The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

We lack Center depth. Thats no joke. 

MacTavish wouldn't solve our IMMEDIATE need for one though. I'd have to think he's at least one full season away. Granlund had a very good season in Nashville and looked awesome vs. the Canes in round 1. He'd be an unbelievable 3rd line centre option for us. 

I'm not against drafting a centre, but you could justify taking Guenther and exploring other avenues to add to our C depth. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

McTavish wouldn't solve our IMMEDIATE need for one though. I'd have to think he's at least one full season away. Granlund had a very good season in Nashville and looked awesome vs. the Canes in round 1. He'd be an unbelievable 3rd line centre option for us. 

can they do both?

6 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

For sure. But in a world where Benning believes that Guenther is the indisputable BPA, the 9th pick wouldn't be the time and place to add to our centre depth.

Pick 41 should be able to nab us a pretty good third line center prospect I would think.

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I have heard that there are some great prospects at the top of next year's draft, but is it considered deep?

I believe it is, absolutely. Certainly through the first round at least. Hard to say about the Canadian crop, since so many of them hardly got a chance to play this year, if at all.

The Russian crop will be their best in years. The top line on their U18 team this year featured elite power forwards and potential top five picks Danila Yurov and Ivan Miroshnichenko; and Arseni Koromyslov was arguably their best defensemen. Then there's Ilya Kvochko, Ruslan Gazizov and the enigmatic mutant Gleb Trikozov. Slovakia's group looks to have their most high-end talent since the days of Hossa and Gaborik, led by potential top five pick Simon Nemec, and then the small but ultra-skilled winger Filip Mesar, and 6'4 center Juraj Slafkovsky. Finland and Sweden both look strong; maybe not unusually so, but at least up to their usual high standard. Some think Salomonsson could challenge for a spot in the top five, and then Noah Ostlund and Filip Bystedt are on track so far to be potential first rounders by any draft's standards. For Finland, besides Brad Lambert, Joakim Kemell's skill level is bananas and he loves to dangle. The Czechs have a couple of stud defensemen in Tomas Hamara and David Jiricek. Even Germany has a bit of a phenom in this kid called Julian Lutz, who already had identical p/g to surefire 2021 first rounder Francesco Pinelli in AlpsHL this year, and even got into some games in Austria's top league, ICEHL, where he put up the best p/g ever by a U17 in that league. They're coming from everywhere over there man. Overall looks like one of the best European crops in many years.

In North America, the NTDP looks pretty stacked too; nothing like the 2019 class, but definitely better than the last couple years. Seamus Casey, Isaac Howard, Rutger McGroarty and Frank Nazar look like probable first rounders, but Logan Cooley, Devin Kaplan, Cutter Gauthier, Cruz Lucius, Ryan Chesley and Lane Hutson could be names to watch as well.

Canada is the big question mark. We didn't have a strong showing at YOGs. There's a few superstars at the top in Shane Wright, Matthew Savoie and Tristan Luneau, but after that I'm not sure. Out of the Dub, defensemen Denton Mateychuk and Mats Lindgren look pretty legit, and power forward Conor Geekie put up some serious numbers once the league got started. Big center Nathan Gaucher had a really solid year in the Q. From the OHL, I really liked Danil Zhilkin at both U17s and U18s, and I've read good things about Liam Arnsby.

Canada is always going to be 30+% of the draft, so If it ends up being an above average class for Canada, this could be one of the all-time great drafts. If the Canadian class is just average or below, it is still a very strong draft.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Again, I really like the general idea behind your picks, much like @janisahockeynut, but I really can't see Wallstedt going that high.  I really hope that I'm wrong, but I think that he'll go somewhere between 12th to 20th....  which brings me to the fact that we will have to settle for McTavish or one of the 1B prospects. 

Anyways good list! 

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Detroit is a team that I could see trading back maybe multiple times, picking up a few 2nds and still nabbing Wallstedt.

Pretty sure Stevie Y is notorious for that.

If Benning wants to be aggressive and move up to 6 because there’s a stud like Clarke there I have no problem giving up our 2nd. The need for a player like Clarke is that high.

Stevie Y and the Detroit staff are the wild card in this for sure.  It all depends on what they think the difference in talent is between Wallstedt and Cossa and if they think one of them  ( mostly Cossa) will be there with their Washington 1st round pick.  I think Chicago takes one of them as they don't really have much depth in G and they take Wallstedt if he is there at 12.  If they are set on taking a goalie and it being Wallstedt then they may not take a chance to go further back than 10th the Ottawa pick.

Stevie with his first pick in 2019 went a bit off board to take the big German Dman Moritz Seider, that's why I think he may take the goalie at 6.  Lets hope he does :)

If Clarke is there at 6th I could see Benning moving up to nab him and Stevie moving back to our 9th to get his goalie and an extra pick or prospect  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is true. Other than Focht and maybe Zlodeyev, there's really nothing.  We're almost back to - Zhukenov is our C hope lol

Rating the Cs?

1. Eklund

2. Beniers

3. Johnson

4. McTavish

5. Lucius

6. Sillinger

7. Svechkov

I understand Eklund played center in junior, and I'm not sure what the buzz is around how he projects long term, but he's played predominantly on the wing this year. Same goes for Johnson, he was Beniers trusty sidekick all year. M best guess is they're both wingers in the NHL. Lucius is a curious case. Traditionally a pure goal-scorer with questionable defense would project as a winger, but he seems to excel at creating goals through the middle of the ice, a la Mika Zibanejad.

4 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Stevie Y and the Detroit staff are the wild card in this for sure.  It all depends on what they think the difference in talent is between Wallstedt and Cossa and if they think one of them  ( mostly Cossa) will be there with their Washington 1st round pick.  I think Chicago takes one of them as they don't really have much depth in G and they take Wallstedt if he is there at 12.  If they are set on taking a goalie and it being Wallstedt then they may not take a chance to go further back than 10th the Ottawa pick.

Stevie with his first pick in 2019 went a bit off board to take the big German Dman Moritz Seider, that's why I think he may take the goalie at 6.  Lets hope he does :)

If Clarke is there at 6th I could see Benning moving up to nab him and Stevie moving back to our 9th to get his goalie and an extra pick or prospect  

It may be tough for fans to give up another 2nd and even a prospect but you gotta consider how much a number 1 stud defenseman would cost when fully developed. They’re gonna cost more than that.

If Benning is gonna be aggressive it should be in walking away from the draft with a blue chip D man.

• Cheers 4

Might be a pipe dream but I also wonder if Colorado would entertain trading Byram for our 9th and 41st.

I mean they already have Makar and Girard, and Grubauer could potentially be pricing himself out for them meaning they’ll need a goalie in the pipeline.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It may be tough for fans to give up another 2nd and even a prospect but you gotta consider how much a number 1 stud defenseman would cost when fully developed. They’re gonna cost more than that.

If Benning is gonna be aggressive it should be in walking away from the draft with a blue chip D man.

For sure especially in a draft year like this where the scouting was done remotely the difference in player caliber could be huge especially for D. For whatever reason I feel like Clarke will be the best of the bunch just has I thought Werenski was better than Hanafin and the best of the top 3 talked about D in that 2015 draft.  Add to that, that he is a RD for me that is a slam dunk pick.

The fact that the Canucks have all of their first 3 picks, if they move their 2nd to move up and get Clarke, I'd be really happy as I know they can very likely get a really good C with that 3rd round pick such as a Red Savage.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Instead of stupid rumours that Miller and Schmidt want to be traded, can we get our local media to run with this rumour?  

This would just make a ton of sense of either Eklund or Clarke are available at 6. 

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Might be a pipe dream but I also wonder if Colorado would entertain trading Byram for our 9th and 41st.

I mean they already have Makar and Girard, and Grubauer could potentially be pricing himself out for them meaning they’ll need a goalie in the pipeline.

Another LHD 

/sigh

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Instead of stupid rumours that Miller and Schmidt want to be traded, can we get our local media to run with this rumour?  

This would just make a ton of sense of either Eklund or Clarke are available at 6. 

That would just be too much good news and good vibrations going out to our team and fanbase.  That doesn't sell their (papers), direct traffic to their twitter, insta, wannabe blogs etc. or allow all the louts to cry foul on everything

A thing I’m curious to know is what direction Seattle will go. They will go either D or FWD. Beniers and Clarke would be solid options for them at 2 assuming Power goes #1 to Buf. I doubt this will happen but imagine if they pick say Wallstedt. That would be something. It’d change the complexion of the draft. In regards with our team, D is obviously a need but I have a feeling we’ll be going BPA. Unless a player like Clarke, Guenther, etc, drops into our lap, it seemingly looks likely that we will pick a forward. McTavish, Eklund, Johnson are all going to be available and I think that we are going to pick one of them. I’d be excited to end up with anyone of those 3.

• Cheers 1