The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Chris Tanev, Canucks want new contract

Tanev is very reliable defensively... but lets not forget that he's not going to get any better, and he is just going to be a depreciating asset.  

Unless he is really willing to take a low-ball offer to stay long term, it's not a bad idea to move on from him.

If he has a family and stuff and doesn't want to move.... then signing for a 2-3 year contract at max 3 million would be fair.  Worst case scenario he just moved down to Seattle, a 2 hour drive away.  

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Tanev is very reliable defensively... but lets not forget that he's not going to get any better, and he is just going to be a depreciating asset.  

Unless he is really willing to take a low-ball offer to stay long term, it's not a bad idea to move on from him.

If he has a family and stuff and doesn't want to move.... then signing for a 2-3 year contract at max 3 million would be fair.  Worst case scenario he just moved down to Seattle, a 2 hour drive away.  

First off, 2-3 years is not a long term deal. 
Second, do you think asking him to take 33% less a year is a reasonable ask?  Re-signing for the same dollar amount as his last contract is reasonable given the volatile environment.  Asking to play for 2/3rds of what he was making when he’s only 30 is over the top 

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

First off, 2-3 years is not a long term deal. 
Second, do you think asking him to take 33% less a year is a reasonable ask?  Re-signing for the same dollar amount as his last contract is reasonable given the volatile environment.  Asking to play for 2/3rds of what he was making when he’s only 30 is over the top 

Hence why it's fairer for him to find the most money available, even if it's not with the Canucks.  I never blame a player for chasing the big bucks.  Playing on a team or a city you like, trying to win the Stanley Cup.... sounds "honourable", but in the end it is just business.  If some team offers 5x5 to Tanev, I hope he takes the money and run.  

Would the Canucks be better if he remain?  Sure.  Can the Canucks afford fair market value for him?  Most likely no.  So it will either be one side giving in, or it's CT to explore his UFA options.  

5 minutes ago, hateleafs said:

Trade Marky for a late first. Recoup the first round pick solve cap and expansion draft issues. 3 birds one stone. Demko starts next season

How do we trade an unrestricted free agent? His rights aren't worth close to a first.

8 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Because Marky must also be signed!

There are other places to clear cap. Move Roussel, buyout or retain on Baer, move Benn etc.

Plus we have yet to see what mechanism(s) the league will use to adjust for covid. If there's a 'free' buyout (Eriksson) and/or an across the board percentage cut in salary etc, we're laughing. 

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, stawns said:

Letting non core UFA's walk is meaningless, I have no issues with that at all.  Tanev is a core player and if he's willing to be flexible, they should do what they need to to bring him back

At some point you have to make a hockey decisions that are always very tough to do??

I really like Tanev but 31 years old in December and with his past injury history and his beat up body signing Tanev is a big big risk...

Tanev would want 4.5 million at least?? Would never sign him to 4.5?  Only if there was a bonus clause..

Regular season 3.5 million if playing over 65 games - 1 million if healthy in playoffs...

I hope Benning moves away from UFA Tanev this summer and spends this money on other players..

I would trade from position which is wingers -----Miller - Taffoli - Boeser - Pearson - Virtanen - Ferland - Leivo - MacEwen - Motte -Podkolzin - Hoglander...

I would sign Taffoli 4 yrs X 4.9 million -- Solid 200 foot player --score 30-35 Goals--- Points 63 -68 points plays a 200 foot game with Petey....

Now Jim Benning can trade salary for salary and bring back a #2 D man like Risto in Buffalo , under 26, 6'4, logs - 22-24 minutes

Boeser  or Virtanen would bring back a #2 or #3 D man back.....Very important move this summer..

I am sorry but defence need a top 2 guy under 27 years old...

Centre is solid-- Pettersson 21 -- Horvat 24 - Gaudette 23

Hughes - Risto

Edler - Myers

Fantenberg --  ( Rafferty - makes 750,0000)

Stetcher RFA - might package in trade) will want  2.7 million X 4 yrs

Tryamkin ? Need to sign a deal that is cap friendly  2 yrs X 1.8 million show me more deal

Benn  32 - possible trade only 1 yr left at - 2 million

Tanev-- UFA 31 December - Time to move away and make trade for younger healthier  D man

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There are other places to clear cap. Move Roussel, buyout or retain on Baer, move Benn etc.

Plus we have yet to see what mechanism(s) the league will use to adjust for covid. If there's a 'free' buyout (Eriksson) and/or an across the board percentage cut in salary etc, we're laughing. 

Not easy to move Roussel or Baer?? ...Roussell will be fine, Leivo even better...

Buyouts #1 Erickson 2 yrs X 6 million  -- 2. Luonge 2 yrs X 3 million......

Talk about moves Jim Benning must trade for top #2 D man like Risto from Buffalo??

Sorry nobody in Utica can fill this role...Big weakness.. Trade a winger -- Boeser or Virtanen..

Only if Taffoli is resigned....

1 hour ago, hateleafs said:

Trade Marky for a late first. Recoup the first round pick solve cap and expansion draft issues. 3 birds one stone. Demko starts next season

Honestly I don’t think demko is ready as a starter

10 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Not easy to move Roussel or Baer?? ...Roussell will be fine, Leivo even better...

Buyouts #1 Erickson 2 yrs X 6 million  -- 2. Luonge 2 yrs X 3 million......

Talk about moves Jim Benning must trade for top #2 D man like Risto from Buffalo??

Sorry nobody in Utica can fill this role...Big weakness.. Trade a winger -- Boeser or Virtanen..

Only if Taffoli is resigned....

I don't think Roussel would be hard to move. At all. Especially if he has a good play in/offs (as I'm guessing he will).

Baer yes, hence why I said retention or just buy him out. Either saves about $1.6m.

If there's a buyout, yup, Eriksson is gone.

And yes, I'd entertain moving Virtanen, Stecher and a prospect for a young, top 4 RHD if something presents itself and we re-sign Toffoli.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, hateleafs said:

Right. Sign and trade? Didn’t consider that

I'm sure whatever contract Marky signs here will have some sort of NTC through the bulk of his contract, and probably less $ than if he went to UFA. He wants to be here, why would he agree to a sign and trade scenario, when he could get more $ in a UFA bidding war?

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

I'm sure whatever contract Marky signs here will have some sort of NTC through the bulk of his contract, and probably less $ than if he went to UFA. He wants to be here, why would he agree to a sign and trade scenario, when he could get more $ in a UFA bidding war?

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see how Benning plays this.  Hopefully we go on a long run for Toffoli to be worth it

4 hours ago, hateleafs said:

Right. Sign and trade? Didn’t consider that

This isn't NHL 20. Want any player to sign with us again at favorable terms and not have a no trade attached? There is a reason you never see teams sign and trade in the NHL. Didn't consider the consequences did you?

32 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

This isn't NHL 20. Want any player to sign with us again at favorable terms and not have a no trade attached? There is a reason you never see teams sign and trade in the NHL. Didn't consider the consequences did you?

No I didn’t.  I guess I’m just thinking business rather then what impact it might have. Trade Demko?

31 minutes ago, hateleafs said:

No I didn’t.  I guess I’m just thinking business rather then what impact it might have. Trade Demko?

I think the goalie situtation is the hardest decision to make moving forward. If they give us a buyout that we can use on Eriksson, and Markstrom is willing to take a 2 or 3 year deal then that is ideal. So many questions moving forward. What Markstrom will we see here on out? Is this an outlier year? Is it his breakout and he could be a top 5 goalie in the league for a few years? Easy to overpay him if we base his contract solely on this past year but also would hate to have him walk and become a legit top 5 guy. To complicate matters is the question mark of Demko. Is he ready to be a starter next year? Is he going to progress into his full potential and be a top guy? Or will be be Eddie Lack and peter out. Would hate to trade Demko and have him become Rask like with the Leafs, but would suck to let Markstrom go and Demko becomes a career backup or average starter. Hopefully we can make things work to see them both back for another full season and can make a decision next offseason with who to run with.