The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 21, 2020 | Canucks win series 4-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hell of a game by the Canucks from start to end and just a dominant performance in the face of adversity and lots of pressure by the Blues all season. Strong teams put away these elimination games, when you look back at Cup winners, what really decides them is how they perform in elimination games. I was worried the Blues would come out stronger but we absolutely walloped them.

Fair to say I think the key to this series was goal tending as it is with most. Last year, Binnington won them the Cup basically by himself. This year, he single handedly lost it. The Blues in the post game interviews were trying to defend him but he was straight up awful and made it easy for us. Yes, some of the goals were A-grade chances, but in the post season you have to be able to stop them. If Allen had started tonight it might have been different but thankfully they played their worst player, who really sunk their team after the Boeser goal. All were straight on shots, made it easy for the Canucks. 

This was a hard team to beat otherwise, they dominated us most of the time 5 on 5 but our special teams and goalie stole the show and hopefully they can do a number in Vegas. Tonight in particular full marks for our neutral zone play and forecheck which caused chaos and lead directly to goals.

I think beating the West's best team is nice but the Blues were struggling at the start. They did eventually arrive and gave us their all and we did bend, but our bounce back was impressive and something I don't think we even saw in 2011. This team's resilience is impressive. Give credit to the coaches, Markstrom and our leaders and veterans on this. While this game was a cake walk, Game 5 down 3-1 was a massive turning point. Whatever was said in that dressing room worked. 

Going forward, when the Canucks find themselves in trouble against Vegas, they can always look back to the turning points in this series where they literally out-played the best post-season team in the league.

Harsh they don't get long to celebrate or much of a break but this is a good confidence boost and momentum to ride off for everyone tonight. In particular I think that Boeser goal really fired him up.

He was okay last year, but I think a big part of the success was new goalie, so the defence tightened up a lot and their play style was less open and more close which limited chances against.

this year they have opened up a bit at the back and it’s exposed him a bit more, and the book is now written. 

he is a fairly young minder so in reality it may not be bad for him to go back to AHL/backup for a while and him to learn how to perfect his craft, how to play all situations rather then relying on skill alone 

The people thinking this Canucks team and the Canucks team that played in the regular season are the same team are in for a big surprise.  The playoffs have changed them, they have completely bought into Green’s system defensively and the Knights have no answer for Virtanen when he’s skating and forcing his way towards the net like he did in game 5 and 6.  This feels like a different season and Chicago wasn’t a very strong challenge for Vegas. Chicago looked old and tired by the end.  If the Knights think the Canucks are the same team they played in the regular season they are going to get a rude awakening.  The key is the bottom 6 need to keep pushing the offence like they did the last 2 games against the Blues.  And I’d match our depth against theirs especially when we’re healthy.  And I think Myers and Toffoli will play against Vegas.  Also Pettersson plays well against Vegas.  It’s going to be a fun series.  No offence to the Blackhawks but the Canucks have played far superior opposition than Vegas and we’re just getting started.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Are you on drugs.. one was a turn over, and beags wired a top corner wrist shot, you think that was weak? For real? 

2nd one a turn over as well and his own D man screened him trying to block the shot.. really? Think it's just that easy? Wow dude..  sorry but your mistaken.. 

Not on drugs, you know a goalie can do other things to minimize scoring chances? He could have come out more to cut out the angle on the beagle goal. Rousell goal was another he read badly. You can't tell me that Binnington played like a total sieve this series?

8 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

The people thinking this Canucks team and the Canucks team that played in the regular season are the same team are in for a big surprise.  The playoffs have changed them, they have completely bought into Green’s system defensively and the Knights have no answer for Virtanen when he’s skating and forcing his way towards the net like he did in game 5 and 6.  This feels like a different season and Chicago wasn’t a very strong challenge for Vegas. Chicago looked old and tired by the end.  If the Knights think the Canucks are the same team they played in the regular season they are going to get a rude awakening.  The key is the bottom 6 need to keep pushing the offence like they did the last 2 games against the Blues.  And I’d match our depth against theirs especially when we’re healthy.  And I think Myers and Toffoli will play against Vegas.  Also Pettersson plays well against Vegas.  It’s going to be a fun series.  No offence to the Blackhawks but the Canucks have played far superior opposition than Vegas and we’re just getting started.  

Some good points here. If Vegas thinks we are that team in the regular season they are in trouble. However I fully expect them to come at us hard, goaltending will be a huge factor in this series.

33 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Me going to sleep?  It’s only 3:00 am 

Me and the wife got up 10am UK time having got up to watch. Took us some time to get to sleep as we were still on a high but what a morning that was. A really strong team performance and with this year being our first time watching our team in the Stanley Cup i would agree some of the big difference with the league is team's galvanise together and it is a totally different game. Vegas I agree will have a shock at the difference in our group. The team are learning, the coaching staff are learning but the biggest thing........the dressing room, the bit we don't see.

The vibe is our team are as one.....happy backroom, strong team on the ice. Really excited to see what we can do. Listen to Perron's comments about not all the team, to me says it's the behind the scenes bit that was the difference from last year.

Not saying we will beat Vegas BUT i am saying league means nothing.......GAME ON!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

For those saying the Canucks have slayed the dragon. I would polity disagree with that statement.

for me slaying the dragon would be if the team fell short of the playoffs for a number of years while being in their core window, and finally making it.

or like the early 2000s Canucks of not being able to get past the first round and finally doing it

or coming up against the same team post season time and time again and finally beating them (Chicago)

for me this team isn’t yet in their prime, this is a new team not held back by the past, it’s been an almost full change and not a period of trying to remain a fringe team while rebuilding but rebuilding a team to compete.

as such this team currently has no dragons. As they age, progress, reach their prime and then decline we will see some emerge and at that point we will see if they can overcome them. At the moment it’s all new ground 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1