The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

48 minutes ago, Isam said:

His positioning is good but not world class man.  He tends to overangle on shots leaving agood chunk of the net wide open. This was pretty evident during the playoffs vs skelleftea. His lateral movement is also vry slow. However, he can track the puck well and he is scary good at handling the puck. 

So similar to Turco?

Ok my go at the Mock Draft top 10

Buffalo picks Owen Power....  I was going to go with Berniers, but the Worlds pushed Powers ahead.

Seattle picks Matthew Berniers....  an excellent way to start a franchise with a stud at centre and their future captain.

Anaheim picks William Eklund... Best offensive forward available goes to an offensively starved team.

New Jersey picks Luke Hughes...  An excellent overall defender that fits today’s NHL and the brother factor too good to pass up.

Columbus picks Mason McTavish...  they go off the board a little bit to grab a centre in the Dubois mold.  May pick Brandt Clarke here if they get a centre in the Seth Jones trade?

Detroit picks Kent Johnson...  an offensive dynamo that I feel will be the top offensive producer from this draft.

San Jose picks Brandt Clarke...  a steal at #7

LA picks Jesper Wallstedt...  goalie of the future that will fit with their current core timeline.

Vancouver picks Dylan Guenther....   BPA adds a much needed top six forward.  We pass on Edvinsson based on Gradins advice.

Ottawa picks Simon Edvinsson....  huge raw talent but defence man are harder to project leading to his fall in the draft.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Ok my go at the Mock Draft top 10

Buffalo picks Owen Power....  I was going to go with Berniers, but the Worlds pushed Powers ahead.

Seattle picks Matthew Berniers....  an excellent way to start a franchise with a stud at centre and their future captain.

Anaheim picks William Eklund... Best offensive forward available goes to an offensively starved team.

New Jersey picks Luke Hughes...  An excellent overall defender that fits today’s NHL and the brother factor too good to pass up.

Columbus picks Mason McTavish...  they go off the board a little bit to grab a centre in the Dubois mold.  May pick Brandt Clarke here if they get a centre in the Seth Jones trade?

Detroit picks Kent Johnson...  an offensive dynamo that I feel will be the top offensive producer from this draft.

San Jose picks Brandt Clarke...  a steal at #7

LA picks Jesper Wallstedt...  goalie of the future that will fit with their current core timeline.

Vancouver picks Dylan Guenther....   BPA adds a much needed top six forward.  We pass on Edvinsson based on Gradins advice.

Ottawa picks Simon Edvinsson....  huge raw talent but defence man are harder to project leading to his fall in the draft.

I don’t think we want another WHL winger with our top pick.  Linden was great, of course, but the WHL is a different league now.  Just look at Virtanen.  We will take Ceulemams ahead of Guenther. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think we want another WHL winger with our top pick.  Linden was great, of course, but the WHL is a different league now.  Just look at Virtanen.  We will take Ceulemams ahead of Guenther. 

I’m a big fan of Ceulemans, but this is a mock draft so it’s not who I like, but where I think they will be picked.  Trust me... Guenther is not Virtanen.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

my worry about Guenther is he just another Hayton? last thing we need is another so-so F. Lets at least try for that RHD or 3C before going that route. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What do you mean by different league? 

11 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I decided to go back and watch one of the games from U17s I hadn't watched, Canada White vs. Czechs. I know, I know, old footage, not as useful as the most recent stuff, but it's helpful to have various different vantage points. First thing that stood out was Carson Lambos. Goddamn, that kid is a difference-maker, for better or worse. Edvinsson gets the most talk for boom/bust potential for D, but Lambos has to be right up there. All-around upside is among the highest in the draft, but just way too many red flags. Exceptional defensively, and plenty of flash carrying the puck, but we talk about guys like Johnson, Lysell and Coronato trying to force things offensively and getting themselves in trouble - you just simply can't be doing that $&!# as a defenseman. Doesn't help that his puck skills just aren't where he seems to thinks they are. Way too many fanned and errant passes for a guy who tries to make things happen as much as he does.

So is Lambos a LHD Chris Tanev, but takes more offensive risk? Seems to me it is why he is a little lower in the rankings.

I was very impressed to see how unimpressive Mason McTavish was. I thought maybe I had just mis-assessed him when I watched the U17s initially. But no, he really just wasn't nearly as good as he is now, at U18s. There was flashes of it for sure, but this kid has made drastic improvements to his playmaking and decision-making over the past year and a half.

Is McTavish a poor mans Tkachuk? (not as heavy) Seems to be a #2/3 center, but maybe a #1 LW? I like him, but how much better than Sillinger?

And then Sillinger, of course. I know I'm pretty new to this forum, but anyone who knows my taste in hockey players will get why I'm such a huge fan. Kid just disrupts all over the ice. He's an anarchist. Any tiny piece of his stick he can get on the puck, he'll take it; doesn't matter if he's not going to force the turnover if he can be a pain in the ass for his opponent and force them to handle a bouncing or wobbling puck. And of course you have to be in position to be able to get stick on puck - it is almost uncanny the way the puck follows him around.

So, Basically a more talent Motte type? In as much as he pursues the puck. So, again aggressive on the puck, as a #2/3 center, or does he end up a winger?

I really like your assessments......thanks for putting in the time, and explaining your thought processes. Keep them coming!

I just noticed my player comparisons......I seldom do that, and did it to all 3.......LOL, Hmmm? (Make sure you see my quotes underneath your quotes.)

Edited by janisahockeynut

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

my worry about Guenther is he just another Hayton? last thing we need is another so-so F. Lets at least try for that RHD or 3C before going that route. 

Guenther is a better forward then what people on here are giving him credit for. His overall body of work has established that. Problem is recency bias and one tourney might devalue him and raise up someone like cuelmans who had a great u18 which is allowing alot of people to ignore alot of problems he has had with brooks in the ajhl.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

He's definitely not the same caliber of player. Guenther literally has double the PPG pace as Virtanen and Hayton at the same age and league while being defensively sound. Height wise they are also the same. I'm still shocked how highly ranked Virtanen was his draft year based on his numbers (not blaming Benning, everyone but Button basically had him a top 10 pick).

I'm quite high on Guenther, the only issue I have is we are probably more stacked at RW than any other position. However, we should be drafting BPA first round so it shouldn't matter. Pick up the RHD and centres in the later rounds. 

Edited by AK_19
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

A reason why VAN should not take Guenther - Hoglander and Boeser were available and selected later. There will be good wingers in Round 2 

Go with a C or D with the #9:

1. Power

2. Hughes

3. Beniers

4. Clarke

5. Eklund

6. Johnson

7. McTavish

8. Edvinsson

9. Lucius

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Thats a strange comparison imo. How is he a so-so forward? Literally has been dominant everywhere hes played so far.