The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 14, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not really sure how you can speak on their behalf.

A challenge is one thing...they are up for that.  But a fair shake is also part of that and if they're working hard and meeting the challenge, don't handicap them.  

My deal is this...sort of like a comment I heard about Fanta recently.  If you don't notice him, he's doing his job (right).  The same applies to the refs.

Sometimes I feel like they secretly wish they were part of the game rather than officiating it.

They are still pissed off that their names were removed from the backs of their jerseys 

1 minute ago, Silky mitts said:

Man a day later and still hyped up. That was such a defining win for our team with all the garbage calls going against us. This team is TENACIOUS 

Yes. 

Honestly all this reffing discussion took away from a huge win. So proud of how our guys beat a really good team playing desperate hockey along with a terribly reffed game. 

I hope we go into game 3 fully confident as they shkuld now realize how awesome of a team we are. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redhdlois said:

He already did in the Minny series when Petey and Quinn were constantly getting cheap shots

Last week, on a drive to golf, I listened to Brian Burke on 650.  He said that after every playoff game the GMs either have a meeting or fone call with the refs for that game, with the referees' supervisor sitting in.  My guess is that was what Green referred to with his "didn't get an explanation" comment

It’s interesting how the hockey gods bring mouthy goalies to Earth

how has Murray performed since his “lucky goals comment”?

how has Binnington performed since his racist and Calder cup comments?

karma is bee-otch 

meanwhile a class guy guy like a Marky is the first to admit when he didn’t perform as he felt he should have 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, stawns said:

No ref is going to intentionally not call a high stick.

What about the high stick to the face of McEwen before the face-off?

Everybody saw that, including both referees and both linesmen.

Or do you also think none of the officials saw Roussel take one in the nads?

Everybody saw that too.

(Not a high stick, but still an obvious foul that was not called.)

And earlier, Roussel got a penalty for a slash that nobody saw because he didn't even slash the guy!

Your position that, because you used to play defense, and think you blame yourself, NHL playoff officiating is fine, you are wrong; it is totally biased.

We got called for all kinds of light and usually-not-called stuff and did not get away with much of anything.

(I recall an Edler trip when Edler was already down that he got away with, and a couple of glancing but not dangerous high sticks by players of both teams.)

There were hardly any calls on St.Lou no matter what they did, if the infractions were light or down right dangerous and even resulting in injury.

The refs should not be biased towards last year's cup winner; but then, they should not be biased at all.

We won.  But it was in spite of the biased refereeing. 

5 hours ago, tas said:

corey hirsch was very apt in the pregame yesterday when talking about officiating and how the whistles get put away in the playoffs: the stanley cup is the only championship that makes you earn it. it's a battle of wills. the players don't even get paid for the playoffs -- it's about who wants it more. whether it's right or wrong, you can debate it all day, but it's the way it is, and I personally don't have a problem with it and I really don't think the players do, either. 

Which would be fine if the whistle did go away..consistently. Instead we get weak slash calls and a double minor after a non boarding call.  Call it all or call nothing but at least be consistent. Last night's game wasn't that. 

The refs did an incredibly poor job last night in setting a consistent standard and do so on a frequent basis.  It's a tough gig but I don't think it's wrong for fans to just want consistent calls.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1