The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 1st pick 2020 / 2021

Rate this topic

grandmaster

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

If we end up missing the playoffs and keeping our pick there's still some hope for a decent player. Top 15 has a lot of talent. I wouldn't be disappointed with having our pick back, I would prefer the playoffs though. Missing our 2nd also hurts.

The loss of Madden sucks also

I would love to make the playoffs... but we are 2 points out of 11th in our conference and we are not dominating bubble teams.

Regardless of whether or not we make the playoffs, this year represents a massive improvement over last year. I do believe, with Marky, we win against Arizona, and Columbus, maybe TO... I think we would be a lock for the playoffs.

I liked the toffoli trade a lot, he is Miller-esque for us.

I think missing the playoffs is not terrible. We get a lottery pick and we could get yet another great piece for the team

Off season considerations are as follows in no particular order:

1. Re sign Marky

2. Re sign Toffoli - would look pretty bad if we miss playoffs and cannot re - sign this clear top 6 forward, I think 5.75-6 mill is reasonable

3. Trade Boesser for Dumba and maybe add salary and a sweetener going the other way

Ex: OJ + Boesser + Baertschi for Dumba and 2020 3rd

4. Move Sutter for whatever... a 4th rounder?

5. Get a great top 15 pick in the draft

6. Move Stecher- ? 2nd and 3rd?

7. Move on from Ericksson, either trade or just have Canucks waive him then have utica waive him to the echl

8 Sign Tryamkin

9. Sign Tanev to low cap hit and longer contract.

10. Do not fire JB

11. Give travis green 1 more year to see how he does.

12. I think Ferland retires, opening up 3.5 mill

Miller Petey Toff

Pearson Bo Virtanen/UFA

Roussel Gaudette Leivo

Motte Beagle Macewan

Hughes- Dumba

Edler-Myers

Tryamkin- Tanev

Benn

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

Canucks gave a conditional 1st to tampa so if canucks make playoffs tampa gets our first pick this year

Actually NJD get it

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:
3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we get lucky and win the draft lottery?  Lafreniere :wub:would look pretty good on Bo’s wing. 

the frenchman is a center not a winger

Nah, trade Horvat to New Jersey for 2 1rsts, use Miller, Pettersson and Gaudette as the top three centers and have 3 1rst round picks this year.:towel:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

We get our first if we miss.  So we do have a chance at Lafreniere.  It’s a really good draft too, so we are most likely going to get a very good prospect.  Keep Green, and he can drive the tank to a top five finish.  (That’s top five odds for the 2020 draft lottery). 

But we're going to hire Babs though

3 hours ago, goog16 said:

People need to get over it,tiny center who was not misplacing any of our centers.

if that’s the case why did we draft a center? Heck why would the canucks draft any center for the next 5 years?

the reason is you can predict why this roster is going to look like even a year from now. just because you view a player as expendable doesn’t mean it doesn’t become a need for this team a few years from now. 

If madden continues his progression he could very well replace one of our current centers or better yet he moves to wing as many players do when they reach the NHL. Its not like the canucks couldn’t use another skilled right handed shot in there system 

LA Kings have drafted 5 centers in first 2 rounds over the last 3 years and they still saw value in madden. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

But we're going to hire Babs though

Hire Babs after this season is over.  Let Green drive the tank for 16 more games.  Get a top 10 pick at the 2020 draft, then Babs leads us to the playoffs (and a cup run) in 2021.    :towel:

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

if that’s the case why did we draft a center? Heck why would the canucks draft any center for the next 5 years?

the reason is you can predict why this roster is going to look like even a year from now. just because you view a player as expendable doesn’t mean it doesn’t become a need for this team a few years from now. 

If madden continues his progression he could very well replace one of our current centers or better yet he moves to wing as many players do when they reach the NHL. Its not like the canucks couldn’t use another skilled right handed shot in there system 

LA Kings have drafted 5 centers in first 2 rounds over the last 3 years and they still saw value in madden. 

Can’t have enough grade A prospects (And first and second round picks) when a team is rebuilding.  Aquilini and Benning announced both in words and in actions (the Miller trade) our rebuild was over.  I think it’s too early.  

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh Alf, why do you do this to yourself? :lol::picard:

Other than driving my scooter along Granville and crushing some toes, and booze, what else is there but hope in our team?  We can do it!  :frantic:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can’t have enough grade A prospects (And first and second round picks) when a team is rebuilding.  Aquilini and Benning announced both in words and in actions (the Miller trade) our rebuild was over.  I think it’s too early.  

but - at some point you have to start building a winning culture too. We're seeing that a lot this year, but also some growing pains like the recent losing streak (which ironically is mostly due to some bad play by the older F veterans).

You can't build a team just via the draft, but getting that balance right between the draft and free agents that bring the right culture is very tough. But in Millers case, he's worth a 15-20 pick, hands down, every time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm hoping we make the playoffs, I'd take that over mid range pick. That being said, this slide has hurt our chances a lot.

We ain't winning a lottery pick, we're Canucks fans, let's be real. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 3

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

but - at some point you have to start building a winning culture too. We're seeing that a lot this year, but also some growing pains like the recent losing streak (which ironically is mostly due to some bad play by the older F veterans).

You can't build a team just via the draft, but getting that balance right between the draft and free agents that bring the right culture is very tough. But in Millers case, he's worth a 15-20 pick, hands down, every time. 

Miller is awesome, and JB bent over TBay in that deal.  However, when our young elite pair (Petey and Hughes) are mature and ready to compete at their best, where will Miller be?  JB used the assets to get Miller (and Tofu IMO) too early.  The timing would have been better in 2022.  Then start using assets (picks and prospects) to tweak the roster.  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller is awesome, and JB bent over TBay in that deal.  However, when our young elite pair (Petey and Hughes) are mature and ready to compete at their best, where will Miller be?  JB used the assets to get Miller (and Tofu IMO) too early.  The timing would have been better in 2022.  Then start using assets (picks and prospects) to tweak the roster.  

you mean next year? Petey and Hughes are already phenom's, you're basically talking about the difference between 80 and 100 pts. 

I dunno, I see this team being younger and harder to play against next year. We're going to add Tryamkin. We're going to be able to bring in cheaper but good D and F depth from Utica. We will be able to keep Marky and Toffoli. 

If Jim can convince Loui to retire, that really opens things up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you mean next year? Petey and Hughes are already phenom's, you're basically talking about the difference between 80 and 100 pts. 

I dunno, I see this team being younger and harder to play against next year. We're going to add Tryamkin. We're going to be able to bring in cheaper but good D and F depth from Utica. We will be able to keep Marky and Toffoli. 

If Jim can convince Loui to retire, that really opens things up. 

Okay, so we have good players, and two of them are very special.  (I agree). Then the issue has to be coaching.  Maybe JB wants Green to stealth tank, keeps his 2020 first, and improves on the coach this summer?  If that’s JB’s plan, I’m okay with that.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Okay, so we have good players, and two of them are very special.  (I agree). Then the issue has to be coaching.  Maybe JB wants Green to stealth tank, keeps his 2020 first, and improves on the coach this summer?  If that’s JB’s plan, I’m okay with that.  

I'm fine with a coaching change. I'm not on the hate Green train, but I don't think he's got all the answers either. If Gallant can bring this team to the next level I'm all for it. But tbh I'd be just as happy if they got rid of Baumer and Brown for more experienced bench guys.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1