The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 17, 2020 | Series tied 2-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Also the schedules for this series sucks with the Back to back on games 3-4 whereas the east get theirs later on (if at all) also the east seems to stagger theirs so they all get early,mid,late FO where as it seems only the Canucks get the late time. 

The ice quality does degrade as the day wears on and the puck does bobble more.  It’s not the reason for our two loses but it would be nice to get good ice.

im guessing the reason is down to networks and time zones? 

45 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I'm going with a glass half full approach.

Yes St Louis has all the momentum but we were very tired last game, we played more meaningful games than they had. They kind of mailed it in during the round Robin section while we played 4 tight physical games against the wild.

I think the boys come out flying tonight, no prediction on the outcome cause I'm proud of them no matter what. But we are down to a best of 3 and last time I checked we won the first 2 of 3 games in this series.

And adversity is good for this group. 94 we had 3 overtime come from behind wins to extinguish the flames after being down 3-1.

In 2011 the hawks fought back and won 3 in a row to tie the series and we eventually put them away ala dragonslayer.

This is the ultimate test so far for our boys!

GCG!!!

as tsn radio guys said, biggest game since 2011 finals

• -DLC- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
21 hours ago, oldnews said:

Fantenburg is playing 15 minutes a night.

He's playing the highest dzone starts on the blueline at 73%.  Not sheltered nor limited minutes.

He's been outstanding.

He hits hard and often - he stays within himself - maintains excellent positioning, complements any partner well - and critically (this is where Benn lost his job to him imo ) = Fantenburg's first pass is excellent.

I agree that the present situation exposes the need for more effective depth - but not many teams can go blow for blow with St Louis after losing a top 4 big minutes D like Myers - particularly when the team is effectively 3RHD deep - and it forces Stecher into all-situations use.  That's a heavy calling against a heavy team.  At the same time, STL is without Bouwmeester, who likewise, brought a subtle but significant difference to their blueline.

Fantenburg has been the most positive/unexpected surprise this year - Benn has been adequate but a relative disappointment imo.  I don't like to get too critical of depth guys - but I don't think he maintains the pace the team wants/needs to play with - and while he brings grit - and has made some excellent blocks and defensive plays in the past few games, he also is a downgrade in puck movement and mobility.  The transition game up and down the lineup just isnt' quite the same.  I think I'd take the 'risk' of getting Juolevi in the lineup - I think he probably provides better puck retrieval as well - which can help transition the puck  before STL closes in on the forecheck.  There's been a notable difference in the ability to generate those dzone exits in the absence of Myers (I know a lot of people malign the guy, but he does some subtle things very well imo - and brings needed physicality, mobility and puck movement to the blueline). 

That said - this team rarely if ever gets to operate with a healthy blueline - it's been a positively bizarre year - where they were almost healthy on the back end (11 games lost for Edler) - but the blueline is usually a M.A.S.H. unit - so hard to complain about one injury (whereas this year it's been the forward lines getting decimated).  

The team could sure use an upgrade over LE in the top 6 - but Toffoli, Ferland, Gaudette - Leivo....and Green winds up having to placehold the 16th forward onto Horvat's line.  It makes life a little easier for the Blues matchup units for sure - but overall, I've been really happy and impressed with how the team has managed to compete - every team could probably use more depth = this team's depth has been pretty damn good imo.  In the future they'll need their youth to continue to push from within - hopefully guys like Woo, Rafferty, Brisebois, Sautner, Chatfield can provide that from within.

Either I had a dyslexic stat reading day or my score app glitched cause when I looked at his minutes on game 3 it said / thought I read 11 minutes !

and I was like damn I really noticed him in those 11 minutes haha! 15 and 20 minutes player makes a lot more sense!

Yes 100% have been really impressed with fantenbergs play! Constantly noticing him for making great plays like zone exits and solid hits.

was nice to see him rewarded with PK time too

thanks for responding 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I am frustrated as I feel many of the things the Blues changed could be countered and also we could have made several adjustments 

I get they are more experienced but I also don’t want an excuse for losing 

Our team has a strong roster and it will only get stronger in the next couple of years. We need to bring in experienced coaches that are capable of taking the team to the next level 

Strong roster - yes

Get stronger over the next few years - yes

Need an experienced coach to take them to next level - No

2 out 3 ain't bad...

Cheers

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Strong roster - yes

Get stronger over the next few years - yes

Need an experienced coach to take them to next level - No

2 out 3 ain't bad...

Cheers

Incorrect 

if you seriously think the crew we have is competent you are sadly mistaken

pp - awful, easy to seal off and figure out 

pk - awful, static box no aggressive puck play 

d zone - fire drill and tire fire 

In game management - non existent 

line matching - non existent 

too many men - awesome 

game plan focusses on player strengths- nope

transitional game - non existent 

forecheck - what’s that? 

still think our coaching is solid ? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

2011 wins a best of 7 series in 3 games against these guys...

2020 BARELY made the playoffs. 2011 ran away with the presidents trophy.

Anyone have an mvp in 2020? Nope.

Anyone win the Selkee? Art Ross?  Jennings?

Sami Salo can still shoot harder than all 6 dman now. Bieksa could still beat up every player on the Canucks now.

Do you think Troy Stetcher or Tyler Motte even get invited to camp during 2011? Nope.

Are you sure about that? The ability for the 2020 team to elevate their play with the inexperience and youthfulness is not normal. The character and composure of this team exceeds the 2011 team IMO. 

The 2011 almost never came out of the first round almost losing to the 8th seeded team. The only players I would say exceeded expectations were Burrows and Kesler to a degree. With the success the 2011 team had in the regular season, they should of had an easy path to the Cup final. If not for the heroics of a Burrows, they would not have made it that far.

Our current Captain has already taken this team on his back and single handedly won games. Very similar to Linden in 94'. Markstrom has already made some key saves ala Mclean. Luongo? Not so much. 

To top it all off, we have never, ever had a dynamic player such as Hughes and he is a difference maker. 

Here are some fun facts:

2011 playoffs

name                   G        G       A       PTS    + -    

H. Sedin              25       3       19       22      -11

D. Sedin              25       9       11       20       -9

Kesler                  25       7       12      19        0

Burrows               25       9        8       17        0

Ehrhoff                23       2        10     12       -13

Edler                   25       2        9        11       -4

Bieksa                 25       5       5        10        6

2020 Playoffs

Petterson             8        4        5         9         1

Hughes                8        1        8         9         2

Horvat                  8        6        2         8         3 

Miller                    8        4        4         8         0 

Boeser                 8       2        5          7         3

Pearson               8        3        3         6        -2

Tanev                   8       1        5          6        2

1994 Playoffs

Bure                   24      16        15       31

Linden                24       12       13       25

Courtnall            24        9        10       19

Brown                24        6         9        15

Ronning             24        5        10       15

Name                        SV %             GAA

McLean                     .928                2.29    94 playoffs

Markstrom                 .927                2.42    2020 playoffs

Luongo                      .914                2.56    2011 playoffs

6 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Incorrect 

too many men - awesome 

forecheck - what’s that? 

Out PK isn’t to bad, if you go aggressive on the PK you need to go full Czech otherwise you get picked off. 

it is reckless and irresponsible for a PKer to chase a forward up the boards. It’s better to remain tight and compact and make them create something rather than being aggressive and giving them space in behind. 

if you had watched the difference between the Blues PK - they have actually become less aggressive and more passive as the series has gone on as they realise the 1st unit PP of the Canucks can take them apart when the game is broken up, but against set play struggles 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Incorrect 

too many men - awesome 

forecheck - what’s that? 

ok 2288 you gonna blame bad weather on the coach too?

These are the champs they are playing, the D and forwards have all of the attributes that make them successful in playoffs.  Half of our D wouldnt crack the Blues roster and Edler / Tanev would have trouble cracking their top 4.  The mismatch on the back end between the two teams will make this a very tough series to win.  Theres a reason we get worked in our end and they dont - and its not the coach.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Darius said:

ok 2288 you gonna blame bad weather on the coach too?

These are the champs they are playing, the D and forwards have all of the attributes that make them successful in playoffs.  Half of our D wouldnt crack the Blues roster and Edler / Tanev would have trouble cracking their top 4.  The mismatch on the back end between the two teams will make this a very tough series to win.  Theres a reason we get worked in our end and they dont - and its not the coach.

Can we cut the garbage about “these are the champs” 

I guess we should have declined playing given we had zero chance right? After all Champs never lose( even though the “champs” lost every game in the seeding round) 

you are just like Green, prop up the other team to rationalize a loss 

blues are not going to get by the Avalanche 

I have a novel idea, why not make adjustments instead of saying “oh well, just glad to be here” 

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

Out PK isn’t to bad, if you go aggressive on the PK you need to go full Czech otherwise you get picked off. 

it is reckless and irresponsible for a PKer to chase a forward up the boards. It’s better to remain tight and compact and make them create something rather than being aggressive and giving them space in behind. 

if you had watched the difference between the Blues PK - they have actually become less aggressive and more passive as the series has gone on as they realise the 1st unit PP of the Canucks can take them apart when the game is broken up, but against set play struggles 

Look back and check how the Blues immediately double teamed on the high boards 

we had no answer for it 

a static box let’s them make puck handling mistakes and still keep possession 

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

I guess we should have declined playing given we had zero chance right? After all Champs never lose( even though the “champs” lost every game in the seeding round) 

I have a novel idea, why not make adjustments instead of saying “oh well, just glad to be here” 

Green has made some adjustments through the series. But sticking every line in a blender every shift is just a recipe for just have 5 skaters out there and not a team. It’s not 2KNHL

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

yeah because winning the cup last year shows a) the team is not a high calibre team and b) the team does not know how to win.  its only garbage in your mind.

who said that.  a rational person would realize that a team whose prominent players are relatively young  and still has several holes to fill will have periods where they struggle against a championship calibre team.  a rational person will also realize that it will be very difficult to beat such a team in light of the fact that the other team over matches them in several areas.  but you keep blaming the coach.

that other team needs no propping up.  they are the defending champs.

what adjustments?  you think adding gaudette or swapping around role players is gonna make a difference? LOL...yeah its the coaches fault.

this team will win if its elite players counter punch on the rush and on the PP and marky stands on his head.  Thats it thats all.

Edited by Darius
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Incorrect 

too many men - awesome 

forecheck - what’s that? 

It's not as if they are playing a bunch of nobodies, is it?

PP - awful is it really?

Canucks PP Game 1- 3 for 6, Game 2- 2 for 3, Game 3 1 for 2, and game 4 0 for 7 = 6 for18 = 33%

PK - awful is it really?

Blues PP Game 1-1 for 3, Game 2 1 for 6, Game 3 0 for 2, and game 4 2 for 5 (1 being a 5 on 3)  = 4 for16 = 25%

So reality is Canucks PP has been better than theirs despite drawing a blank in the last game.... don't let reality get in the way of a good story.

D zone a fire drill... our only big proper battle hardened d is out injured. The d core is hardly coach Greene fault...

This was one of the reasons it was important to get in to the play offs. To evaluate the team in proper pressure of play off games... team and coach alike.

I don't know what Benning thinks, and he may decide Greene is gone after these playoffs, although I doubt it.

We tried a SC winning coach if you remember... didn't go too well did it?

• Vintage 2

7 hours ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

image.png.f635d00d0abe96b0a0c2a63792a06313.png

HAHA....loui on PP1.....good one!!   I mean why not....he has sooooo many points already!!!

He's not there to score, he ist there to pull the defence apart so the others get more room... if so he will probably get some more points so you be happier . 

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Incorrect 

too many men - awesome 

forecheck - what’s that? 

Just change your name to ihatecanucks2288 ... I can’t wait for game 5 to come or the series to be won by our boys so all the panic and negativity can get drown out. GCG!!! :towel:

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2020 at 1:46 PM, Fan since 82 said:

I agree mostly, but I think the first adversity they faxed was in game 2 when the Blues came back to send the game to OT. The guys didn't wither but came back and won. I think they're growing before our eyes.

yeah, that's an in game adversity which I am impressed.  So was the tying goal in game 3, only 37 secs after Blues took the lead.

I am more referring to losing 2 in a row in a series and momentum on Blues side.  Linden said in playoffs, momentum doesn't really go from game to game.  Let's see what adjustments TG has and if the boyz can take the lead in the series again    

• Cheers 1