The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

My money would be on Carolina or Colorado.

I'll be shocked if Marky is still a Canuck next season.

Yup, and I don't think there's any appetite for us to move Beagle. Ergo...

I hope we trade his rights for a 2021 pick. Let's recoup some value.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

My money would be on Carolina or Colorado.

I'll be shocked if Marky is still a Canuck next season.

Yup, and I don't think there's any appetite for us to move Beagle. Ergo...

I like Grubaur, maybe I am crazy. Lol. But he was pretty decent this season. Don't see why they'd want to replace him. Unless they truly believe Marky is a far superior option. Which is possible. I just think goaltending isn't really a priority there. Carolina is a solid option. Like I said, anywhere East is fine by me.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IRR said:

You'd have to think Benning must be as close to certain as you can get that this deal will come to fruition to put all other things on the side burner / risk other things.

Or he's got some thing done but doesn't want to announce it until he makes a related move so that it doesn't hurt his position.

• Cheers 4

42 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Arizona is bumping up against the cap ceiling.  The cap floor isn’t a realistic concern even if they dumped OEL with no cap coming back.  

Goligoski, Demers, Hjalmarsson, Stepan = 21.5 M (just about) coming off the books after next season, likely dealt sooner or later as a rental

add that to OEL's contract, thats 30M

19 minutes ago, rekker said:

It's not ideal. But he would be playing next year there I'm sure. Rathbone is tough to give up in trade. He's a big piece and if he is part of the trade Arizona should be accounting for that.

I would hope it would be Juolevi instead. I like Rathbones game more. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I like Grubaur, maybe I am crazy. Lol. But he was pretty decent this season. Don't see why they'd want to replace him. Unless they truly believe Marky is a far superior option. Which is possible. I just think goaltending isn't really a priority there. Carolina is a solid option. Like I said, anywhere East is fine by me.

Grubauer to date while a solid tender is not proving durable or reliable enough.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Goligoski, Demers, Hjalmarsson, Stepan = 21.5 M (just about) coming off the books after next season, likely dealt sooner or later as a rental

add that to OEL's contract, thats 30M

That’s next season. They still need to worry about this year 

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

No.... we need cap off the books for the season after next.  If we add $8.25 million in payroll and still have Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel on the payroll AND have to pay raises for Petterson and Hughes in 2021-22... then we are deeply screwed.

It has to be either Eriksson or both of Roussel and Beagle.

Yep those are the cap dumps. ARZ decide if they want to spend less on salary (take LE) or spend a little more to fill two roster spots (Beagle + Roussel).

Add Benn as a roster replacement for OEL. Total cap out for VAN = $8m

Add in a 2021 2nd as the asset. Don't send OJ or Rathbone.

29 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I hope we trade his rights for a 2021 pick. Let's recoup some value.

Would be nice but I think that ship has sailed. Not holding my breath.

27 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah, I'd prefer Carolina as well :lol:

5 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Grubauer to date while a solid tender is not proving durable or reliable enough.

What he said ^

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Imagine if Edler had 2 years remaining instead of 1. Age wise that is the same situation we would face with OEL.

Interestingly both players looked to hit their prime in the years between 23-25. 

From about 27-30 Edler had a dip in his play then really bounced back in his 30s.

Last season Edler had .56 points per game compared to a career average of .46 and the season before his 10 goals was the second most in his career despite playing only 56 games. The last two seasons he also faced more defensive zone starts and had stronger underlying numbers IE Edler got better.

I think when guys are in the second half of their 20s and are relied on to be the #1 guy their bodies and minds can take a toll. 

now they are two different players but Edler we an example makes me hopeful. 

now on paper the two were comparable last season OEL at the same age has been a better player than Edler throughout his career. As the number two guy behind Hughes he might be a fantastic addition 

Edler's numbers are quite aligned with the teams production. 10 years ago his numbers peaked as the Sedins/Kesler wrecked havoc. As our scoring went down so did Edler's numbers. Now as our scoring goes up, naturally so do his numbers. He's been steady throughout his career except around his back injury.

9 minutes ago, shazzam said:

Edler's numbers are quite aligned with the teams production. 10 years ago his numbers peaked as the Sedins/Kesler wrecked havoc. As our scoring went down so did Edler's numbers. Now as our scoring goes up, naturally so do his numbers. He's been steady throughout his career except around his back injury.

Almost like it's a team sport or something, eh? ;)

• Haha 2