The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am a little optimistic about both Juolevi and Rathbone. I would like to see Juolevi with Schmidt and Rathbone with Myers. I think Shaw could do a lot with those pairings.

That leaves a big hole with Hughes though who, imo, needs a better partner than Hamonic beyond next season. If Hamonic signs for 1 year, I would actually be ok with at least seeing what those pairings could do under Shaw's influence. But I would prefer a younger, top level rhd to play with Hughes long term. Pre expansion might be the best opportunity to pry one of those guys out of another team at a reasonable cost.

There are not very many scenarios where I would want OEL.

I would love to see Shaw develop a pair of Hughes and Cal Foote. TB could  lose one of Cernak or Foote if they don’t pay off Seattle so I’d try awfully hard to insert myself into that conversation.

Just now, 4petesake said:

I would love to see Shaw develop a pair of Hughes and Cal Foote. TB could  lose one of Cernak or Foote if they don’t pay off Seattle so I’d try awfully hard to insert myself into that conversation.

I hope he is trying to go for either of those guys before Tampa does what we all know they will do. Make a deal with Seattle to get them out of cap hell and leave them their good young players.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think Edler will be re-signed. 2 years @ 4 million per with a nmc. 

The explanation will be he is the steadying, big minute shutdown dman Green needs to ease Juolevi and Rathbone in with a platoon on the 3rd pairing.

God I hope I am wrong. But it feels like it could happen.

God i hope not

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think Edler will be re-signed. 2 years @ 4 million per with a nmc. 

The explanation will be he is the steadying, big minute shutdown dman Green needs to ease Juolevi and Rathbone in with a platoon on the 3rd pairing.

God I hope I am wrong. But it feels like it could happen.

I sure hope that is INCORRECT, say good bye to OJ then if they keep the old guys around till retirement, that's the way to build a contender alright...

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Realistically, I do not believe that Benning/Green would want a Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone left side. I expect slmething like an Edler re-sign or an OEL trade. Both overvalue veteran players significantly so I expect changes there or Edler back to play top 4.

Sad but likely true...

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Edler made 6m with 0 goals for us...

Lol right we need to have at least one grossly over rated over paid underperforming player under contract I forgot.

Edler paid his dues here. It time to move on from him too thou. 

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Edler also doesn't come with term and is way better defensively.

Edler also took less than market value to stay in Vancouver with his last contract, and arguably the contract before that too 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Edler also took less than market value to stay in Vancouver with his last contract, and arguably the contract before that too 

Edler takes too much flak on these boards. He's still a reliable, physical Dman. The problem is with his deployment in that he logs way too many minutes imho. If nothing else the addition of Rathbone should help with that. If Edler is to be resigned it should be at a low cap hit. Low enough that he may even see some press box time as a fill in, maybe rest some in back to backs situations. 

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I dunno if any team besides the canucks woulda gave him 12 mill for 2 years. 

Easily. If you look at Edler's numbers for 2017/18 and 2018/19 he's put up back to back 34 point seasons in his early 30's while playing as our team's undisputed #1D. Whether he was a true #1 doesn't matter, because he was our de facto #1D. 

The fact he took a shorter term deal as opposed to pushing for a long-term deal makes the deal he took even better. He could have got more than 12m over 2 years as a ufa given his historical play. 

In fact, during his 18/19 season he put up 34 points in 56 games, that's very sellable as a pending ufa. And he followed it up with a 33 point season, he's been good. Last season he fell off, but given how &^@#ed up last season was for us I question whether it's a fair gauge for where Edler's game is currently at. 

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

Edler takes too much flak on these boards. He's still a reliable, physical Dman. The problem is with his deployment in that he logs way too many minutes imho. If nothing else the addition of Rathbone should help with that. If Edler is to be resigned it should be at a low cap hit. Low enough that he may even see some press box time as a fill in, maybe rest some in back to backs situations. 

If he's back it'll be short term, and at a smaller number, and people will still $&!# on him as if he's making 6m because that's just how things work. Which sucks, because you're right, he does get too much flak. But yeah, Edler playing fewer minutes is still a valuable player, at age 35 he shouldn't be our #1 workhorse anyway. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1