The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs sign Zach Bogosian

2 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

They didn't buyout Johnson, they waived him, but the buyout period has closed.

And that would make their situation even worse unless someone claims Johnson. Johnson would then become their first choice for a cap dump trade. I had forgotten the buyout period was over.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

And that would make their situation even worse unless someone claims Johnson. Johnson would then become their first choice for a cap dump trade. I had forgotten the buyout period was over.

Yep. Something's gotta give in Tampa. A Hughes-Cernak first pairing has got me dreaming, and one of Johnson/Killorn could replace Toff on Horvat's wing.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Then you realize if you leave early you don't have to clean up the mess.

As early as next year, I’ll be ready to load up, but not yet. 
The rebuild is barely over as far as the core is concerned, which we project to include hogs and pods. Why load up before they prove they are impact players? 

I want JB to sit on his hands in UFA, but get dirty in trades. Trade for a few players types missing in the Vegas run. Target young impact players and do what it takes to get them, instead of buying tomorrow’s problem contacts which will limit the actual core’s chances. 

Hold off, JB.  

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Getting kind of worried that we'll be left scrambling to just put together an NHL level d group.  

Same. Tanev and Stecher aren’t exactly irreplaceable, so I’m not sure why Benning isn’t able to at the very least plug one hole on FA. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

Seems Benning is only willing to acquire a Dman in a trade, and a part of that trade needs to include Eriksson or Sutter. Not an easy task, especially this year. Teams are trying to unload cap and they're signing players cheaper than normal. I'm not sure there are teams that can afford to take on cap, or how many actual trading partners Jim has. Really don't want to look back at last year an an anomaly, and go back to losing and waiting for Draft Day. So, 2 more years of pain and then we're good?

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Seems Benning is only willing to acquire a Dman in a trade, and a part of that trade needs to include Eriksson or Sutter. Not an easy task, especially this year. Teams are trying to unload cap and they're signing players cheaper than normal. I'm not sure there are teams that can afford to take on cap, or how many actual trading partners Jim has. Really don't want to look back at last year an an anomaly, and go back to losing and waiting for Draft Day. So, 2 more years of pain and then we're good?

If the team regresses and misses the playoffs, and the defense is still a glaring issue, Benning is gone. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Why would Tampa give up cheap, young, capable Dmen, to shed salary? 
Seems counterintuitive.

Well it doesn’t make a lot of sense for them to move Foote since he is salary controlled and cheap for a while.  Cernak needs to get paid now.

They could come to the conclusion they can’t sign all of Sergachev, Cirrelli, and Cernak.  Right now they can’t sign any of them.

In that case, they could trade Cernak and just slot Foote into his spot as a cheap and ready replacement.   They could also decide that they can’t move Johnson and trade Cirelli instead.

They need to move Killorn plus another big contract just to fit two of their three RFAs, I don’t think they can move three big contracts in these market conditions.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Yep. Something's gotta give in Tampa. A Hughes-Cernak first pairing has got me dreaming, and one of Johnson/Killorn could replace Toff on Horvat's wing.

Yep, that is exactly how I figured a trade could shake out for both sides.

Gaudette and a 2nd

for

Cernak and Johnson

As a natural centre, Johnson could either play as a top 6 winger or a 3C who can PK and produce some offence as well as mentoring Hoglander and Podkolzin on a 3rd line

It would be nice not to have to give up that 2nd, or get them to eat $1 million of Johnson... but Cernak is worth a lot.  He played almost 21 minutes a game during the playoffs on a championship calibre team.  He would be a top pairing guy for us day 1 and fits right in our age range.

It would mean we could easily afford to run with two rookies on D if we couldn’t find another cheap veteran.

Edler-Rafferty and Juolevi-Myers.

Of course something like a Virtanen + for Risto would work for us too... I just hope JB can pull off something...

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Yep, that is exactly how I figured a trade could shake out for both sides.

Gaudette and a 2nd

for

Cernak and Johnson

It would be nice not to have to give up that 2nd, or get them to eat $1 million of Johnson... but Cernak is worth a lot.  He played almost 21 minutes a game during the playoffs on a championship calibre team.  He would be a top pairing guy for us day 1 and fits right in our age range.

It would mean we could easily afford to run with two rookies on D if we couldn’t find another cheap veteran.

Edler-Rafferty and Juolevi-Myers.

Of course something like a Virtanen + for Risto would work for us too... I just hope JB can pull off something...

I think Gaudette is a good fit for Tampa cuz with sheltered minutes he can replace the offense they're bound to lose. I wonder if they'd prefer Kole Lind over a 2nd, but either way would be fine to me. I know Brisebois is in a rush to "replenish" his prospect pool - hence why he traded his 2021 2nd round pick for a 2020 2nd round pick.

Cernak was considered to be playing on the shutdown pairing of the cup winning team, I agree, he's definitely worth a lot alone. Johnson on other hand, after passing waivers, clearly has negative value this year. (After watching him all playoffs, I still think he's a solid top-9 player who can be trusted in all 3 forward positions).

Adding Cernak and Juolevi over Tanev and Fantenberg is a big upgrade to me - on a team that was top-8 last year - both defensively (Cernak > Tanev) and with the breakout issues (Juolevi > Fanta in that area). But I think they'd still need to find someone to replace Stecher, I don't quite trust that Rafferty or Chatfield are there. I imagine Chatfield makes it as a 8th defenseman.

I think Coburn can play both sides, so he could be added to the deal - which would also help Tampa. Madison Bowey interests me as a Stech replacement as well, his TOI ticked up pretty close to first pairing by the end of the season.

• Upvote 1