The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TAMPA Salary Cap Issue

Rate this topic

The salary cap is $81,500,000.  Tampa currently has $2,895,834 in cap space available with 18 players signed.  The have 3 RFA's to sign, Sergachev, Cernak and Cirelli.  

Teams are allowed during the offseason to be above the cap by a maximum of 10% until the season starts.  So that would add another temporary $8,150,000 to Tampa's cap space until the new season starts, presumably January 1.  So total cap space for the next two months would be $11,045,834.

What if all 3 of Sergachev, Cernak and Cirelli were offer sheeted where their combined salaries would be over $11,100,000?  Tampa could not match all 3.  They put Johnson on waivers but if he is not picked up his full salary still counts against the cap.

I'm wondering if GM's are calling each other to figure this out.  I mean Tampa just won the Cup so nobody is feeling sorry for them.  This is a very interesting situation.  I think realistically Tampa is going to lose 2 of those RFA players unless they are willing to give up picks and/or prospects to shed cap with other players under contract.

Stamkos, Killorn, Palat, Gourde could all be had for pennies on the dollar.  Or 3 teams could step up and offer sheet Sergachev, Cernak and Cirelli.  This will be an interesting offseason for the Stanley Cup champions.

10 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

how about rafferty and a 4th round pick for cernak  or a second and brisebois? louie and baer to utica, move jake and benn for picks and sign toffoli.

Brisebois made it very clear that he has absolutely no interest in trading Cernak, Sergachev or Cirelli.  He says they are still so young and just starting to show what they can do.  He says they'll need these guys if they want to win another Cup.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

Brisebois made it very clear that he has absolutely no interest in trading Cernak, Sergachev or Cirelli.  He says they are still so young and just starting to show what they can do.  He says they'll need these guys if they want to win another Cup.  

Have to wonder if they're willing to part with picks or prospects to move out some of that cap.

I figure they would be not to keen on prospects that are close since they're gonna need some of that cheap value they bring.

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Have to wonder if they're willing to part with picks or prospects to move out some of that cap.

I figure they would be not to keen on prospects that are close since they're gonna need some of that cheap value they bring.

Some of their players probably would generate some interest but the NTC is an issue.  Some are wondering if putting Johnson on waivers was not a way to get around that.  Should know in about 20 minutes if he got picked up.  They could have other players on waivers if they refuse to waive.  Only Stamkos among the non-untouchable has a full NMC.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

Some of their players probably would generate some interest but the NTC is an issue.  Some are wondering if putting Johnson on waivers was not a way to get around that.  Should know in about 20 minutes if he got picked up.  They could have other players on waivers if they refuse to waive.  Only Stamkos among the non-untouchable has a full NMC.  

They're probably trying really hard to move Killorn since everyone else has a NTC and his is limited. 

Even if they managed to get rid of one of their guys Killorn/Palat/Johnson it could only be enough to sign 2 of their RFAs.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They're probably trying really hard to move Killorn since everyone else has a NTC and his is limited. 

Even if they managed to get rid of one of their guys Killorn/Palat/Johnson it could only be enough to sign 2 of their RFAs.

They are looking to clear about 10M.   Also some smaller contracts like Coburn who has a NTC.

14 minutes ago, mll said:

He cleared waivers.

Damn. I wonder what options they'll have.

If they'd have to part ways with one of their RFAs who do think it would be? I know they want them all back but if push comes to shove IDK how they can make that possible.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Damn. I wonder what options they'll have.

If they'd have to part ways with one of their RFAs who do think it would be? I know they want them all back but if push comes to shove IDK how they can make that possible.

I think Sergachev is their priority out of the 3.  Cirelli is probably second as they have an aging forward group.  Cernak is probably the most likely to go if it gets to that point as they have Cal Foote in the wings who can step up and play with the big club next year.  However, even then without Shattenkirk and Bogosian they still have a big hole on the right side unless they plan to play Schenn 20 minutes a night.

So if they sign all three RFA's to new contracts adding up to $12 million and manage to get rid of Johnson, Palat and Gourde that would give them around $6 million in cap space with only 18 players signed.  They'd have to sign 5 more players on minimum contracts just to fill out the roster.  Plus they don't have a second round pick next year, so how are they going to move $15 million worth of contracts with very little capital and with all 3 guys having NTC's?  Me thinks Tampa is fooked...

I can see someone making an offer sheet to Sergachev in the $5 million range.  Tampa couldn't possibly match that.

This may seem counterintuitive but the more I think about Tampa's cap issue, the more appealing an offer sheet is for Tampa as much as the acquiring team.  Could this be the first year that GMs are making phone calls asking other teams to make offer sheets for their own players?  We've just seen TOR dump Andreas Johnsson for next to nothing.  Cap strapped teams might prefer to recoup picks for RFA compensation rather than trade contracted players for very little. Just a thought.  

• Upvote 1

As if Killorn and Palat won’t be desired by other GMs.

I can’t see TBL having to beg teams to take them away for a pick or something cap-friendly. Tampa is against the wall, but their options should result in less bleeding than is being prophesied everywhere I look here. 

What would you trade to get Killorn here for the next few years? A first? A second? Jake Virtanen? I mean, most teams will offer a decent, cheaper roster player and a pick, that’s just good investing, in my books, if you’re serious about upgrading your middle 6. 

There are several other players whose value is similar, but on different terms. This is where teams move term around and essentially buy other teams draft picks by taking on unfavourable contracts while the team has spending power, which the Canucks do, but could have much more if JB wanted to go there. 

Each GM saw the Cup final and enough of TBL to know what each of their players is worth and who they’d like on their team. I’m guessing it’s more of a bidding war than most people think, which is pretty cool. Yzerman set them up pretty good. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

As if Killorn and Palat won’t be desired by other GMs.

I can’t see TBL having to beg teams to take them away for a pick or something cap-friendly. Tampa is against the wall, but their options should result in less bleeding than is being prophesied everywhere I look here. 

What would you trade to get Killorn here for the next few years? A first? A second? Jake Virtanen? I mean, most teams will offer a decent, cheaper roster player and a pick, that’s just good investing, in my books, if you’re serious about upgrading your middle 6. 

There are several other players whose value is similar, but on different terms. This is where teams move term around and essentially buy other teams draft picks by taking on unfavourable contracts while the team has spending power, which the Canucks do, but could have much more if JB wanted to go there. 

Each GM saw the Cup final and enough of TBL to know what each of their players is worth and who they’d like on their team. I’m guessing it’s more of a bidding war than most people think, which is pretty cool. Yzerman set them up pretty good. 

Given they waived Tyler Johnson I have to wonder how much of a bidding war there'll actually be. Seemed like a move made outta desperation. Or maybe it was just blind hope someone would take him and they figured it wasn't likely. I don't see a lot of teams lining up to take Tampa's late 20s to early 30s players. And I would bet the teams that would consider it are on those players no trade lists. It's not a terrible position to be in. Just won a cup and even if you lose one or two of those RFAs for draft pick compensation your team is still decently stacked going forward.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Given they waived Tyler Johnson I have to wonder how much of a bidding war there'll actually be. Seemed like a move made outta desperation.

Or maybe it was just blind hope someone would take him and they figured it wasn't likely. I don't see a lot of teams lining up to take Tampa's late 20s to early 30s players. And I would bet the teams that would consider it are on those players no trade lists.

It's not a terrible position to be in. Just won a cup and even if you lose one or two of those RFAs for draft pick compensation your team is still decently stacked going forward.

You wouldn’t have any room to cite Johnson here if his contact term wasn’t what it is, which is a poor comparable to the others I actually cited as being ‘bidding war’ candidates, not boat anchors (the players or their contracts) on a fire sale. 

Once a NTC owing player feels the rejection of being asked to consider being traded, there is a enough chance that Ego gets involved and the player accepts to go where he is wanted. It’s a proven motivator, with many examples for both sides to cite. 

I think they are in the drivers seat and have some time before they need to worry about getting into their wedding dress again. I think it’s silly to imagine and spin a narrative claiming how poorly situated they are, when they have time and excellent role players on decent contracts to dangle for whatever, as long as it’s cap friendly. 

They could flip their returns several times before they need to be under the cap. It’s going to be interesting to see. We know like 1% of what is available out there through the rumour mill, which is typically a bunch of crap anyways. It’s tough for us to speculate going on next to no discussion from other GMs on interest and availability of other players. Waste of time really, but here we are!