The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

When it comes down to it, I just don't like him as a person and the ring of honour should be about him as a person as well as a player.  I met him once and never wanted to meet the guy again, and I've heard many stories of people who had bad interactions with him too. 

His selke, and 40 goal season doesn't out weigh his personality.

One question though, top five of his generation? He was a second line center if I remember correctly... Or do you mean top five two way center of his generation? 

Yes, I meant top five two-way player.

10 hours ago, Sweathog said:

Yes.

Guy was a warrior, determined to win, played in traffic. One of the best defensive forwards we ever had.

Yeah I know he was a tool, and left the team in bad circumstances, but I feel that his play alone earns him a spot in the ROH.

Tool and Honor ?

Is it the

Ring of Honor

or 

Ring of being a good player for us?

He tried to leave early in his career, signing with Flyers

Other than earn a pay cheque which he was paid for and his demand of only one team available to go too

I see no honor, other than he was a decent player for us (Which we may as well add many others then)

He moved on from the Canucks

I have moved on from him and being upset

Hopefully, the Canucks have moved on too

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On January 22, 2020 at 7:08 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

if we're going to start putting guys up there for two 70 point seasons they'd better build an additional upper ring of honour too. 

If we confined it to players like Kesler and the Sedins who have earned major NHL awards, I don't think we'll be running out of room that fast.

31 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

If we confined it to players like Kesler and the Sedins who have earned major NHL awards, I don't think we'll be running out of room that fast.

I guess. Part of my problem is I never liked Kesler in the first place :lol: so its hard for me to look back on his time here fondly. The way he left really turned me off. 

I don't know how any one on here can really be upset with Kesler. Its not like the fans or the team are loyal to the players either. Anyone loyal to Louis Erikkson? or Gudbranson? etc etc. But when a player gets past a certain skill level, suddenly the poles reverse, the fans forget what they do on a week to week basis, and act like complete hypocrites.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, butters said:

I don't know how any one on here can really be upset with Kesler. Its not like the fans or the team are loyal to the players either. Anyone loyal to Louis Erikkson? or Gudbranson? etc etc. But when a player gets past a certain skill level, suddenly the poles reverse, the fans forget what they do on a week to week basis, and act like complete hypocrites.

Not loyal?

The team pays them and does not withhold payments

The fans become delirious when they earn what they are paid (Really is anyone worth multi millions playing hockey each year)?

The fans are not getting into the ROH 

Neither should players who aren't dear to it's fans and just limit it to Special players who were true Canucks, not just good players

4 hours ago, butters said:

I don't think that many people are still upset with Kesler, they just don't see a valid reason to put him in the RoH.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Tool and Honor ?

Is it the

Ring of Honor

or 

Ring of being a good player for us?

He tried to leave early in his career, signing with Flyers

Other than earn a pay cheque which he was paid for and his demand of only one team available to go too

I see no honor, other than he was a decent player for us (Which we may as well add many others then)

He moved on from the Canucks

I have moved on from him and being upset

Hopefully, the Canucks have moved on too

What utter crap. So you are negotiating with your boss, who is not willing to pay you what you feel your services are worth. A competitor says, "we really value you, so if you are not able to reach agreement with your current boss, here is what we are willing to pay you." 

And you of course, would say, "no, get away from me with that (much higher) offer, I am going to show loyalty to my current boss, even though he is not being loyal to me and is not willing to pay a fair price for my services." Sure you would.

4 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Not loyal?

The team pays them and does not withhold payments

The fans become delirious when they earn what they are paid (Really is anyone worth multi millions playing hockey each year)?

The fans are not getting into the ROH 

Neither should players who aren't dear to it's fans and just limit it to Special players who were true Canucks, not just good players

Yes the players are worth multi millions. If they weren't getting it, it would just go into the owners' pockets. If they weren't playing, there wouldn't be any millions in the first place.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:43 PM, luckylager said:

No.

There's no honour in the way he left.

He signed for 1.5 mil less than market value. Who leaked what? Why did the Canucks trade to Anaheim? They didn't have to trade him at all regardless of circumstances, he didn't have a clause that gave him the decision, the decision was solely Benning and Linden's to trade him at that time.

The guy played all out.

How about fans remember the playoffs when he was playing with a groin tear and hip labrum tear.

He never cheated this franchise with less than all out effort.

Grow up respect what he did when he was here, if the return had been better there would be hardly any dissension He influenced a bunch of players to take home town discounts

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

He signed for 1.5 mil less than market value. Who leaked what? Why did the Canucks trade to Anaheim? They didn't have to trade him at all regardless of circumstances, he didn't have a clause that gave him the decision, the decision was solely Benning and Linden's to trade him at that time.

The guy played all out.

How about fans remember the playoffs when he was playing with a groin tear and hip labrum tear.

He never cheated this franchise with less than all out effort.

Grow up respect what he did when he was here, if the return had been better there would be hardly any dissension He influenced a bunch of players to take home town discounts

Telling me to "grow up"  in a piece of crap post that reads as though it was written by a 10 year old is cute AF, Lazurus. 

He handcuffed the team. It was a total dick move and to deny it is a sad fanboy play.

He was a warrior for the Canucks, I'm not denying that, but the way in which he chose to leave soured my opinion of him. His efforts should be respected, but he doesn't belong in the ring of honour. No way.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Turned out in the end that the return was actually pretty great.  We just didn't know what we had in either Bonino or McCann, or that Kesler would essentially be completely done after three years.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

I have no problems with Kesler, he left it all out there on the ice.  

We should thank him for wanting out and speeding up our rebuild process.  Who knows, we might've won a round with him if he stuck around longer and our management might've talked themselves into thinking that we were still a contender.  

On 2/8/2020 at 7:34 PM, kylecanuck said:

When it comes down to it, I just don't like him as a person and the ring of honour should be about him as a person as well as a player.  I met him once and never wanted to meet the guy again, and I've heard many stories of people who had bad interactions with him too. 

His selke, and 40 goal season doesn't out weigh his personality.

One question though, top five of his generation? He was a second line center if I remember correctly... Or do you mean top five two way center of his generation? 

Obviously he means 2 way center. Finished second to Datsyuk 3 times? 

Like him as a person or not, he played hard and left it on the ice for the Canucks. When they decided to rebuild he decided to go - many players do that, and I dont blame him in the least. 

The ring of honor isnt a Jersey retirement, and I believe we have enough jerseys retired for a team with ZERO cups. But ring of honor? Kes was a force, hell he beat the preds single handedly. Love the guy, and hope Canuck fans cheer him tommorow... because while he was here he gave it his all. How much weight did he give up fighting Iginla multiple times? He was a gamer, how he left is in the past. It's a &^@#ing job, and he chose to try and win a cup instead of go through a painful rebuild.