The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canuck backup plans on Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli

On 10/5/2020 at 9:35 PM, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

If things go like how 2020 has gone all year and Markstrom and Tanev leave with Toffoli what are the Free Agent backup plans

I think these three options are the best on the UFA market and in no particular order

Markstrom replacement 

- Greiss 

- Crawford

- Lunquist 

- Jimmy Howard

Tanev Replacement 

- Barrie

- Vatanen

- Hamonic

Toffoli Replacement 

- resign Virtanen

- Hoffman 

- Hall (only if it is a few year deal, NO LONG TERM DEAL for Hall)

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Roussel-Wenneberg-Leivo

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Vatanen

Juolevi-Benn

Demko

Schneider

Gaudette + Rathbone + 2021 1st + Eriksson for OEL

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

if the Canucks plan to replace Toffoli with Hoglander and Joulevi to replace Tanev then they won't make the playoffs. Hoglander should not be higher then a 3rd liner in his rookie year and Juolevi should be made to fight to win a spot and not given one and Chatfield is at best pushing Benn for 7th defenseman. 

If the Nucks doesn't free up enough cap space, there is a limit as to what they could do.  However, going forward the good news is that more of the team's bad contracts will be expiring which means there will be more funds to improve the team.

4 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Roussel-Wenneberg-Leivo

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Vatanen

Juolevi-Benn

Demko

Schneider

Gaudette + Rathbone + 2021 1st + Eriksson for OEL

I'd rather sign Turris over Wennberg

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

I'd rather sign Turris over Wennberg

Wenneberg is much better defensively is he not?

I also feel that Wenneberg can still get back to where he was in terms of his offense.

History has shown that some players completely shut down when they have to play for a “tough” coach like Tortorella and Keenan.  Some players just completely shut down when they get chewed out.  I suspect that Wenneberg was one of those players and that he can still be salvaged.

I didn't realize Craig Smith was a UFA until Sportsnet just covered him but I could see the Canucks kicking the tires on him as an alternative to Toffoli.  He's older than Toffoli but he's solid at both ends of the rink and has generally been a 20G scorer.  He's coming off a bit of an off year but he seems like the kind of player that might mesh well with either Petey or Bo.  Could have lesser contract demands than Toffoli.

Another thought is that I wonder if Cory Schneider could still find his way back into the Canucks' organization.  The Canucks only have DiPietro as their 3rd stringer right now so they need depth at goaltending.

I frankly do not see Cory getting much of a shot in the NHL.  As a backup, maybe, but even then I think he might have a hard time finding work given how many goalies are available right now.  Considering he most recently played in New Jersey, I wonder if he would be open to splitting duties with DiPietro with Utica.  Cory could still fill in at the NHL level in the event of injuries.

I’m very happy about the Holtby deal.  Great support for Demko which can help Demko ease into the number one spot.  Holtby can be exposed in the Expansion draft as well.  Sad to see Markstrom go, but he deserves a big pay day.     

Canucks seem to want to bring Tanev back while being willing to let go of Toffoli, but I would strongly advise doing the opposite.

-Let Tanev walk

-Sign Toffoli

-Move Brock for a young defensively minded RD. 

As it relates to my Brock idea, perhaps the Canucks already attempted to do that (with both Brock and Virtanen but felt that the offers coming back weren’t acceptable?).

Either way - I would try and find someone better than Tanev even if we’re not bringing Toffoli back.  

• Cheers 1

Things have changed. They didn't get better in goal. They lost out on the OEL deal. They might lose Tanev and Stecher. 

I think Benning circles back and re-signs Tanev, because they'll need even better D without Markstrom. And maybe Benning signs another Dman. Can't see how they can afford Toffoli. They might have to do some patch work with the forwards, give the young guys more opportunity, maybe even bring Baertschi back and Lind gets a shot.  

we are pretty hamstrung till next year, we get the spooner buyout off the books, edler, suter, beagle etc.  a lot of that will be spent in raises for the rookies.  

i think we have 7mil to spend between toffy and tanev currently.  it looks like fast, HAULA, dadanov, Sheary,  might be an option if tanev signs a longer term lower AAV deal.  we may have to go after some RFA's instead.

Racking my brain trying to figure out who Benning may be going after. Maybe he's still trying to make a deal to bring in a RD. Hate to say it, but PK Subban make $9 per (next 2 years), and I'm sure NJ wouldn't mind that cap hit off the books. Could be a way to rid the Eriksson and Sutter contracts. Or maybe he circles back to Dumba. I think Benning would like to improve the offense from the D and I wonder if that's why Tanev hasn't been re-signed yet. Is Benning going after a bigger fish?

1 year deal for Ceci?  Former 1st round pick, good size 6'2", RHD, mobile, was entrusted to play up the lineup but elevated his partners on the bottom pair.
If he can Juolevi can be a safe, smart, mobile 3rd pair I'd love for that, plus he's only 26.  Then we'd need to add a 3rd pair RD (unless we bump Hughes over and play Rathbone and Juolevi as LD2 and LD3 which might be a bit too much to ask?).  Would totally be open to this group below:  

Edler - Vatanen (big minute pair, and Edler can spring Vatanen)
Hughes - Myers (they were a good pair from what I remember?)
Juolevi - Ceci

Curious as to whether we can bring Toffoli back, would be great to have him in the fold with the remaining cap.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

1 year deal for Ceci?  Former 1st round pick, good size 6'2", RHD, mobile, was entrusted to play up the lineup but elevated his partners on the bottom pair.
If he can Juolevi can be a safe, smart, mobile 3rd pair I'd love for that, plus he's only 26.  Then we'd need to add a 3rd pair RD (unless we bump Hughes over and play Rathbone and Juolevi as LD2 and LD3 which might be a bit too much to ask?).  Would totally be open to this group below:  

Juolevi - Ceci

Curious as to whether we can bring Toffoli back, would be great to have him in the fold with the remaining cap.

I would go for the same 6 D as you suggested, but with one change.  I would sign Hamonic instead of Ceci to pair with Juolevi.  Hamonic has more grit and can fight if needed as well, which are traits that we should have in at least one of our top 6 D (now that Borowiecki is no longer an option).

• Like 1

If the Canucks key signings this offseason are Holtby and Barrie and only other minor moves are made, then they could fit under the cap with a roster of:

JT Miller $5.250 Elias Pettersson $0.925 Brock Boeser $5.875
Tanner Pearson $3.750 Bo Horvat $5.500 Sven Baertschi $3.367
Antoine Roussel $3.000 Adam Gaudette $3.000 Jake Virtanen $3.000
Tyler Motte $1.225 Jay Beagle $3.000 Zack MacEwen $0.825
- $0.000 Nick Shore $0.950 - $0.000

LD   RD      
Quinn Hughes $0.917 Tyler Myers $6.000    
Alex Edler $6.000 Tyson Barrie $4.750    
Olli Juolevi $0.863 Brogan Rafferty $0.700    
Jordie Benn $2.000 Jalen Chatfield $0.700    

G1   G2      
Braden Holtby $4.300 Thatcher Demko $1.050    

This assumes:

• a signing of a depth C like Nick Shore (who I think could be a good depth pick up). 
  • demotion of Eriksson to Utica ($1.085M in savings); and
  • demotion of Sutter to Utica ($1.085M in savings).

This also accounts for the $1.7M in overages this season and for Ferland not being on LTIR.  If Ferland does end up on LTIR all year, then there technically would be $3.5M in additional "space".  I'm not sure how realistic it is for Baertschi to figure into the top-6 next season so if management has information indicating that Ferland cannot play next year, then they could use the $3.5M to sign a middle-6 forward like Leivo or someone else that might not cost too much.  The alternative is to basically swap out Baertschi and Ferland assuming Ferland can play.

D pairings are purely speculative obviously and I don't think coaching will run a rookie pairing but I also don't see them playing Hughes and Barrie together. That leaves Edler to play with Rafferty and Juolevi to play with Barrie.  Benn might figure into the line-up periodically also.

Is this line-up better than last year's?  Probably not and definitely not better than the line-up that went to Game 7 against Vegas.  It's still a respectable line-up IMO however and preserves the Canucks' ability to deal with the expansion draft and next year's re-signings of Pettersson and Hughes.  If Virtanen can up his game and play consistently next season, then I think there chances improve a bit and if Hoglander can come over and make an impact right away, I think that would just further help to improve the line-up or at least the forwards.  The D still needs a lot of work though Juolevi could surprise.

15 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Juolevi - Ceci

honestly if we could sign Ceci to a cheap 1 year deal I’d let him Juolevi and Benn battle for the bottom pairing spots

I like signing vatanen but term and money would be important. He’s not proven he can stay healthy.

the d core you’ve proposed Of:

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Vatanen

Juolevi-Ceci

Benn

I like more than:

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Stecher

Juolevi-Benn