The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets | Mar. 01, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

LOL a week ago we were talking about who we were gonna face in the playoffs, now we're hanging on to a playoff spot by a thread. Just goes to show that no lead, whether in the standings or in a game, is ever safe with this team.

I think that goes for all teams. You're either growing or dying.

26 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Travis is a good coach, he's top 3 in the Jack Adam's projection for a reason. Everyone needs to take a chill pill.

Time is our only enemy. With time our young core will grow and our bad contracts will phase out.

Regroup and get ready for the next game.

He's not top 3 for the Adams award lol.

Bednar Colorado,Tippet Edmonton,Cassidy Boston,Berube St.Louis,Riedern Washington and Vigneault Flyers are all further along ( from off the top of my head)...

42 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The only reason our average age is even that high is because of Beagle Edler and Loui. Context matters. 

What do you think happens when 38 yr old Hainsey, 36 yr old Spezza, Folino or Gerber are subtraced and then there is the number of players under 24 on those teams,

39 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well the guys who carry the mail for the team are young. Its the best players who drive the team ultimately not the fringe guys. I'm with you on looking at Benning.

Realistically seeing as this is a young core missing its MVP goalie, I think they are about where most would've expected coming into the year.

But the pressure for this team to be in the playoffs with the moves they made for the now kinda puts the formerly 'realistic' expectations in the rear view. And to give Benning the benefit of the doubt, I do think the order probably came from ownership to be aggressive & get in this year. But playoffs or bust is the expectation they set with those moves IMO. 

It is obvious that his was a rushed team, not enough depth and not enough youth, third and fourth lines that cost 20+ million.

There is too much pressure on to few young guys too soon, Edmonton did this for a decade.

If this was an owner thing then Benning would not have had his contract renewed at all, BUT he is the only one that did so this could have been a do or die season, Benning certainly sold the future for this effort and not just trading away future picks, also by not cashing in on expiring contracts to improve the future, it makes this all or nothing season.

If it was the owners just wanting money or a playoff spot they could have done this 4 years ago, trading away 1rst and 2nd picks, well they did trade 2nds for magic beans but not the first before.

Won't be long before whatever is going to happen, does.

Pretty sure if they miss it will be less than 48 hours and if they are embarrassed in the playoffs, ditto.a lot of things point to a fresh blank slate for new management to step in.

Pretty sure Benning's deal was renewed so another 2+ 1 so if fired he is only owed one year.

Edited by Lazurus
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 6string said:

He's not top 3 for the Adams award lol.

Bednar Colorado,Tippet Edmonton,Cassidy Boston,Berube St.Louis,Riedern Washington and Vigneault Flyers are all further along ( from off the top of my head)...

He's not top 3 for me but just mentioning the NHL list that was released a week or so ago.

• Cheers 1

Just now, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Sullivan (Penguins) and Toterella.  It was also mentioned that both these coaches, coached in Vancouver, (sullivan an assistant in 2014).  The irony.

Good choices, both dealing with injuries in a very tough division

What upsets me the most is that if markstrom wasn’t as hot as he was, this team would be outside the playoffs right now.  His injury just exposed this team for what it is.  I do not blame the players. I blame the coaching staff.

its like watching the starwars prequels.  All 3 were great movies, acting was good!  Except for the dialogue and direction was so horrendous that it made ewan Gregor look like a bad actor.   (Probably a dumb metaphor)

green and co. Do not push this team.  We have a solid team, with proper guidance we should be dominating.   How would this team be if gallant was coaching?  Or AV was back coaching?  

• Wat 3

Positives from this Game:

- if we drop from the playoffs we have a 1st round pick again

- we are headed back home where our record is miles better 

- the other teams around us have been sucking almost as bad as we have 

- even a single win could change the momentum of this team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

What do you think happens when 38 yr old Hainsey, 36 yr old Spezza, Folino or Gerber are subtraced and then there is the number of players under 24 on those teams,

It is obvious that his was a rushed team, not enough depth and not enough youth, third and fourth lines that cost 20+ million.

There is too much pressure on to few young guys too soon, Edmonton did this for a decade.

If this was an owner thing then Benning would not have had his contract renewed at all, BUT he is the only one that did so this could have been a do or die season, Benning certainly sold the future for this effort and not just trading away future picks, also by not cashing in on expiring contracts to improve the future, it makes this all or nothing season.

If it was the owners just wanting money or a playoff spot they could have done this 4 years ago, trading away 1rst and 2nd picks, well they did trade 2nds for magic beans but not the first before.

Won't be long before whatever is going to happen, does.

Pretty sure if they miss it will be less than 48 hours and if they are embarrassed in the playoffs, ditto.everything point to a fresh slate for new management to step in.

Beagle, Edler and Eriksson are our only old players. Like I said in the post context matters. Continuously using them as a crutch that were an older team than we are is disingenuous at best.  

1 minute ago, sassbs said:

What upsets me the most is that if markstrom wasn’t as hot as he was, this team would be outside the playoffs right now.  His injury just exposed this team for what it is.  I do not blame the players. I blame the coaching staff.

its like watching the starwars prequels.  All 3 were great movies, acting was good!  Except for the dialogue and direction was so horrendous that it made ewan Gregor look like a bad actor.   (Probably a dumb metaphor)

green and co. Do not push this team.  We have a solid team, with proper guidance we should be dominating.   How would this team be if gallant was coaching?  Or AV was back coaching?  

our coaches and Jim Benning got early extensions when it wasn't deserved.  Unreal.  at least wait til the end of the season before handing out extentions like this to our coaching staff.

1 minute ago, VforVirtanen said:

Positives from this Game:

- if we drop from the playoffs we have a 1st round pick again

- we are headed back home where our record is miles better 

- the other teams around us have been sucking almost as bad as we have 

- even a single win could change the momentum of this team. 

sounds like a positive for all the other teams bro.  appreciate the positive vibe though, even though it's not working. 

• Haha 1