The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Definitely not. Totally agree there. 

One of Myers or Schmidt would be going the other way. I see Schmidt being the odd man out. 

OEL with 1.5 mil retained is an upgrade on Nate. And I like Nate. 

Now if we can also get them to take Loui's deal, now we're cooking. Its not just about Loui's 1 year, he's standing in the way of other roster spots that we might be able to fill with free agents. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OEL with 1.5 mil retained is an upgrade on Nate. And I like Nate. 

Now if we can also get them to take Loui's deal, now we're cooking. Its not just about Loui's 1 year, he's standing in the way of other roster spots that we might be able to fill with free agents. 

I'd still prefer to not pay that much for a defenseman who might be on a downward trajectory, though. Perfectly fine with waiting for a defenseman closer in age to the core, and with more size and power to work with Hughes.

I don't understand the obsession with trading Schmidt for OEL? I'm not a huge fan of Schmidt's cap hit but his contract is 10x better than OEL's. At this point in their careers, OEL and Schmidt is a wash as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention OEL is a LD and Schmidt is a RD, which we desperately need?

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Wait he was really offering the yotes a 1st holy crap that woulda sucked

Reported offers were 1st, 2nd, Virtanen, Sutter for OEL.

It may not have been exactly like this but I think the core components of 1st + Sutter + Virtanen were in there.

1 minute ago, JohnTavares said:

I don't understand the obsession with trading Schmidt for OEL? I'm not a huge fan of Schmidt's cap hit but his contract is 10x better than OEL's. At this point in their careers, OEL and Schmidt is a wash as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention OEL is a LD and Schmidt is a RD, which we desperately need?

I think its more that schmidt left a bad taste in everyones mouth. Like me for one. I didnt see anything that made me think wow what a great dman. God i sure wanted to tho.

1 minute ago, JohnTavares said:

Reported offers were 1st, 2nd, Virtanen, Sutter for OEL.

It may not have been exactly like this but I think the core components of 1st + Sutter + Virtanen were in there.

Holy crap thankfully that didnt go thru lol stupid arizona haha woulda had a top 10 pick. Now they be lucky to get a 3rd

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd still prefer to not pay that much for a defenseman who might be on a downward trajectory, though. Perfectly fine with waiting for a defenseman closer in age to the core, and with more size and power to work with Hughes.

I guess the way I look at it is, there's the deals fans would like to see and then there are the deals a GM can actually make or are presented to them.

Is there a scenario where OEL makes this team better? yes I think so. Is it likely, probably not. But if there's a seam to make it work, particularly if we end up shedding your favourite 14th F, then I'd like to see it if we can somehow do it not giving up the 9th oa. 

We don't know how desperate AZ is right now, I'd think after the mess Chyka made they might be open to something major to shed salary and hit the reset button. 

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think they’ll get assets if they retain salary, but I agree they have to add sweeteners and/or take back cap dumps, if they hope to move the full weight of that contract, especially in the current flat cap system.

I also think that, if a trade happens, it probably won’t exactly be something I’d agree with (and it will favour AZ more than I’d like to see). Just based on the way the market works in the NHL, with various inefficiencies and biases/blind spots built in, it’ll probably be something not in line with the way I view player values, when it comes to someone like OEL. Maybe I’m cynical, but I just have great faith in NHL GMs finding ways to justify making bad/risky decisions, especially on the financial side of their player acquisitions. ;) 

Perhaps you also have biases and blind spots. That's not to say they aren't present in NHL decision making, but just because something doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean there isn't any sense there to be made.

At any rate, I would guess it is unlikely OEL ends up here. I would also guess that right side defense is more of a priority at this point; unfortunately, it's a difficult position to build. 

23 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

It was widely known/reported that a first round pick was included in the deal.

Not sure if you genuinely want a source or if you're just being facetious.

This was wildly known? I paid pretty close attention to this trade last year and don't recall our first being in play. I recall the deal being 2nd and Virtanen being reported, and the Yotes asking for a 1st. The trade didn't happen, so I'm gonna assume the first was a no fly.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

moving out Schmidt for OEL as part of a bigger package does make sense. AZ can also expose Schmidt btw to Seattle if they want too. 

nothing wrong with that, if we're making other moves to bring in a new 3C. 

you need to tone down the "can't compete with 30 year olds" thing, have a look at the rosters left over in the playoffs. 

Have a look at our 30 year olds.

I rightfully dont have a lot of reasons to have faith in the pro scouting ability of this regime.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Have a look at our 30 year olds.

I rightfully dont have a lot of reasons to have faith in the pro scouting ability of this regime.

well, yeah thats been a thing. OEL comes with a heck of a track record tho. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, yeah thats been a thing. OEL comes with a heck of a track record tho. 

And a heck of a contract that adds significantly to his risk that it will end up dead weight sooner rather than later. Too many long term risky cap hits on our D already. 

If they can trade for OEL with 2.5 to 3 mil retained and shipping back Eriksson then trade Schmidt or Myers for a younger or lower term left comparable player to balance out the term risk overall, OEL would be a good add.

I dont see Arizona taking Myers or Schmidt as the whole point for them is escaping the long term cap. Maybe the dollars owed make that easier for them to swallow. But what is the likelihood Arizona is not on anyone's (read EVERYONE'S) ntc list?

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I think its more that schmidt left a bad taste in everyones mouth. Like me for one. I didnt see anything that made me think wow what a great dman. God i sure wanted to tho.

He only left a bad taste in people mouths who don't actually know anything. Schmidt is a great defenseman who had a down year on a team that was bad. There is no reason to give up on him over one horrible year.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Nucksownyou said:

He only left a bad taste in people mouths who don't actually know anything. Schmidt is a great defenseman who had a down year on a team that was bad. There is no reason to give up on him over one horrible year.

I saw a garbage dman i think someone seeing something fantastic is quite hilarious 

• RoughGame 2

Agree unless Arizona keeps 2.5 million a year salary of his cap hit it’s a big no no. 
And then cheap as well. Smidth had no trade clause and we only gave a 3 round pick. Oliver would be a 2  and a prospect tops including withholding 2.5