The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

rush limbaugh is despicable.

If he had a movement like white lives matter and called blacks or Latino or asians sub human. 

That would acceptable?

Co founder of Toronto blm, a community leader and sets guidelines.

https://newsradiowrva.radio.com/blogs/jeff-katz/blm-leader-calls-white-people-subhuman-genetic-defects

A co-founder of the Toronto chapter of the Black Lives Matter organization wrote in a since-deleted Facebook post that "white people are a genetic defect of blackness."

"Whiteness is not humxness," Yusra Khogali wrote in 2016. "In fact, white skin is sub-humxn."

She added that white people "are recessive genetic defects. this is factual."

"White ppl need white supremacy as a mechanism to protect their survival as a people because all they can do is produce themselves," she continued. "Black ppl simply through their dominant genes can literally wipe out the white race if we had the power to."

Khogali stated that white people have a "higher concentration of enzyme inhibitors which suppresses melanin production." She also added that "melanin is important for a number of things such as strong bones, intelligence, vision and hearing."

Khogali also tweeted in 2016, "Plz Allah give me the strength to not cuss/kill these men and white folks out here today."

I think she was simply talking about how the 'whiteness' of the skin is a genetic variation, and how 'whiteness' is a recessive trait, much like red hair, was.

What Khogali said was not really scientifically verifiable and she is spewing some racist rhetoric, much like how some people think blacks are subhuman (claims like blacks are lower in intelligence, etc).

That shows that she said some pretty stupid things, but reflects her reaction to what her life was like. She was probably raised in a racist/slighted household. And not to justify her actions/words, we seem to ignore the white racists that are raging across the US.

Just now, oldnews said:

Can anyone tell me what "race" consists of?

Serious question. 

I'd like to start a discussion from the 'ground' up - see if there is any reasonable, non-partisan, non-ideological grounding to be gained - before proceeding to all the divisiveness that ensues once most people take their positions within opposing, battling herds.

It's disconcerting how entrenched so many people can get - without being able to answer something as "simple" as the original matter that underlies an entire (global) dynamic like this.

What - exactly - is "race" in the sense that we're fighting/arguing about?

I've spent a long time thinking about this - researching it - scientifically and socially/culturally - and the 'answers' are weak at best once you really dig into the history of "race"  - but before I do that I'm wondering if anyone can give a solid answer to that question above.

nailed it, we're all the same on the inside.

Skin color is used way to often when describing a human.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't actually happen. Even the not exactly prestigious World Tribune are only reporting it as "according to... the Gateway Pundit".

Assuming it did I don't really see how it has any relevance, as others have pointed out.

(edit - for those not familiar with The Gateway Pundit, their tagline is "We report the truth - and leave the Russian-Collusion fairy tale to the Conspiracy media". Seems legit to me)

Edited by Biff Tannen

Just now, Robert Long said:

what? :lol:

I asked you if she comes by her anger honestly. I didn't ask you anything about how she's chosen to express it. 

you're defending her racism as anger and justifying it by past experiences.

So white south africans have the right to hate black africans because if the rapes and murders going on there because of the skin color?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

https://newsradiowrva.radio.com/blogs/jeff-katz/blm-leader-calls-white-people-subhuman-genetic-defects

A co-founder of the Toronto chapter of the Black Lives Matter organization wrote in a since-deleted Facebook post that "white people are a genetic defect of blackness."

"Whiteness is not humxness," Yusra Khogali wrote in 2016. "In fact, white skin is sub-humxn."

She added that white people "are recessive genetic defects. this is factual."

"White ppl need white supremacy as a mechanism to protect their survival as a people because all they can do is produce themselves," she continued. "Black ppl simply through their dominant genes can literally wipe out the white race if we had the power to."

Khogali stated that white people have a "higher concentration of enzyme inhibitors which suppresses melanin production." She also added that "melanin is important for a number of things such as strong bones, intelligence, vision and hearing."

Khogali also tweeted in 2016, "Plz Allah give me the strength to not cuss/kill these men and white folks out here today."

I think she was simply talking about how the 'whiteness' of the skin is a genetic variation, and how 'whiteness' is a recessive trait, much like red hair, was.

What Khogali said was not really scientifically verifiable and she is spewing some racist rhetoric, much like how some people think blacks are subhuman (claims like blacks are lower in intelligence, etc).

That shows that she said some pretty stupid things, but reflects her reaction to what her life was like. She was probably raised in a racist/slighted household. And not to justify her actions/words, we seem to ignore the white racists that are raging across the US.

this is from July 2020 as her tweets show the date.

10 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Trevor Linden says "Hi"

Regular season:  .627

Playoffs:               .798

derp.

"almost always" says "hi".

You missed the point entirely - with an outlier. 

As I said - "most".

anyhow - carry on - and well done - you found an exception.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

you're defending her racism as anger and justifying it by past experiences.

Please quote me where I've defended her comments. 

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

So white south africans have the right to hate black africans because if the rapes and murders going on there because of the skin color?

you keep making the mistake of generalizing individual actions to entire groups. 

• Upvote 1

Was looking at game 2 hilites again, and am still gobsmacked at Petey's first shift.

Picks up the puck from QH and then barrels down the left wing,   casually swatting aside Vegas players as though they were just annoying bugs, then powers round the back of the net and lays a perfect pass to Toffee.

Some "little squirt", eh?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't actually happen. Even the not exactly prestigious World Tribune are only reporting it as "according to... the Gateway Pundit".

Assuming it did I don't really see how it has any relevance, as others have pointed out.

I have the video, i removed it as it was animal abuse( not trying to get in trouble) and linked to a friends facebook that shared the video.

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Was looking at game 2 hilites again, and am still gobsmacked at Petey's first shift.

Picks up the puck from QH and then barrels down the left wing,   casually swatting aside Vegas players as though they were just annoying bugs, then powers round the back of the net and lays a perfect pass to Toffee.

Some "little squirt", eh?

I am curious to see what adjustments Vegas makes for the next game (and how Vancouver counters those changes). We definitely surprised them with our changes - less cross ice passes in our own end and we got the puck past centre and to their blue line much quicker than game 1. The tactics of this series will be interesting.

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Those are remarkable stats.

It's almost always the case that player production decreases in the playoffs - you can track many, many players - even the 'great' ones - and that is typically the case.

I would put an asterisk by those stats, though, for a number of reasons.

1) this playoffs is being officiated - and I say this in general because it has still been markedly inconsistent/with moving goalposts - but in general these playoffs are being officiated more like a preseason than a typical playoffs.  We've seen a whole lot of ticky tack calls - a whole lot of powerplays - nothing resembling the typical throwing away of whistles.  For me - this is somewhat of a welcome change - there needs to be a middle ground and far more continuity - so that the game resembles itself as closely as possible from game 1 of the regular season right though the playoffs.  But the implication in this relatively rare small sample - is that the conditions to be productive = are better than they normally are in the playoffs.

2) the players that typically take a lot of punishment - because they possess/own/hold the puck -- and are therefore more exposed to hits -  are coming into this playoffs after four months off - as opposed to after the regular seaseon grind.  this is particularly relevent to younger players - who may recover quickly - but in general have not grown into the strength and stamina that they will possess when they get closer to that 25 yr range.  These conditions are particularly 'ripe' for younger teams to take advantage of.   And it snowballs - because as the calls are being made, teams are less prone to take cheap shots on 'stars' etc.  This is not to say the EP and Hughes have not taken a lot of punishment - they've fought through it in spectacular fashion - but - it's also all relative.

3) the playoffs are taking place within a 'bubble'.  This means that the usual travel and play - is mitigated considerably - and teams like Vancouver - that usually have to trot all over the continent - are not facing the typical disadvantage they normally would.

Ie - travelling back and forth to Minnesota = 2700 km - in both directions!

- travelling back and forth to Missouri = 3500 km x 2 roundtrip = 7000km each time.

- Nevada is 'only' 1700 km one way - but still - compare that to the typical East coast road trip and it's still a relatively huge distance.

4) I'm gonna throw this in here - not so much as an 'objective' point - but as part of my respect and appreciation of 'bottom six plugs'.    The combinations of Beagle/Motte, Sutter and whomever he has played with - have been bloody outstanding - dominant - and have helped create some very advantageous situational play for the young stars.  They have also been stellar in supporting Markstrom - tremendous penalty killing, bending but not breaking vs high end opponents.   The same has to be said about Tanev, Edler, Fantenburg - and Stecher - Myers - and Benn.  These guys not only make life a whole lot easier for EP/Hughes - but (when healthy) they also alleviate some of Horvat's load - and you see what he's doing in that context.  Additionally - as you often see when teams strike a great balance like this - you get the odd huge offensive contributions from those shutdown guys - who's puck pressure and relentless work ethic result in the odd breakthrough - where they counterpunch opponents - and somewhat 'break' them in the process.  There is nothing more deflating than having your 'stars' get rekt by Tyler Motte (or as in the past Sutter/Dorsett running all over McDavid's line).  That can really break an opponent down.  And on the counterpoint - there is nothing more inflating than when your sophomore 'superstar' takes cues from these guys and throws his body in front of shots (ie EP made one of the biggest saves in the playoffs thus far), he's hounding pucks like a bottom six shutdown forward, being as physical as he can looking to separate opponents from the puck, getting in shooting lanes, diving into passing lanes to break up threats/transition.   That's a balanced, complete team effort - and half the game is defending - so every one of those defensive efforts - enhances offensive production in the end - because they lead to the end of opposition possession - and a greater opportunity to possess the puck, transition the puck.  That's why you build a team like this.

Anyhow - none of that is stated to take anything away from Hughes or EP - they have been downright remarkable - and taken full advantage of the situation and their opportunities.

Worth the read. 
Canucks in 5. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

nailed it, we're all the same on the inside.

Skin color is used way to often when describing a human.

it may be that 'simple' in it's 'origin' - skin deep - with some cultural differences over time and space - depending on where humans migrated to, where they lived climatically, what they ate, etc - generating what seem like significant 'differences' - but nevertheless - it's been the 'basis' for a great deal of very real racism - ideologically - over millenia - so the question remains. 

Can anyone tell me what "race" really consists of - whether the 'basis' of "race" is worthy of all the historical, political, cultural, structural, etc, weight it has been given, and the subsequent consequences?

I'm not talking about the real fabrication and use of 'race' for political, socio-economic ends, etc - I'm talking about whether there is (scientific and philosophical) validity to the concept, in it's essence.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

derp.

"almost always" says "hi".

You missed the point entirely - with an outlier. 

As I said - "most".

anyhow - carry on - and well done - you found an exception.

Lol - and I looked at all the usual suspects, but, yes, production does fall off in the playoffs (some superstars can maintain  - Bure, Jagr - but the Thorntons, Mogilnys, Kanes, Ovechkins don't)

Even Superman (Crosby) becomes less (still amazing):

Regular season:  1.283

Playoffs:               1.125

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Googlie said:

Lol - and I looked at all the usual suspects, but, yes, production does fall off in the playoffs (some superstars can maintain  - Bure, Jagr - but the Thorntons, Mogilnys, Kanes, Ovechkins don't)

Even Superman (Crosby) becomes less (still amazing):

Regular season:  1.283

Playoffs:               1.125

thanks.

that was the point - in general - it becomes harder to produce in the playoffs - you can add the Sedins and many others to that list.

Trevor Linden - was a remarkable force - tremendous heart and will - a rare player.

• Thanks 1