The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks exploring possibility of trading Brock Boeser

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

So would you trade Podkolzin+ for say Severson?

You realize that Dobson just turned 20 in January, was a recent #12 overall pick, and he is getting minutes on a pretty deep NYI defense which is a position that much more easily exposed, right? There are plenty of Calder nominees (and winners) that also do not amount to much. Not saying that Boeser is that, but that title doesn't mean much beyond the rookie season. Plenty of incredible players never come close to a Calder.

I'll give you that he is indeed a top 20 RW offensively, but defense (and centers) always have relatively higher values than wingers. You are comparing the players as of today ignoring potential. If that is true, then I would assume you would make that trade at the top of this post.

Severson is not that good

Dobson will be good, and has tremendous potential that is un-realized at this point (*He may never get there!) Brock has!

I mean, truthfully...do we actually know?

24 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Ummm let’s see one is in the latter half of his career with a single 55 point season under his belt . The other has two already would have hit 30 goals each year if not for unfortunate injuries and will get better

Also has a lot better hair .

Plus boeser is a better passer which his ability is extremely underrated .

That's a big part of the picture though........he's yet to play a full season, in fact he's yet to play 70 games in a season.........what makes you think future seasons are going to be much different?

Do you see him here in three years when Petey and QH are signing new deals?

• Wat 1

27 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Ummm let’s see one is in the latter half of his career with a single 55 point season under his belt . The other has two already would have hit 30 goals each year if not for unfortunate injuries and will get better . 

Also has a lot better hair .

Plus boeser is a better passer which his ability is extremely underrated .

I'll give you the hair, hockey hair doesn't get much better than Prince Charming.

I do think he's an above average playmaker which is a nice development and no one is denying his offensive gifts.  That's why he's a good trade candidate........the return for Brock would go much further to bolstering weaker parts of the lineup than any other move.  His value as an asset outweighs his value to the team, in my opinion.

Ultimately, for me, there's not enough in the rest of his game to warrant $7+m a year (if they even could) deal, so why not move him when his value is high and make your organization stronger and deeper?

3 hours ago, Squamfan said:

his wife has a full time job with the dodger and it pays good salary. Would she leave it for vancouver

There are $5million reasons and a global pandemic for reasons to leave California for BC. Plus his wifes salary as media personnel for the Dodgers is probably 80k? 100k max? Peanuts compared to what Toffoli brings in.

I think the best move is to let Tanev walk as much as that hurts our D. Re-sign Marky and Toffoli and you can SQUEEZE under the cap just barely if the numbers are right including all our recapture penalties, buyouts, buried contracts and Loui being on the team. It’s time we finally let someone like Juolevi show what he’s worth seeing as he’s a former 5th overall pick, if not you have other guys who can step in.

I look at it like this, in 2 years which 3/4 would you rather have? I would much rather have a Toffoli, Marky and Boeser over Tanev. Keeping Boeser with the group during his prime is critical for future cup runs vs. Trading him now and salvaging someone like Tanev + cap space. By the 22/23 season you have approx 35M+ coming of the books. Not only is Loui’s contract up but so is Sutter, Roussel, Pearson, Beagle, Baertschi, Spooner, Edler, and Luongo. If you take into account a slight increase that might occur by that season you’re looking at a solid core with cap space to make moves even after re-signing Hughes and Petey to their extensions. This means PRIME petey, bo, Boeser, Hughes, Demko, for the length of our competitive years. Just imagine a team like

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli

Podkolzin - Horvat - Boeser

Hoglander - Gaudette - Virtanen

MacEwen - XXX - Ferland

XXX, XXX

Hughes - *UFA

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Rathbone - Myers

Rafferty/Woo

Markstrom

Demko

I think it’s important that management doesn’t lose sight of what’s gonna be beneficial for the future and that’s keeping Boeser on this team. We just gotta stay pat for these next two years until the contracts expire and hope that the team improves internally through individual players improving as well.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Lmao what strain are you smoking ? Boeser is definitely a superior player .

Toffoli is more durable and when played with Miller and either of Horvat or Pettersson, the line is so deadly that the game slows down drastically.

Love Boeser. But he is oft injured in his young career.

If a major young D reinforcement asset comes in, that’s just great asset management and that’s how a GM keeps his job and wins a Cup.

The only reason why people would be against that move is emotion.

If in the grand scheme of things it comes down to having a Cup or keeping Boeser because of fanaticism, I will always take having a Cup.

And if the Canucks so have enriched themselves through the draft as to be  comfortable making such a move, it surely tells of an actual quest for a Cup.

if Toffoli signs for five years, the Canucks win any day. 

Pettersson has changed the entire construct of this team. And with Captain Horvat really making it his team this year, priorities have changed.

The Toffoli trade was absolutely masterful. They read what they needed and went and fished out another Miller. That’s what Cups are made of.

If a Cup costs Boeser, so be it.

I will cheer for “insert name here” T2D/ T4D any day.

AND Markstrom.

AND Tanev.

AND Toffoli.

It’s the right move forward.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

It is a reasonable position, and one that I have been saying for months that should be explored.

If Toffoli is interested in signing with us, we could replace Boeser’s production in the top 6.

Obviously if it is a straight up choice between Toffoli and Boeser, you pick Boeser all day long.  It isn’t that simple though.  Not signing Toffoli doesn’t get you anything back.  Signing him and trading Boeser gets you back a really good haul.  Presumably a top 4D and maybe even a cap dump.

We also have to consider that Boeser has a $7.5 million qualifying offer due to him soon and his goal scoring production has gone down instead of up over his first few years.  He is a great player, bit we also don’t have infinite cap space.

If we did the same thing with Virtanen and Demko we could have a ton of cap space available.  We can use that for more Miller type deals down the road.

Yes I have been saying the same thing? You trade from strongest position for the weakest position..We need a top #2 D man and that will cost us and be well worth it...A Ristro, 6'4, 25,- 25 minutes - 45 points - playing beside Hughes for the next 5 yrs would be so exciting...Have to trade Boeser for this deal..Only make this deal if we can resign Taffoli.... 

Forgot about his 7.5 million Dollar next deal? Can't afford Boeser in 3 yrs..

Petey 8.9  mil   and Hughes 7 million will need to be paid big....

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Severson is not that good

Dobson will be good, and has tremendous potential that is un-realized at this point (*He may never get there!) Brock has!

I mean, truthfully...do we actually know?

22+ minute dman that plays in all situations and is a 35-40 point dman on a team with a pretty anemic offense (and is signed for 4 more years at only 4.1 million which is a great contract for any top 4 RD). He's not a #1 dman, but he's been their de facto #1, sort of like Edler has been for us for the majority of his career. His +/- doesn't look great, but that could be a reflection of the team he's on and the reliance on him facing top opposition nightly (Edler's +/- dipped during our poor years). Very similar to Ristolainen (for those who think he's a "pylon" or "sucks').

Podkolzin may also never reach his potential, so I take it you would make the trade and add to it as well to get a more proven player?

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2020 at 5:25 PM, Squamfan said:

Thanks Jimbo!!!!!!!!!

Beagle, Erikkson, Sutter, Bartschi, Rousell are really worth it. They are so much better then Brock

Fire this clown

Ferland too? If Brocks traded he will turn into Cam Neely 2.0 just watch 

14 minutes ago, Me_ said:

One on one and regardless of salary:

What defensemen is Boeser worth?

Straight up?  What about Ryan Pulock from the Isles?  Right handed, big body, leadership, puts up points and plays well in his own end.  He'd be a great fit for Van and Boes would do well with Barzal

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Straight up?  What about Ryan Pulock from the Isles?  Right handed, big body, leadership, puts up points and plays well in his own end.  He'd be a great fit for Van and Boes would do well with Barzal

And Boeser goes and puts up 90 points with the Isles the following season.

Then we never here the end of it from Canucks fans.

No thanks.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No thanks.

So do Miller, Toffoli, Horvat, Pettersson...

We’d be fine.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

No thanks.

If Pulock continues to grow and develop he could easily be the Edler going forward.  Is there anything wrong with both sides winning in a trade?

I'd say Pulock is far more of a sure thing than BB is

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No thanks.

Edler Pulock

Hughes Tanev

Tree Myers

Stetch, OJ, Breezer

You don't think that looks good?

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No thanks.

And what if we win a Cup the next season with a better balanced lineup? Oh wait, who am I kidding, you're right, some fans would still continue to never let it go.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

And what if we win a Cup the next season with a better balanced lineup? Oh wait, who am I kidding, you're right, some fans would still continue to never let it go.

#neverletitgo

Edited by Me_

IMO we shouldn't be trading a potential 30-40 goal scorer. Brock with Bo and a decent playmaker in Sven did really well two seasons ago. Imagine the two of them with Podkolzin -- and that would be our second line behind the trio of Miller, Pettersson, and Toffoli. Let others be cap casualties/traded for comparable defensemen. 

Edited by Blömqvist