The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 14, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Exactly.  I'm glad Beagle jumped in and, bad penalty aside, he stood up and fed the guy who hit Sutter.
With this awful reffing the pack mentality is definitely needed. 

100%. Pavel's elbow settled the odd score. 

Edited by Chris12345

I have read the comments about reffing 

here is the bottom line issue, a ref MUST call the infractions he sees in the first period the same as he would if the game was in triple OT. Let them go in both or call them in both.

if that does not happen, players (and fans) will be pissed off because it becomes a guessing game 

its the “game management” that is maddening 

that said all we can hope for is that the law averages swings in our favour 

• Cheers 2

With regards the Sutter hit to the numbers, anyone that thinks he was not impacted just needs to look at his reaction after, he could barely fight anyone off and just fell to the ice 

it was a cheap shot and anybody that knows anything about hockey knows that a hit to the numbers is an infraction .... at any level . The Blues media crew even agreed 

its that type of inconsistency that infuriates people and with good reason 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Y'know, whatever happens is all gravy now. The Canucks weren't supposed to make the playoffs, but they did. They had to give away the 1st this year to NJ, but NJ never got a Top 5 pick, so Canucks fans don't have to cry over the Devils getting Lafreniere. Thankfully, that crazy good player will be playing in the east, against TOR. :)

Even if there are twists and turns and unfair reffing etc., and even if the Canucks bow out at some point, this will all be a huge success for these young Canucks. They now have a good idea of what it takes. It's taken Bo years to develop into the player he is. Imagine Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes at 25. Along with Podkolzin, Hoglander, Focht, Rathbone and Woo... this team is set up for years to be very good. The ride is just beginning.  

I am cheering for Cole Lind to make the Canucks in the near future.

43 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

It’s interesting how the hockey gods bring mouthy goalies to Earth

how has Murray performed since his “lucky goals comment”?

how has Binnington performed since his racist and Calder cup comments?

karma is bee-otch 

meanwhile a class guy guy like a Marky is the first to admit when he didn’t perform as he felt he should have 

Meh. Karma picks it's spots....

Tim Thomas is a world class dickwad and things worked out pretty well for him.....Now name me two classier guys than Hank and Dan.....

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, lmm said:

if we make it to the final and are playing Montreal.... maaaaaaaybe we get a few calls

Likely, if were Van and Mon in the final, the NHL would let the best team win the first game then make it a sweep to get that S&(^*show over with.

I can see the 3rd period penalties against us already in that series, MTL always gets gifted them against us. You can set your watch to it. 

But lets not get ahead of ourselves :lol: wins get harder and harder from this point on. STL is going to play even nastier than they have and I bet some of those bottom 6 guys will push things as far as they can and have no problem going over the line. I mean why not after last game? boarding doesn't seem to exist in this series. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

What about the high stick to the face of McEwen before the face-off?

Everybody saw that, including both referees and both linesmen.

Or do you also think none of the officials saw Roussel take one in the nads?

Everybody saw that too.

(Not a high stick, but still an obvious foul that was not called.)

And earlier, Roussel got a penalty for a slash that nobody saw because he didn't even slash the guy!

Your position that, because you used to play defense, and think you blame yourself, NHL playoff officiating is fine, you are wrong; it is totally biased.

We got called for all kinds of light and usually-not-called stuff and did not get away with much of anything.

(I recall an Edler trip when Edler was already down that he got away with, and a couple of glancing but not dangerous high sticks by players of both teams.)

There were hardly any calls on St.Lou no matter what they did, if the infractions were light or down right dangerous and even resulting in injury.

The refs should not be biased towards last year's cup winner; but then, they should not be biased at all.

We won.  But it was in spite of the biased refereeing. 

This. 

Here's a comparison with baseball that shows how bad things are in hockey.  In baseball, umpires call balls and strikes:  people argue over the strike zone and sometimes get thrown out of the game for doing so, but umpires never stop calling balls and strikes, and the culture of the game would never allow them to do that.  In hockey, not only is there the subjective element of deciding whether or not an infraction has occurred (similar to calling a ball or a strike) but indeterminacy about that spreads into whether refs should be making calls at all under certain circumstances (post-season, overtime, when one team's power-play is especially effective, or they are ahead in a game or series, etc.).  At that point, rule enforcement drifts into game management in the worst sense, and referees cease to perform their basic function of calling balls and strikes.  This is how they can see an egregious foul and do nothing about it:  the equivalent of calling a belt-high fastball down the middle of the plate a ball.  This rarely happens in baseball but is pretty common in hockey.  It's deeply effed up but totally changeable to the extent that changing any culture is possible.  That's where the problem lies and it's on display not only from the refs but all the idiot commentators like Ron McLean who pronounce on this stuff.  Of course coaches, management and players have to shut up about it because every game is potentially a hostage-exchange situation.

Edited by Maniwaki Canuck
dropped word
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Myers has the unfortunate distinction of being head and shoulders abover everyone else.  Tallplayers always get called more, always have and always will.  He knows that and needs to be more disciplined.

I don't think you gte how fast things happen at ice level.  Refs don't have the luxury of replay and slow motion.  No ref is going to intentionally not call a high stick.

Yup, I'm sure this wasn't on purpose.  Bottom line is the NHL hasn't voluntarily cleaned up the officiating and until it does it's up to the media, fans, and team management to expose the blatant corruption for what it is.  Both the refs from last night would have been terminated on the spot for their complete lack of professionalism if the league was honest and gave a damn about the integrity of the sport.  That kind of misconduct from a referee isn't acceptable, nor should it be.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Yup, I'm sure this wasn't on purpose.  Bottom line is the NHL hasn't voluntarily cleaned up the officiating and until it does it's up to the media, fans, and team management to expose the blatant corruption for what it is.  Both the refs from last night would have been terminated on the spot for their complete lack of professionalism if the league was honest and gave a damn about the integrity of the sport.  That kind of misconduct from a referee isn't acceptable, nor should it be.

Pfft.  That's not a penalty according to some posters.  It's Playoff hockey.

:mellow:

• Haha 2