The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Nucks @ Leafs Feb 29 2020 - 4:00 Pacific - HNIC - Leap Year Edition

Rate this topic

xereau

I’m neutral on our coach.
He is doing a decent job as far as I am concerned. He’s not bad, nor great, IMO. 

However, I saw that interesting graphic earlier in the thread where Greener had a bunch of Jack Adams mock-votes and I am still wondering what metrics/results that those voters who put him there would qualify their vote with.

56C60F1F-FB31-47EB-BDAA-4B3BF970C915.jpeg.9f8e76c65e0c492183a3357525e85b68.jpeg

What does TG do so well as a HC in Vancouver that people would not only refer to him as a good/great coach, but a Coach of the Year candidate? 

Sure, it’s a nothing burger, but it did get me thinking. 

I’ve seen plenty of anti-TG posts and discussion and far less pro-TG, with most falling in the indifferent/better than Willy group. 

So my question to anyone mock-voting him for an Adams... exactly what does TG do as HC better than everyone else, or is it more a law of averages thing that pushes him to the top of the HC pile? 

I don’t get the fanfare.
Has he done more with less? Etc. No.
What am I missing as far as his coaching being tops in the league? 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1

Just now, EdgarM said:

He is our ROOKIE, BACK UP goalie, give him a break. Sheesh!

It's not too much for @The Great 8 to ask for no soft goals by Demko....

He's 24 years old. Time to step up and be a difference maker. Two games in a row he hasn't played well. 

Need him to playing well during Marky's injury. Demko's play will decide if we make the playoffs or not. He can't allow too many soft goals during the home stretch here. 

He's gotta be able to play decent and get the team into playoffs. If he plays like he did in OTT again tonight vs Leafs it'll be a major disappointment.

Good thing Anderson is playing pretty bad since his return from injury few games ago. He's been horrible for the Leafs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He's 24 years old. Time to step up and be a difference maker. Two games in a row he hasn't played well. 

Need him to playing well during Marky's injury. Demko's play will decide if we make the playoffs or not. He can't allow too many soft goals during the home stretch here. 

He's gotta be able to play decent and get the team into playoffs. If he plays like he did in OTT again tonight vs Leafs it'll be a major disappointment.

Good thing Anderson is playing pretty bad since his return from injury few games ago. He's been horrible for the Leafs. 

I used to hope for an Evan Bouchard for Demko trade; A hockey trade, in my books, but Edmonton instead signed their boat anchor of a goalie-fix for our enjoyment. 

Today, I’d guess that Demko’s stock or intrigue has somewhat/slightly diminished and that Bouchard has maintained expectations or projections, if not climbed slightly. 

I’ve always maintained that the goalie position is relatively easy to resolve or procure on July 1 and that drafting and developing for that position shouldn’t be much of a focus given that there are generally more average or serviceable goalies available than positions at every level of the sport. 

Glad to have Demko who is by all accounts an excellent human and team guy. Having said that, I feel he is, like so many others, easily replaceable so I don’t consider him a core piece of the future. Meanwhile, obviously I hope his stock goes through the ceiling for future considerations. 

I would like to watch what Gaud could do with two scoring wingers. 

Both EP and Horvat’s health have prevented this from happening, but you have to think that at some point the injury bug will get Horvat, the guy with the most scars and bruises out of every Canuck except for Edler and Tavev. 

Horvat has put on so many hard miles already. Luckily, he’s built to absorb those unlike EP40 who is an absolute treat to watch as a Canucks fan. 

I think Gaud has an Andrew Cassels style and ceiling, but hasn’t yet had the assignment to build his case. I’m not hoping for injuries, but here is a sliver lining, IMO. 

30 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

go look at markstrom's stats from the same age (hint: he was back in the ahl) and then readjust your expectations. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, tas said:

go look at markstrom's stats from the same age (hint: he was back in the ahl) and then readjust your expectations. 

Who said he has to follow the exact same path as Markstrom?

Why didn't he follow Patrick Roy who won a Cup as a rookie at 20 yrs old. Saying things like that doesn't make sense. This isn't school where all Kids start grade 3 together in September and finish in June.. 

Every goalie has his own path. Why would Demko follow exact same path and timeline as Marky?

I'm not sure what you mean....

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Green actually said to Patterson that he thinks that the lineup gives them the best chance to win. 

So having faster, larger, and more engaged players like MacEwen and Bailey (who would need to be recalled) would lessen the team’s capability of winning over floaters like Roussel and Eriksson? 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green actually said to Patterson that he thinks that the lineup gives them the best chance to win. 

So having faster, larger, and more engaged players like MacEwen and Bailey (who would need to be recalled) would lessen the team’s capability of winning over floaters like Roussel and Eriksson? 

If there ever was a need to dress certain “skill” required to expose the depleted, nervous Leafs D, tonight was it. 

• Cheers 2