.....

36 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

That 82 run was a miracle run. Other than that there was nothing to brag about. The fact that Tony tanti is one of the best goal scorers we have had is embarrassing lol. In an era with Gretzkys and Beliveaus and Richard's and Lafleurs and Bossys and Espositos and howerchuks etc etc .

Not trying to bash these players, its not their fault we had horrible management and drafting for 20 years. But the bar has been lowered. Kes should be up there, so should Bertuzzi.

Tanti at his peak was very close to as good a goal scorer as Dale Hawerchuk.  Beliveau and Richard barely even overlapped with the existence of the Canucks, and that's if you reach and use Henri instead of Maurice.

Five straight seasons of 39+ goals should be celebrated and would be by many teams.  I'm actually surprised he gets so little fanfare and recognition around here.

You know how many players in NHL history have had five 40 goal seasons?  36, ever.  Give Tanti one more goal on two years and the players he has matched in that regard are: Gordie Howe, Bryan Trottier, Peter Stastny, Joe Sakic, Darryl Sittler, ahem...Pavel Bure.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree but kesler hips were going and no one knew how much longer he would play for.....

so risk playing your whole career and never have another chance at a cup or being a dick and go chasing the cup.....

I would pick cup but that's me and we all saw iggy go chasing the cup and he never got one and he was loyal as they came and that goes or a lot of players.

okay if not ring of honour then what?

canucks going to retire his number? 

You only really have to choice.....

Well certainly not a number retirement for Kesler.  I'm not that opposed to ROH, I would just lean away from it.  If he wants to go around and do some penance and grovel and whatnot, I can possibly get on board.  He was a very good player, I just don't see why we have to ask "what about Kesler" when nobody ever asks "what about" the other players I've listed, e.g. Brodeur, Lidster, Tanti, Boudrias, etc.

• Cheers 1

After more thought, as much as I want him up there, it’s a no for me. I do hope he is brought back to Vancouver and given a standing ovation.

He definitely regrets what happened. Heard him say he thinks about not winning it for us at least one month, his biggest regret, not winning it for Vancouver fans. 

I think most people are mistaken by his arrogance. It’s the reason he was a beast. Take away that douche mentality, and he’s not the same player. You can make that case for a few NHL players, Kane is a good example. Kes was one of the best two ways in the league.

I hope he’s there for Sedin night, he should be there. One of the best teammates they had. 

• Upvote 2

Not enough time has passed for the bitterness of the way the split happened to have gone away.

It wasn’t just leaving to go to a winner, which is understandable, it was at the same time leveraging his NTC and publicly handcuffing us to only one team as a possible trade partner.  That was the douche part.

There were apparently such strong feelings amongst the team brass that they had a big split about it.  Linden wanted to basically play chicken and refuse to honour his trade demand unless he widened his destination list.  Benning just wanted it done and move on.

Maybe eventually it will be fine, just like Bure was... but you don’t want to have a Ring or Honour ceremony with half the arena booing.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not enough time has passed for the bitterness of the way the split happened to have gone away.

It wasn’t just leaving to go to a winner, which is understandable, it was at the same time leveraging his NTC and publicly handcuffing us to only one team as a possible trade partner.  That was the douche part.

There were apparently such strong feelings amongst the team brass that they had a big split about it.  Linden wanted to basically play chicken and refus

e to honour his trade demand unless he widened his destination list.  Benning just wanted it done and move on.

Maybe eventually it will be fine, just like Bure was... but you don’t want to have a Ring or Honour ceremony with half the arena booing.

This sums it up imo.

A lot of fans still upset.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1