The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Phase 2] NHL Draft Lottery for 1st overall to occur Monday 3 p.m. PT

Rate this topic

EP40.

6 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I just hope that the whole process is transparent for a change.  Show the draw live.  Don't just reveal cards.

Every team has an equal chance so there is no reason to not just put 8 balls in the machine and draw 1.

Watch Pens win it, just like that last draft lottery. Somehow they have to get a superstar every 12 years.

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If Toronto wins it they should trade Matthews and Nylander. That would net them a lot. Build around Laf/Marner/Tavares and whatever you get from Matthews(like a young top 4 D man)

If EDM wins I would trade down or trade the pick entirely. They could use more help now.

Matthews to Arizona for OEL and Keller might be a possibility. Arizona gets their superstar and local kid they could market while Leafs get a great top 4 D and a top 6 forward.

That would also solve their cap problems while making their team deeper.

34 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

If Edmonton does win it, that will be really bad. McDavid, Draisaitl, Laferenier, RNH, Yamamoto would be really lethal especially if Holland adds another top 6 on top of that. I mean it will get to a point where they will make the playoffs just by sheer of talent. Hopefully another team like the Wild win this and not Oilers again.

And within a few years they will have to blow the team up as the cap would bite hard 

On 8/8/2020 at 11:15 AM, aGENT said:

Of all those teams, I'd hope for either Nashville or Minnesota to win Laff.

Pretty much same two (Nashville and Minnesota) for me.

Nashville, I just have no bad feelings about the team or their fans. Wish them luck.

Minnesota, I have some recent hate, from the series just played, but otherwise, I generally wish them well, and I respect Minnesota’s hockey history and culture. Wouldn’t mind seeing Lafreniere end up in the State of Hockey.

You can add Florida to those two, just because of the geographical distance from Vancouver, and the fact that team has really struggled over the years, so I wouldn’t mind seeing them improve (even though they’ve had plenty of high picks already).

Rangers next. Eastern team, so at least they’re far away. I still generally hate on the Rags, just on principle, but wouldn’t really care about them getting Lafreniere. And would rather they were a good team than a bad team, so don’t mind seeing them improve.

Then Toronto. I know, controversial choice, but I actually want to see the Leafs become a really good team. I still hate them, of course, but I think hockey would be more fun if Toronto was a powerhouse, and if/when the Canucks next get back to the Cup Final, there’s a decent chance it’s against the Leafs. That would be an epic series. Getting Lafreniere would allow the Leafs to trade one of their high salary star wingers, grab a bunch of assets, and have the cap space and trade chips to shore up their defence. All while plugging in an elite winger into their top six, on an ELC salary. I think Lafreniere could be franchise changing for Toronto, and I want the Leafs as a “worthy adversary” for what will hopefully be an all Canadian Stanley Cup showdown one day.

After those five, it starts to get dicey.

Winnipeg. I know lots of people like the Jets. I hate them. Don’t care about the Canadian team thing. Never have. I hate that they came back into the league and we had to fold up shop and lose our excellent AHL affiliate in the Moose, and then go through the dark days with the Chicago Wolves and years of wasted development of our prospects. Maybe it’s not fair to blame the Jets for all that, but I don’t care, I still do. I also hate them for jumping up and getting Laine, and help force us down two spots, and taking Juolevi. I just blame the Jets. It’s irrational, but I don’t care. I decided I’d hate them years ago and I’m sticking to my guns. ;) 

Edmonton. Sorry Oilers, you guys have the best player in the world, plus the reigning scoring champ in Draisaitl, have won the lottery too many times to count, and just have had too many high picks already. I don’t care that your management has been a train wreck and you’ve squandered most of that good fortune over the past decade. Edmonton just doesn’t deserve another #1 pick, and won’t for probably another 50 years or so.

Pittsburgh. No, just no. Lemieux, Crosby, Lafreniere? Nope. Sorry, just doesn’t sit well. Penguins have already had more than enough top draft picks. And it’s not that long ago that they won the Cup. I’m not interested in gifting the Pens a chance at a last dance with their current core, injected with new talent in Lafreniere. Nor am I interested in seeing their lineup getting restocked and rebuilt before Crosby and Malkin are even out the door. The current core needs to age out and retire, and the Pens need to “turtle derby” for a few years at the bottom of the league, and then they can talk about winning another first overall pick.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

And within a few years they will have to blow the team up as the cap would bite hard 

True, but that would be 3 years down the road because they would have a superstar on an ELC which bodes well for them in the short term. But they will trade Draisaitl to get couple of top 6 players and prospects if they ended up with 3 superstars. Usually the cap limits teams to 2 superstar contracts.

Even with all the talk about Lafreniere, and lengthy hand-wringing posts like mine above, I actually think there’s a decent chance that #1 overall doesn’t end up getting the best player in this draft. 

I would not be the least bit surprised if Byfield eventually becomes a top-5 centre in the NHL and considered to be the best player drafted in 2020.

Similar for Marco Rossi, who could easily prove to be the Elias Pettersson of this draft. 

Or Stützle going #3 and becoming the Draisaitl of the 2020 draft.

I’d still pick Lafreniere first overall, but I’m not sure he’s clearly fated to be the best player. Certainly I’d give him the best odds, but they are well below 50/50. If betting on the best player of the 2020 draft, I’d definitely take “the field” over first overall, and I expect that in five years time, somebody taken later than Lafreniere will be the consensus best player of the 2020 Draft.

I can't believe how many ppl think Leafs will trade Mathews or someone thinks Oilers would trade Draisitl.. 

Thats like Leafs fans or Oilers fans saying we will trade Pettersson or Quinn Hughes because of Cap issues to be able to keep/re sign guys like Virtanen Toffoli or Marky Tanev..

Completely unrealistic.  Silly really or maybe wishful thinking. 

Draisitl signed 5 more years at 8.5 mill is a steal of a contract for the league's leading scorer.

Art Ross trophy winner and finalist for Hart and Ted Lindsay.... That's MVP voted by media and MVP voted by fellow players. 

Mathews is a 6'3 220lbs powerful 1C 50 goal 100 Pts player. Best player in the series vs CBJ for either team. 

I know there are a few days to go before next Canucks game and we have time to kill but lets not get too silly. 

• Huggy Bear 1

27 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I can't believe how many ppl think Leafs will trade Mathews

I haven’t seen much of that discussed, but I agree with you, there’s no way the Leafs trade Matthews.

However, if they end up getting Lafreniere, I could see Toronto trading Nylander, or possibly even moving Marner, if the right kind of deal could be made.

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I haven’t seen much of that discussed, but I agree with you, there’s no way the Leafs trade Matthews.

However, if they end up getting Lafreniere, I could see Toronto trading Nylander, or possibly even moving Marner, if the right kind of deal could be made.

Lots of people have said that. It's like some Canucks fans don't know hockey or its just wishful thinking because they hate the Leafs. 

And Nylander is pretty much gone. That's what I've been saying.  Marner I think is the only one out of top 3 imo has chance of being moved but not this summer. 

Nylander and his 7 mill cap out . Defense in as part of Nylander trade and/or use his cap on UFA Dman. 

Barrie will be gone as UFA and his cap will be used on more rugged bigger tougher to play against Dman. 

And I think 1 or 2 other forwards will go for more rugged physical forward or two. 

40 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I can't believe how many ppl think Leafs will trade Mathew

The idea is to make a hockey trade for a defenseman or two though.  They need to trade at least one of their high-priced forwards, and he would easily get the best return.  Trading him somewhere like Anaheim for say Zegras, Manson, and picks would clear up enough space to make a legit offer for Pietrangelo.  That instantly brings their defense into respectability.

I think Nashville lowkey need him. Outside of Josi (and some of my favourites, like Arvidsson) they're actually a pretty crappy team. I knew the Yotes were gonna oust them.

Florida needs him too, but I don't think they deserve him because they have been such a joke of an organization. Cheap and pathetic.

21 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I think Nashville lowkey need him. Outside of Josi (and some of my favourites, like Arvidsson) they're actually a pretty crappy team. I knew the Yotes were gonna oust them.

Florida needs him too, but I don't think they deserve him because they have been such a joke of an organization. Cheap and pathetic.

Nashville fans are awesome too.  I don't wanna see Laf save the franchise in Florida and prevent them from moving to somewhere like Quebec.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Nashville fans are awesome too.  I don't wanna see Laf save the franchise in Florida and prevent them from moving to somewhere like Quebec.

Lol i don't see anyone able to save that franchise. Would rather have him go there and then play in Quebec City within the decade.