The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 17, 2020 | Series tied 2-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I do not think refs had much to do with our losing. Canucks had 7(?) pp chances and they did not bury them. Blues made adjustments in their PK and it showed. We need to make ours now.

In 2011 we went 2-33 on the PP in the finals, Sound familiar?

But we tied them 5 on 5 last night (1 - 1). The special teams lost it for us (pp 0 for 7 and PK giving up 2, although one was a 5 on 3)

The colour twins (Brown and Green) need to present the Blues with a different look, so here's my armchair suggestion...

1st unit:  Hughes, Miller, Petey, Pearson, and Gaudette (slotting in for LE)

2nd: Bo, Boeser, Virtanen, Edler and Rafferty (slotting in for Stech)

Other changes I'd make would be Bailey for Zack, and I'd seriously think about giving Demko a start

I'd play Jake with Bo, Adam with Sutter and Roussel, and Bailey with Beagle.  So 3 lines would have a fresh look, and the defense would have a little bit of size with no loss of mobility or shot.  Edler needs a mobile partner, and Brogan provides that in spades. 

So to summarize...

In: Gaudette, Bailey, Rafferty (and maybe Demko)

Out: Eriksson, MacEwen, Stecher (and maybe Marky)

But what do I know  - never played hockey in my life

• Haha 1

Just now, MikeBossy said:

So did the PP - I laugh at everyone who thinks the Blues would not have push back. We saw it the last two games and we need to adjust.

for sure. This thing is a battle, its not easy for the B'Lose either they are working their asses off to beat us. I'm really proud of the group for making it such a hard series.

Other than this, I'm not sure what else we can do but improve the execution on the PP?

Miller-EP-Boes

Pearson-Bo-Jake

Rous-Sutter-Loui

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Unfortunately Beagle hasn't contributed any goals, neither has Motte. I would throw Roussel with them on a fourth line that just plays defence and hits the other team, and pisses them off. On the third I would go with Virtanen Sutter Gaudette in hopes to generate some speed through the neutral zone with all 3 able to score a nice goal individually, or as a unit with Gaud getting into areas to shoot. It would be really nice to see a healthy Tofolli but who knows where he's at.

Unfortunately we are at a real disadvantage that none of our top guys penalty kill (nor Virtanen or Gaudette) since that makes it hard to take Eriksson out of the line-up, which would be good since he just can't hit the net these days.

I think he is the easiest person to swap out - Gaudette is not as defensively sound however he at least can hit the net and has scored greasy goals which is what we need right now. Part of the issue is we are looking for the perfect pass when we need greasy playoff goals - traffic in front - make it hard for Allen to see the puck etc. Look back at the Minny series and goals were created by being in front of the net. Now with that being said St louis has a big strong Defense and its not so easy to get in front - however if the officials would call what they called on Myers in the Minny series against the Blues we might be able to establish a net presence.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Bing in Juolevi he needs some experience and we need another offensive type to generate some chances.

Yeah, can't hurt to give him some experience.  Just need the message to him be that don't worry about making mistakes, just have fun and learn about what the NHL is all about.  The experience could pay dividends down the road.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rekker said:

True. I think people look at zone time and think we have been dominanted and yes the Blues have been in the Canucks zone a lot. But that's the Blues game and a lot of times the Canucks give them the outside in their own zone. Actual quality scoring chances I would say have been very similar if not tilted in our favour for the series. Domination is not a word I would use at all for the series. Bottom line is our PP let us down big time last night. It cost the game.

We shouldn't be relying so heavily on our PP to win games. It makes us one dimensional. We need to be a team that can adapt and adjust.

5 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

for sure. This thing is a battle, its not easy for the B'Lose either they are working their asses off to beat us. I'm really proud of the group for making it such a hard series.

Other than this, I'm not sure what else we can do but improve the execution on the PP?

Miller-EP-Boes

Pearson-Bo-Jake

Rous-Sutter-Loui

To this point we really didn't miss Toffoli but sure could use him on the PP. Bo JT Brock and even Virtanen need to park their ass in front of Allen on the PP as they have the size to battle with the Blues D and it allows Petey and hughes the ability to free wheel a bit.

I absolutely agree with you - i am so proud of what this team has accompolished and its series like this that will be valuable learning tools for us moving forward/

Edited by MikeBossy
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Jaimito said:

First real adversity in playoffs. 

See how the team responds. We see what Blues is bringing to the table. 

Nux need to match that championship intensity shift after shift.  Got out worked. Period. 

I agree mostly, but I think the first adversity they faxed was in game 2 when the Blues came back to send the game to OT. The guys didn't wither but came back and won. I think they're growing before our eyes.

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Gaudette and Juolevi in, Virtanen/Eriksson and Stetcher out. 

I want Big Mac to bring it next game. 

Id be ok going Juolevi for Stecher. Apparently hes had an amazing camp and looked solid in the limited time vs Wild. 

Just sucks thinking about sitting Jake. I really thought hed bring it this playoffs and hit everything that moves. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Oh man... I still have PTSD from that series. 

I will never step foot in Boston. Well.... Maybe if my kids get into Harvard one day. That would be the only exception. 

These Blues remind me of Boston - hence why I would not cheer for them moving forward. The cheap shots and mugging of Petey etc is not what the playoffs are all about. Plus i hate Gloria by Laura Branigan 

Maybe Podkolzin will be that player. Big, gritty, fast, hits etc. This team still needs more truculence. Maybe by the time Podkolzin and Woo join the team. Also, Lind, Focht and Rathbone make it?

By then (2022), Pettersson and Hughes will have put on more muscle, fully developed and even better than they are now. More experience for Boeser, Gaudette and MacEwen. Maybe Juolevi turns into a Top 4 Dman. Horvat will be a veteran player. 

They still technically have a chance in this series, but whoever has the momentum, goes on to win. Do the Canucks have it in them to take the momentum back form the big, bad Champs?

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Id be ok going Juolevi for Stecher. Apparently hes had an amazing camp and looked solid in the limited time vs Wild. 

Just sucks thinking about sitting Jake. I really thought hed bring it this playoffs and hit everything that moves. 

I would be ok demoting him to the fourth line, he needs to be more involved and aggressive on the forecheck. 

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread.  Have you guys all lost your mind?  

We're tied 2-2 with the Stanley Cup champs.  Our PP and PK are the reason that we're tied with them AFTER FOUR GAMES.  You guys are pretending like we've only played two periods against the Blues.  So much complaining about our PP and PK, it's ridiculous. 

If we start swapping out our veterans for some rookies, you'll see the Blues spank us 7-2.  Now is NOT the time to start experimenting with rookies other then Gaudette.  Benn and Fanta have been very good, no reason to put in Juolevi or Rafferty....  that's for next season unless we get another injury. 

3 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

These Blues remind me of Boston - hence why I would not cheer for them moving forward. The cheap shots and mugging of Petey etc is not what the playoffs are all about. Plus i hate Gloria by Laura Branigan 

Have you ever watched the NHL playoffs before?  It happens every year.  BTW, the 2011 Canucks had some of the cheapest and dirtiest players in the league.  It goes both ways.

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

We shouldn't be relying so heavily on our PP to win games. It makes us one dimensional. We need to be a team that can adapt and adjust.

Yep.

Reminds me of the Boston and TB series.   TB had the best PP in the playoffs.   Then for some reason in Game 7, there was ZERO power plays for both team.  I found that hard to believe that both teams were super disciplined. 

:mellow:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't think Juolevi has ever played right D.  Would mean moving Eddie, or maybe play Benn up and move Fanta to right, where he has played, with OJ, or with Edler.

So could be Edler/Fanta with Juolevi/Benn or Edler/Benn with Juolevi/Fanta

Either way is disrupting 2 pairs

Rafferty for Stecher would be a less disruptive, more obvious, move

Could also be Juolevi/Edler with Fanta/Benn,  but not sure Eddie is comfortable there, although he has played right D when younger

Edited by Googlie