The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

15 minutes ago, rekker said:

Edler takes too much flak on these boards. He's still a reliable, physical Dman. The problem is with his deployment in that he logs way too many minutes imho. If nothing else the addition of Rathbone should help with that. If Edler is to be resigned it should be at a low cap hit. Low enough that he may even see some press box time as a fill in, maybe rest some in back to backs situations. 

He also elevated his game in the bubble.  You need guys like him to succeed in the playoffs.

• Cheers 4

On 6/23/2021 at 10:56 PM, EddieVedder said:

And a lot of clowns on this board wanted him on the nucks

Yep, and the guys on Sportsnet radio were pumping Gardiner up hard too. It was insane. It was as if so many Canuck fans and those radio hosts had never seen him play before. He was so, so bad. 

As for OEL, I’m sure Arizona is kicking themselves for not accepting the package that Benning offered last year because I’m sure it was a lot sweeter than anything being offered now. If we do get him, I’m cool with it but AZ would need to eat some of his salary. I just don’t see them doing that though with 6 years remaining on his contract. 

Edited by YearoftheNuck

6 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Yep, and the guys on Sportsnet radio were pumping Gardiner up hard too. It was insane. It was as if so many Canuck fans and those radio hosts had never seen him play before. He was so, so bad. 

As for OEL, I’m sure Arizona is kicking themselves for not accepting the package that Benning offer last year because I’m sure it was a lot sweeter than anything being offered now. If we do get him, I’m cool with it but AZ would need to eat some of the cap. I just don’t see them doing that though with 6 years remaining on his contract. 

That's a given.... anything Leafs related is treated with reverence while every decision/signing/asset we have is downplayed.   They're just lackies bumping up the brand.

• Cheers 1

On 6/23/2021 at 2:00 PM, King Heffy said:

Look at what Carolina gave Gardiner, who isn't even good enough to crack an NHL lineup.

Bear in mind though, the playoff team Canes are very deep on the blueline.  Granted, it doesn't mean Gardiner is a good player (he clearly isn't); only that it would actually mean alot more of a defenseman couldn't crack the Oilers blueline.

Not that I think OEL is an ideal trade target, but if we did end up moving on him (with cap retained which is the only way it could possibly make any sense)... I would want Dvorak coming back too.  He is owed more money than his cap hit, so could maybe be pried away from an Arizona team if it is looking to shed dollars.  He is a really good 3C who is fast, can PK, and pot in some offence as well

OEL with $2.25 million cap retained plus Dvorak saves them close to $13 million real dollars next season plus all that extra cash liability going forward in further years.

Taking back Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle costs them $8.7 in real dollars to fill 3 roster spots (or as low as $7.5 if Beagle is on LTIR)... at the same time it gives them $12 million in cap hit so they don't have to worry about hitting the cap floor.

In that deal they would want some futures... so Juolevi, DiPietro, and a couple of picks that aren't our 1st rounder would have to be on the table.

Edited by Provost
  • Vintage 2

52 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not that I think OEL is an ideal trade target, but if we did end up moving on him (with cap retained which is the only way it could possibly make any sense)... I would want Dvorak coming back too.  He is owed more money than his cap hit, so could maybe be pried away from an Arizona team if it is looking to shed dollars.  He is a really good 3C who is fast, can PK, and pot in some offence as well

OEL with $2.25 million cap retained plus Dvorak saves them close to $13 million real dollars next season plus all that extra cash liability going forward in further years.

Taking back Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle costs them $8.7 in real dollars to fill 3 roster spots (or as low as $7.5 if Beagle is on LTIR)... at the same time it gives them $12 million in cap hit so they don't have to worry about hitting the cap floor.

In that deal they would want some futures... so Juolevi, DiPietro, and a couple of picks that aren't our 1st rounder would have to be on the table.

cap space isn't AZ problem for next year so they should be willing to take on one year salary like this to move OEL. I don't see how they take on all that dead weight tho if the 1st isn't involved. 

42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

cap space isn't AZ problem for next year so they should be willing to take on one year salary like this to move OEL. I don't see how they take on all that dead weight tho if the 1st isn't involved. 

If you consider all the future liability they are shedding that is where I don’t think we should add our first.

We take away $60 million in cash liability ($70 million total minus what they would retain on OEL) from them in exchange for $8.7 million in cash.

Edited by Provost
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

If you consider all the future liability they are shedding that is where I don’t think we should add our first.

We take away $60 million in cash liability from them in exchange for $8.7 million in cash.

good point. 

Bennings comments recently do make me wonder if he's moved on from OEL and is looking more for bigger bodes that can defend and bring some snarl., vs. puck moving/scoring types. 

My spidey sense thinks OEL is going to Boston. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good point. 

Bennings comments recently do make me wonder if he's moved on from OEL and is looking more for bigger bodes that can defend and bring some snarl., vs. puck moving/scoring types. 

My spidey sense thinks OEL is going to Boston. 

I would much rather get bigger bodies... if the option is out there.  I have mentioned a few times that a 2nd pairing of Zadorov-Ristolainen would be a pretty good complement to who we have now.  It would necessitate moving out one of Schmidt/Myers probably but that isn't the end of the world.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

OEL is a smart vet, who thinks the game at a high level, so he could play the right side with us too.  

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I would much rather get bigger bodies... if the option is out there.  I have mentioned a few times that a 2nd pairing of Zadorov-Ristolainen would be a pretty good complement to who we have now.  It would necessitate moving out one of Schmidt/Myers probably but that isn't the end of the world.

I’d move Schmidt before Myers, but what’s the cost to do so?  

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I'd like one for sure, two could be pretty hard to pull off. I would think OJ for Zadorov would be a no-brainer for CHI at this point in their rebuild. If OJ actually turns into a top 4, or even a 2/3 that could come back to bite us tho. 

Risto... I'm scared of the cost both in terms of assets and salary. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I’d move Schmidt before Myers, but what’s the cost to do so?  

Post expansion would net us decent assets back one would imagine.. not cost us anything.  There will be a bunch of teams that just lost a top 4D who have playoff/Cup aspirations and will want to replace that body.

That is a leverage point we have and most teams don't... extra protection slots on defence that we can take on a player or two before expansion and then (assuming Myers wouldn't be picked up), selling a body or two after expansion.

• Vintage 1