The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Benning seems like a one ball at a time kind of guy.

Now that the draft is over hopefully he can get to work on some trades/contracts. Not much time.

I think it has more to do with Armstrong being separated from his staff as his contract stipulates he's banned from the draft.

Now he has a couple of days to decide what to do.

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Do they have prospects to spare to do that?

I mean sure, I guess it's 'possible'. I'm not losing any sleep.

I'm sure Stevie Y would take Bouchard to dump Koskinen. So far tho Stevie hasn't done much to use that cap space of his. 

This whole situation reminds me of me  wanting this 2019 Corvette Z51 2LT a few days ago. The car was mint and test drove very well. In the end I decided it wasn’t worth the 40K on top of my trade in. My 2016 Challenger is a very high trim level and in great shape. 

The longer this goes, the more I wonder if the Canucks should just stick with Tanev for now and not get sucked into this long and expensive contract. Maybe JB should see other options later as time goes on.

Just now, grandmaster said:

This whole situation reminds me of me  wanting this 2019 Corvette Z51 2LT a few days ago. The car was mint and test drove very well. In the end I decided it wasn’t worth the 40K on top of my trade in. My 2016 Challenger is a very high trim level and in great shape. 

The longer this goes, the more I wonder if the Canucks should just stick with Tanev for now and not get sucked into this long and expensive contract. Maybe JB should see other options later as time goes on.

Fair enough. But Tanev could be getting some great longer term options. If we match that it will be very difficult to upgrade the D moving forward. It's one of the reasons I want OEL so bad. It's just very difficult to upgrade the D from current decent to Stanley Cup decent. It may come down to the numbers but it appears Pits is readying a big offer. Rutherford has been off his rocker lately and I could see him doing something unreasonable. 

Benning has probably made it a very difficult decision for Armstrong. Being a new GM, he isn't going to want to f*** up the trade that involves the team's best player and captain, even though his hands are sort of tied. Maybe he's digging in his heals, to show the owners he's trying to get the best return possible.

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Bruh what kind of job do you have.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I'm sure Stevie Y would take Bouchard to dump Koskinen. So far tho Stevie hasn't done much to use that cap space of his. 

First, Bouchard is overrated :lol:

Second, Edmonton doesn't have enough decent prospects to be moving them :P

3 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Prolly the same job I had when I traded my 99 Integra type R for a 2003 M3. :lol:

Have you checked out the new 2020 X3M? I was looking at those for my wife. 95K tho. Pricey

How did this topic turn to a discussion on cars? I guess it’s my fault! Sorry

I know OEL is a very good Dman, and there is that idea that he would be great on a very good team (like VAN), but his age/contract is pretty scary. $8.2 is a heck of a lot, no Canucks player has ever been paid that much. Not even close. And they would have to pay that for the next 7 years, whether he produces or not. He's got a NMC. Pettersson and Hughes will be signing huge contracts in 1-2 years, so if they're bringing in an $8.2 player, he better deliver. Maybe it's the price he's willing to pay to get rid of Eriksson's contract.

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Have you checked out the new 2020 X3M? I was looking at those for my wife. 95K tho. Pricey

How did this topic turn to a discussion on cars? I guess it’s my fault! Sorry

$95k is an awful lot of money for an x3.  I'm not convinced people need almost 500 hp in a small SUV.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know OEL is a very good Dman, and there is that idea that he would be great on a very good team (like VAN), but his age/contract is pretty scary. $8.2 is a heck of a lot, no Canucks player has ever been paid that much. Not even close. And they would have to pay that for the next 7 years, whether he produces or not. He's got a NMC. Pettersson and Hughes will be signing huge contracts in 1-2 years, so if they're bringing in an $8.2 player, he better deliver. Maybe it's the price he's willing to pay to get rid of Eriksson's contract.

Ideally he'd be here 6 years and we'd buy him out the 7th and save 4M in cap.

5-6 years is enough time to draft/develop another solid defenseman and by that same time stretch, 5-6 years, their ELC should be ending. If we plan properly bridge deals for Hog/Pod/Lind/etc would be ending when OEL's time here is over.

So in terms of long term vision it can work. We just need to figure out Petey/Hughes because even if we sign them to 3 year bridge deals we will have to figure their long term deals out during the time we have OEL. You just have to be very cautious in FA over this time.