The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Carolina Hurricanes | Feb. 02, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, lmm said:

Brock went pointless on the 3rd line. So that is a problem.

He had 2 assists from the 3rd line, after he got settled in. Not a problem, at all.

What is a problem, however, is the coach bouncing him all over.

Edited by xereau

2 minutes ago, the grinder said:

so you want to go behind the net every time then change ?  so  what happens when the other team pressures  the lone guy holding the puck  then what , what happens when its the long change ?   its a nice theory but in reality dumping it in is part of the game  when shifts are 45 seconds long  

Sure dump it in when it makes sense...but I've seen many times when they could have maintained possession by taking it back without having too much pressure. There's always improvement to be made with some of their decisions if they want to become a dominant puck possession team that generates scoring chances, rather than making the easy dump play and giving up possession with no pressure. It's obvious when they make the easy play (dump in) when they could have maintained possession.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tracksuit said:

True but the structure doesn’t seem to be there either they miss assignments and look out of place constantly. The outstanding goaltending has really covered up a lot of deficiencies.

the pp uses the static umbrella it’s so predictable and if opposition isn’t passive they barely get set up. 

On the last winning streak I seen a lot of play in the offensive zone and the only line having trouble maintaining possession was the Gaud/Boes/Rouss line. Their minutes were lessened and there was far more flow to the play. The last game we went back to chasing and unable to retrieve the puck along the boards. 

The PP has gone back to the pass, pass, pass lose the puck structure of old. Watch who completes the last pass when the puck gets sent out of the zone, it is usually the same personnel. Petey and Hughes are the only threats to score so the teams concentrate on them. They need to change it up.

• Cheers 1

Boeser is fine = he'll be fine.

5 pts in 5 games to start January.

5 games without.

And now 2 in 3 games.

Some line shifting - but overall the only thing absent is his bread and butter - goal-scoring - and it'll be back.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, xereau said:

He had 2 assists from the 3rd line, after he got settled in. Not a problem, at all.

What is a problem, however, is the coach bouncing him all over.

not to be nit picky but the first Apple he blocked a Tanev shot and Hughes put in the rebound and the second (in Isles game) he was with Petey and Miller at the time.

I have been on record that I am not in favor of the line blender, but I thought the changes made in the Isles game were good as the team was not generating any shots .

I thk during the Willie era we got used to seeing him twitching away behind the bench, when Travis Green twitches, you cannot see it on his face or in his demeanor, what we see is "Line Blender". I am not catagorically against changimg up the lines, but in the case of Travis Green, he has over-used and under-thought the process to a point where fans and players alike just roll their eyes and think 'Oh no, here we go again, Travis has run out of ideas, so...'. At that point it is the same as using the Brown drop every play, it loses its shock value/ surprize. It loses all value.

In Green's defense he has used the line blender less, and IMHO the team is winning as a result

27 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

On the last winning streak I seen a lot of play in the offensive zone and the only line having trouble maintaining possession was the Gaud/Boes/Rouss line. Their minutes were lessened and there was far more flow to the play. The last game we went back to chasing and unable to retrieve the puck along the boards. 

The PP has gone back to the pass, pass, pass lose the puck structure of old. Watch who completes the last pass when the puck gets sent out of the zone, it is usually the same personnel. Petey and Hughes are the only threats to score so the teams concentrate on them. They need to change it up.

I agree but think Miller is in there also, Bo has the ability to score greasy rebounds and work in front of the net, but does not always want to play there. Too often there is no net presence. I would put Pearson, Virtanen or even Myers in front of the net. Again Brock is the odd man out.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

I agree but think Miller is in there also, Bo has the ability to score greasy rebounds and work in front of the net, but does not always want to play there. Too often there is no net presence. I would put Pearson, Virtanen or even Myers in front of the net. Again Brock is the odd man out.

I agree with Miller but I find he is stuck doing all the work along the boards with not much help. Yeah Bo doesn't cause too much havoc in front of the net he is maybe too...... "gentlemanly"? There needs to be some distraction to give Petey and Hughes time to work their magic. A big body like you mentioned would help.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, the grinder said:

so what do you suggest we do instead  , not change lines ?   change lines  when we have the puck in the  neutral zone  ?   or just skate back behind our net and wait every single time?  shifts are 30 to 45 seconds  ,   you need to dump the puck in to change lines 

Yes but you don't need to send your entire team off at the same time to do a line change. Dump it in, send in a forechecker to stall the breakout, and on the backcheck that forechecker goes to change lines while the rest of his linemates stall the play in the neutral zone. Hockey 101. 

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Yes but you don't need to send your entire team off at the same time to do a line change. Dump it in, send in a forechecker to stall the breakout, and on the backcheck that forechecker goes to change lines while the rest of his linemates stall the play in the neutral zone. Hockey 101. 

of course , hockey 101 dump it in and make the safe play right ?  

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

of course , hockey 101 dump it in and make the safe play right ?  

That's hockey 101 for basic hockey though and is usually in reference to a defensive play. Also hockey 101 is don't just give the puck to the other team. The top teams in the league are consistently possession teams. It's rare you get a successful team that doesn't have great possession numbers, and if you're allowing the other team to increase their possession numbers, you're lessening your chance of becoming victorious. It's a really simple adjustment, but it requires effort, and sometimes when you're gassed you don't want to make that effort. That's why guys like JT Miller are so pivotal to the success of this team alone, because he's not the kind of player that just chips and forgets. He chips it in and goes to get it.