The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 04, 2020 | Series tied 1-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

yep pretty poor first half of the game to be honest - but the drop pass to entry on the PP was just brutal 

It works well at times, especially with explosive skaters, but yeah if you do it constantly it becomes predictable.

They should switch the entries up and keep them guessing. 

30 minutes ago, Darius said:

What I don’t get is people thinking Toffoli makes boeser expendable.  Like a big contract given to Toffoli won’t include some downturn years in his 30s.  Boeser had a tough year with injuries and his home situation.  This kid is gonna keep getting better.  

Other way around.  I would be pissed of they tried to replace Boeser with toffoli.  It's not even close IMO.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The first Fiala goal, Edler gets knocked down before the pick arrives, technically should've been interference. From then, Horvat is drawn to Staal, so either Horvat shouldn't have been so aggressive (I believe it was 6 on 5 at that point) or Pearson should've came down and covered Fiala. Either way, Fiala had a wide look near the slot and took an almost perfect shot that most goalies would not be able to handle (there's a reason why he has like 17 goals in his last 20 games).

The second goal was another bang bang play and he shoots it post and in while Marky was being massively screened. We needed someone to clear the screen or not let someone like Fiala be so open to take those shots.

How you can pin those solely on Marky is beyond me. Marky played well.

First one the play before was fine, the shot was one of those that just cannot he stopped even on Markstroms near side.

the second one, while shot well, to much of the net was left showing, so while I wouldn’t necessarily say it was goalie error, more he was out of position and as such didn’t give himself a chance 

54 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Fiala is right up in Markstrom’s kitchen, and making a mess.   He has Markys number.   
Marky is back to his old ways of letting in at least 1 bad goal a game.  

Petterson is showing he won’t take being pushed around and I love it.   
It’s a great change from the ‘let’s bend over and hope to get them back on the power play’ that we used to have to watch from the previous Swedish regime.  

Bo was OK.    I’m still waiting for that big game changer from him.   

Myers.   Wtf dude?  3 penalties is a no no. 

Lol, He did get a nice tip in goal. But he's also a bit too confident in his own abilities. Several times, he tries to drive in alone and gets snuffed right at the blueline.

Or those blind back passes on the PP to no one... Looks fancy, but he's not even connecting those passes.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It works well at times, especially with explosive skaters, but yeah if you do it constantly it becomes predictable.

They should switch the entries up and keep them guessing. 

Problem was it was drop pass at the blue line back to the player who then tried to skate it in.

if you are drop passing it for entry it needs to barely go backwards and the player needs to already be steaming in

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Assuming Toff & Ferland are out next game.

Lotto Line

Pearson / Horvat / Loui

Rous / Gaud / Jake

Motte / Beagle / Sutter

If Rous and or Gaudette are out I guess that opens the door for MacEwen to get in.

Green said that Gaudette was "unfit to play" tonight so might mean he is also injured.

But even if he drew back in, Sutter is a better centre than Gaudette.  Gauds looked mainly a deer caught in the headlights in game 1, I'd expect him to play wing if/when he gets back into the lineup for the play in series.

31 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Considering after 1-2 years when they make the team they will roughly need another 2-4 years to reach their max potential...

Yeah I would like to re-sign Tofu. 4-5 years nets him till he's 32/33 and gives the youngsters enough time to reach their potentials, if they do.

I'd rather re-sign Tanev. He's someone who's actually been here all year and played a major role in us being in a position to play in the play-ins. Toffoli is much easier to replace and Boeser looked right at home, which isn't a surprise considering the Lotto line was one of the best in the league. 

Just now, UKNuck96 said:

First one the play before was fine, the shot was one of those that just cannot he stopped even on Markstroms near side.

the second one, while shot well, to much of the net was left showing, so while I wouldn’t necessarily say it was goalie error, more he was out of position and as such didn’t give himself a chance 

I don't think allowing a player that wide open (and Fiala of all players) near the slot is fine. I get that it's hard to play out every play perfectly, but that was the breakdown. But yes that was a wicked shot that wouldn't given the best goalies a tough time.

I'd give credit to Staal for screening him well on that play not allowing him to be set on the second goal. Yes he was out of position, but it was still a post and in shot as well. So to me, credit goes to their players on the goalie rather than Marky looking bad on it IMO.

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It's 2020 and the Canucks won a 'playoff' game with Loui Eriksson playing 20 mins.

What a year...

He’s not a bad player, it’s just a bad cap hit for what he brings. I’ve got nothing against the guy just not the best use of cap space 

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Green said that Gaudette was "unfit to play" tonight so might mean he is also injured.

But even if he drew back in, Sutter is a better centre than Gaudette.  Gauds looked mainly a deer caught in the headlights in game 1, I'd expect him to play wing if/when he gets back into the lineup for the play in series.

Ya I could see it. Or I could see Green rotating Gaud/Sutter depending on faceoffs & game context.

Gaud does give you more upside than Sutter, no doubt he'd be on the 2nd PP if he draws in.

9 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

He was flying out there and did play with some sort of edge as he won a few puck battles. And also, playing 8 minutes..hard to get super engaged and be noticed.

I watched the game, barely noticed Jake aside from the back check on that one scoring chance. I didn't see him throw a check, he didn't get in a scrum, face wash anybody, he looked disengaged to me. He is one of our bigger players, our smaller guys are getting battered every play, and Jake did nothing. If you play only eight minutes, they should be meaningful minutes. When Mac was playing limited minutes he found a way to do something memorable, throw a hit, get in a scrum, make his presence felt. Even Myers was engaged, he took a couple of penalties, but he got some licks in.

Edited by canuckleheads fan

Just now, UKNuck96 said:

He’s not a bad player, it’s just a bad cap hit for what he brings. I’ve got nothing against the guy just not the best use of cap space 

I don't have anything against him either. Now that there's no expectation of offense from him he's actually alot of fun to cheer for. 

Just who thought he'd be such a big piece in this teams biggest game in 5 years.

• Cheers 1