The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

This NHL.com mock draft done by 2 different writers underscores how little consensus there is in this year's draft: https://www.nhl.com/news/mock-2021-nhl-draft-buffalo-has-top-pick-seattle-pick-second/c-325164100

1. Buffalo: Owen Power
  2. Seattle: Matthew Beniers
  3. Anaheim: Guenther / Edvinsson
  4. New Jersey: Clarke / Hughes
  5. Columbus: Edvinsson / Eklund
  6. Detroit: Wallstedt / McTavish
  7. San Jose: Eklund / Johnson
  8. LA: Hughes / Guenther
  9. Vancouver: Johnson / Clarke
  10. Ottawa: Matthew Coronato / Wallstedt
  11. Chicago: Chaz Lucius / Carson Lambos
  12. Calgary: Cole Sillinger / Coronato
  13. Philly: Mctavish / Sillinger
  14. Dallas: Corson Ceulemans / Nikita Chibrikov
  15. New York: Brennan Othmann
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, bruceybruce said:

As a lifelong Blazers fan i would be delighted if Stankoven made it to our second pick and we took him, although i am conflicted because there are some interesting RHD that should be available also. We need more picks! (I think this every draft)

As much as I like Stankoven and I really like him. I don't see how he fits the Canucks. The reality is he's 5'8 he's a thikk 5'8 so was Schroeder if you compare the 2 in their draft year and before I take Schroeder twice on sunday over Stankoven and we all know how that worked out. 

The reality is at his size you have to be ridiculously good. And even If he were to beat the odds I just don't think the Canucks can create the environment for him to be successful. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

A thing I’m curious to know is what direction Seattle will go. They will go either D or FWD.

I don't know, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see Wallstedt go 2nd overall. SEA will need a star goaltender for their future. Build from the net out.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, bruceybruce said:

As a lifelong Blazers fan i would be delighted if Stankoven made it to our second pick and we took him, although i am conflicted because there are some interesting RHD that should be available also. We need more picks! (I think this every draft)

we took a small guy over a rhd with a recent 2nd, don't think we should continue to do that as it won't help build depth in areas of need. Just like it won't if we draft yet another lhd.

Korzak was my pick over Hoglander, we need more RHD Mr. Canuck GM. You can pick more midgets in later rounds like that waste of a pick from Russia a couple years back, that guy was 5'6 or some $&!#...what a dumb pick, unless the guy is built like Hog, Gallagher or Arvidsson they will never be able to make the jump, even in this soft era of the NHL

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

we took a small guy over a rhd with a recent 2nd, don't think we should continue to do that as it won't help build depth in areas of need. Just like it won't if we draft yet another lhd.

Korzak was my pick over Hoglander, we need more RHD Mr. Canuck GM. You can pick more midgets in later rounds like that waste of a pick from Russia a couple years back, that guy was 5'6 or some $&!#...what a dumb pick, unless the guy is built like Hog, Gallagher or Arvidsson they will never be able to make the jump, even in this soft era of the NHL

Are you seriously upset about 6th round pick Atrym Manukian 

They all agreed on the Manukyan pick for the record.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have been thinking about our defensemen this morning, and what we really have here, is 2 really good young defensemen in Hughes and Rathbone. While they are great, they will not be their best until they have complimentary players with them. So, until the defense is complete , we will continue to have discussions of what we should do.

So, it is with that in mind, that we should look at our short term and long term requirements.

So, my immediate question is who do we get to play with Hughes? People say Hamonic, and I really think he is a step down from what we are needed, and we really do not have the assets to be trading for one, because when you pull from one area to shore up that area, you enviably weaken the area, you were pulling from. If you want quality, you have to pay for quality, or you end up taking someone else's problems.

Reclamation projects seldom work, and although it is easy to point out the successful ones, people seldom list the unsuccessful ones, and there is 10 X as many of them. Is it worth a try, sure, but not in an area, that is important.

So, it is with that that I feel, we look trade or UFA, for our short term fix, and trade or draft, for our long term solution. IMO, we can answer all these problems, with draft picks.

This is the year for defensemen in the draft, and is also really pushing it time wise to have these guys ready for our up turn.........................My solution is to go heavy on RHD in this years draft. Yes, Clarke would be great, and would certainly add to the offense, but we more need a defensive Dman to compliment Hughes long term. So, I would love to see Benning go after Bradon Schneider from the Rangers, to pair up with Hughes. This will cost us our 2021-1st and IMO, another decent asset. Why? Because Schneider is a known commodity, and has already shown improvement.

Pairing for Hughes:.................. Short term : Hamonic............Long term Schneider

Now Rathbone is a special piece, as IMO, he will be the solution to 1/2 our 1st pairing. That is right, Rathbone ahead of Hughes, this is where our 2022 -1st (Unprotected) comes into play, and where there is risk. The unprotected 2022-1st offers up a chance for a trading team to have a dog in the Shane Wright sweep stakes. But that buys you a good solid #2 defenseman.

Alternatively, we go into UFA,but that is not a long term fix, unless you are ready to spend big money on a Dougie Hamilton.

So, why is this in the NHL draft page, because, IMO, we have to solve the defensive problems, now, in this draft, and we have to make choices, now, that will affect us long term.

If we go draft to fix our problems, we should be going hard at Clarke, who has the talent to be here in several years......IMO, he is Rathbone's partner, which then becomes the first pairing.

With our second Pairing, we should go after another RHD, and go big and go defensive. Jack Bar is such a beast. So to back track a bit, I would suggest we  use our 2021 - 2nd and draft one of Mailloux, Morrow, or Schmidt, and then go after Jack Bar with our 3rd.

But in any case, we need to be very aggressive in getting Clarke, who may be able to play with Hughes as he matures. 

The key whether we pick or use our pick as a trading chip is, RHD, RHD, RHD.

IMO, the Rangers have an abundance of young RHD, and would really like our #9............so what is it? I know BPA when picking, but when you target, you by-pass that.

Pick or trade

Develop or UFA market?

Tend to agree we should either try to move up to nab Clarke or spend the assets (Schmidt, taking back Ladd and his cap +..?) To grab a guy like Dobson.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

We really should not overlook Heimosalmi. He was far and away the best D at the u18 and Clarke, Ceulemans, Edvinsson weren't even close to challenging him even though they all had better teams around them to help them pad their stats.

I think he goes end of round one.  What if trade Motte to a cap strapped contender for their first?  Then use that pick?

Definitely a pickem' draft.  I've watched and read up on a half dozen prospect that I think will be available at #9.  The only ones from my perspective that I feel will be both a need and bpa at #9 are Mctavish and Lysell.  Both would fill some holes on the roster.  Both seem to have good character and work hard.  But because they're both forwards, I would hope that Benning and co pick for need at defencemen for pick 2 and 4.  Centers after that.  In  perfect world, if we could somehow trade for a late 1st and nab (if he's even there then) Heimosalmi, then I'd be over the moon!  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

We really should not overlook Heimosalmi. He was far and away the best D at the u18 and Clarke, Ceulemans, Edvinsson weren't even close to challenging him even though they all had better teams around them to help them pad their stats.

Wow that was NASTY. How sweet would it be if he fell into our laps in the 2nd round?

Funny, "Heimosalmi" sounds like a toddler trying to pronounce "Teemu Selanne".

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Perfectly happy to take him with our 2nd, should he make it that far.

But he's not really the 'Suter' or 'Seabrook' type D we're really looking for either, to play with Hughes.

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think he goes end of round one.  What if trade Motte to a cap strapped contender for their first?  Then use that pick?

Sieder was also supposed to go end of round 1. 

Hindsight is 20/20 foresight is everything all I'm saying is what we all saw with our own eyes Heimosalmi was just plain better than Brand Clarke at the U18's and he didn't have Bedard, Wright, etc to feed. I'm not saying it's a home run can't miss Heimosalmi 1st overall. Infact I still have Clarke at #1 on my draft board I am saying take notice do your homework this kid is going to make you look stupid in 2 years when you're still trying to find a RHD through overpaying in trade because you drafted a flashy winger instead of the RHD you knew you needed.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I know we all love Motte but he’s not fetching a 1st round pick.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Actually starting to believe vancouver will only do one trade this offseason to get a player (others maybe to move salary). I think vancouver might target dante Fabbro. Nashville are going to have a hard time with the expansion draft and may have to trade fabbro over losing him for nothing. 

Trade for fabbro

Buy out virtanen

Try and trade roussel

Beagle and ferland on ltir

Sign mark jankowski 

Sign gusev

Sign montour

Sign frederick gaudreau

Nothing super sexy but helps support our cast of players

Miller pettersson boeser

Pearson horvat hoglander

Gusev jankowski podkolzin

Motte gaudreau lind

Hughes Fabbro

Schmidt montour

Rathbone myers

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I know we all love Motte but he’s not fetching a 1st round pick.

I think teams that are really good and need players who can be good in their bottom six, that are on good contracts (like Tampa, for example) will pay a lot in draft capital to secure a guy like Motte.  Motte is a proven layoff guy, who does well if forced up in the lineup, and is great on the PK.  

I do think if Motte was moved for a later first we’d have to take a contract back too.  A team like the LOSER LEAFS would like Motte, but we’d have to take Kerfoot.  

14 hours ago, R3aL said:

Last time you buzzed about a small forward it was Ehlers I guess I will give you this one and drink the koolaid! 

I want him to purely off your passion aha.

He is 5 ft 8 realistically he will probably be available for our second round pick or close to it no? 

I hope you are wrong and the Kraken take Holtby though.

I see something really special in Stankoven. It's not every year a guy like that catches my eye. Like you said with Ehlers, I saw a little bit of Bure in him and a lot of skill and character. He hasn't exactly panned out that way, but he's a damn good player and one of the faces of their franchise.

The way Stankoven gets around the ice with his short quick strides allows him to be elusive, and his head for the game is already elite. Elite hockey sense for a lack of a less generic term. Very, very smart player. Opportunistic goal scorer, too, and an NHL-ready release. The only knock on him is his size. Needless to say, he's my favorite player in this year's draft!

I just fail to see any appeal Holtby would have to the Kraken. I grew up there near Seattle and Kent, and know a few people working in the sports media there. Used to be a big Sonics fan!

Anyhow, the general consensus is that the Canucks are really kind of lacking in tantalizing options aside from Lind and Gadjovich, with MacEwen being a solid size option. Holtby needed to be better and more consistent this year to be worth considering... 

Now, if the Canucks are able to make a trade or some kind of deal to ensure the Kraken take Holtby, that's another story. But it seems unlikely. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2