The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 02, 2020 | Wild lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Up to the pkers to not allow the shots though.

We need as much offense as possible either way with how hard it is to score.

If we’re filling the roster with shutdown guys to counter a team without much offense something is wrong.

Look at the conversion rates for the wild forwards this season though. They are not a high scoring team but their forward corp actually all except 1 are above 50 for the season. They are an effective group

8 minutes ago, rotiman187 said:

Lol at people blaming markstrom. How do you expect to win the game when you cant even score a goal. 

I think he had a couple of big saves in the first. I'm sure he would like the first goal back. The second one was a bit odd. He expected Edler to take away the bottom of the net but the shot got through. 

Overall, not a bad playoff debut. There must have been some jitters going around.

Too many puck battles lost and way too many missed passes....

Lot's of players being called out for poor games, but top of the list for me was Toffoli.....best Claude Rains impression I've seen in a while.....

Also, why am I not surprised at all the coaching experts who always seem to show up after a loss? :rolleyes:

• Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Jesus your hate for Boeser is pathetic at best.

I don't hate him and said, Ina few posts, his skating was very good and looked quicker last night.  Doesn't mean what I've said all along doesn't still apply or isn't true.  Putting him with Petey isn't going to do anything offensively against that top 4 and will be a disaster defensively.

18 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Zac and Jake and Ferkland need to each be on a line, I would like to see some lines shook up big time. 

Ferland Petey Boeser

Miller Bo Jake 
Pearson Gaudette Toffoli 

Motte Beagle Zac 

Personally, I think this is more of a knee jerk, o e extreme to another lineup suggestion 

Nothing is as good as it seems, and nothing is as bad as it seems. Even keel, and make changes on purpose for a purpose. 

I do think having more purpose driven lines, with like players together would make sense. As an example Motte and beags have been a spark plug line when rous joined them, but had their energy sapped with Sutter there. This is what I think would be the best lineup for next game 

Miller - petey - boes 

Pears - bo - toffoli 

Ferk - gaud - virt 

Rous - beag - Motte 

First line hi Rev, second and third take it to the net and overwhelm, 4th spark plug 

Imo 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Up to the pkers to not allow the shots though.

We need as much offense as possible either way with how hard it is to score.

If we’re filling the roster with shutdown guys to counter a team without much offense something is wrong.

From 1 November onwards the Wild were the 2nd highest scoring team in the league in goals for per game.  They were the 3rd lowest in October.   Even over the full season they were the 6th highest scoring team at 5v5.  Canucks are 17th at 5v5.

October is not reflective of their team.  They had several issues to work through before they could start doing anything and their younger players had to progress.  Fiala for example was a healthy scratch a few times in October and only had 1 assist in 8 games.  He's now leading their team in scoring and is turning into the game breaker Fenton described.

Their team changed a lot over this season.  Same players (save Zucker/Galchenyuk) but roles and responsibilities/usage is very different from the first half of the season.  Even their PP is different.  I would think that Green put more emphasis on the 2nd half.

3 minutes ago, VaNux said:

Personally, I think this is more of a knee jerk, o e extreme to another lineup suggestion 

Nothing is as good as it seems, and nothing is as bad as it seems. Even keel, and make changes on purpose for a purpose. 

I do think having more purpose driven lines, with like players together would make sense. As an example Motte and beags have been a spark plug line when rous joined them, but had their energy sapped with Sutter there. This is what I think would be the best lineup for next game 

Miller - petey - boes 

Pears - bo - toffoli 

Ferk - gaud - virt 

Rous - beag - Motte 

First line hi Rev, second and third take it to the net and overwhelm, 4th spark plug 

Imo 

Ferland Petey Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Gaudette Miller Virtanen

Sutter Beagle Motte

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Too many puck battles lost and way too many missed passes....

Lot's of players being called out for poor games, but top of the list for me was Toffoli.....best Claude Rains impression I've seen in a while.....

Also, why am I not surprised at all the coaching experts who always seem to show up after a loss? :rolleyes:

Yup, TT wasn't good

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't hate him and said, Ina few posts, his skating was very good and looked quicker last night.  Doesn't mean what I've said all along doesn't still apply or isn't true.  Putting him with Petey isn't going to do anything offensively against that top 4 and will be a disaster defensively.

they tried Jake with Petey and Miller and that ended up not working so where would you put Boeser?

24 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He sucks and is a turnover machine according to some. And doesn’t work with and drags Petey down. Despite Petey winning the Calder with Boeser on his wing

I was huge fan Alexander Mogilny.  Since his Buffalo days.. He was amongst my favourite  players..

Boeser is the closest type of player I've seen comparable to Mogilny. 

23 yr old kid.  At 25 to 30 yrs he'll be a dominant scorer in the league.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Stalock had an easy night. Nobody was giving him real trouble save for Bo and maybe Ferland at times. Marky was good not great. We shouldn't have to rely on him being amazing all the time though.

Should have Mac and Virtanen in the game. Ferland was trying to lead physically but there was no one to lead in the bottom 6.

I would take out Sutter and Rousell. I would play Bo's line more defensively. Just have the 4th line made up of PKers and defenders. Yeah 3rd line might be shaky defensively but we need players that can play behind the hash marks/around the net well and that can feed off of Ferland or create energy themselves. Lean heavy on top 9. Might want to consider throwing out one of Ferland/Virtanen in the top 6 and drop Pearson down. Could use more speed.

The difference was us not being enough of a nuisance around the net. If we create more chaos in front of Stalock it will open up the ice for the skilled guys and  create chaos when shots get through. Chaos leads to Wild D making mistakes which lead to PPs and goals.

TL;DR: Play Virtanen/Mac and emphasize net front presence and the offense will come.

I would add: consider taking 2 D out or one at least and putting in Juolevi or Rafferty or both.  Edler and Myers were awful, sit them. (They took critical penalties and generally were walked all over by forecheckers.) With Virt and Mac in, together with quicker, new D: we should do better at breaking through the Minnesota's system of filling up the middle of the ice.

In the long run: the rebuild is not even close to being over, someone has to tell Benning this. It was add-on vet players and our own vets like Edler that killed us. Would have been better off saving the money and playing Rafferty, Juolevi, and Big Mac.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

24 minutes ago, shazzam said:

that really should have been a in game adjustment

Exactly. I'd love to see Dumba or Staal cross check Petey and shove him into the ground over and over with Ferland there.

Great way to get your face pounded in. 

Green wants a tough team but puts them all on one line so that line is ineffective and gets penalty after penalty. 

He wants the good players to get to the net but won't arm them with the weapons to get there. 

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

How about the other lines worry about defense

We lost 2-0 with a total of 4 shots in the 3rd period!

Our top line isn't there for defense, it is there to score fricken goals.

I say, Reunite the 6/40/9 line and watch the Wild scramble

• Cheers 1