The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

IF in Buff shoes, should you trade down a few slots & risk it? Say down to #6 or 7 slot, land perhaps a good prospect & 2nd rd pick, then pick Wall, or BPA that's left.

I'm not sure BUF will pass on Power to select a goalie. I could see him being drafted early, and a few other surprises. I agree with the possibility of VAN landing a real good player at #9, because teams ahead value players differently. I've seen some different "rankings sites", and they're all completely different, except Power being #1.  One list has Edvinsson at #2, and then the other has him at #10. One list has Cossa ahead of Wallstedt. It's going to be a fun Draft to watch. 

If Wallstedt is there at #9, should the Canucks grab him?

• Cheers 1

Some Interesting chatter going around today  : 

1. Detroit very high on McTavish. 

2. Columbus very high on Johnson

3. Buff haven't even talked to Power yet . . . (Doesn't really affect us - assume they are picking Beniers and trading Reinhart and/or Eichel ) 

Assuming no one else picks Wallstedt before us that would likely give the option of : 
Guenther who seems to be falling and is certainly not a position / player of need for us. Would certainly make things interesting from there. 

Do we take Wallstedt if Clark is high on him, even tho we have Demmer and Mikey D. Stick with Guenther who could well be BPA, despite questions marks,  or take a bigger punt on Sillinger, Lambos, Svechkov, Lysell or even Ratu who seems to be climbing the rankings again for some reason. Maybe due to the fact the number of actual projectable centers in the first round is verrrrrry low...

If McTavish and Johnson go before our pick that means the likelihood of us getting a top D man goes up.

Beniers 

Power 

Guenther

Hughes

Johnson

McTavish

Clarke

Eklund

Would leave us with Edvinsson. But LA or San Jose are wild cards. Could see Clarke fall or Wallstedt taken by San Jose.

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Some Interesting chatter going around today  : 

1. Detroit very high on McTavish. 

2. Columbus very high on Johnson

3. Buff haven't even talked to Power yet . . . (Doesn't really affect us - assume they are picking Beniers and trading Reinhart and/or Eichel ) 

Assuming no one else picks Wallstedt before us that would likely give the option of : 
Guenther who seems to be falling and is certainly not a position / player of need for us. Would certainly make things interesting from there. 

Do we take Wallstedt if Clark is high on him, even tho we have Demmer and Mikey D. Stick with Guenther who could well be BPA, despite questions marks,  or take a bigger punt on Sillinger, Lambos, Svechkov, Lysell or even Ratu who seems to be climbing the rankings again for some reason. Maybe due to the fact the number of actual projectable centers in the first round is verrrrrry low...

Welcome Eddie... What's your source?

9 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Welcome Eddie... What's your source?

Thanks my friend : 

The Owen Power story is here : 
https://www.nhl.com/news/projected-no-1-nhl-draft-pick-owen-power-buffalo-sabres/c-325532378

Rumor's on points 2. and 3. are just general chatter across the drafting forums, podcasts and other industry insiders in radio / online interviews.
Johnson and McTavish both also seem to be trending higher up a lot of the more recently published draft lists also. 

Here's a link to some Athletic quotables on the McT part : https://octopusthrower.com/2021/06/23/red-wings-draft-mason-mctavish/

Edited by Eddie

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If McTavish and Johnson go before our pick that means the likelihood of us getting a top D man goes up.

Beniers 

Power 

Guenther

Hughes

Johnson

McTavish

Clarke

Eklund

Would leave us with Edvinsson. But LA or San Jose are wild cards. Could see Clarke fall or Wallstedt taken by San Jose.

Yes very true - tho being an internal pessimist the scenario I was describing which I feel is worst case ( tho we have been very lucky in the past few years ) is : 

Beniers 

Power 

Hughes

Johnson

McTavish

Clarke

Eklund

Edvinson 
????   (Guenther seemed to be consensus BPA - but lots of people souring more and more on him lately and doesn't really fit an organizational need - So an interesting, if not slightly depressing, scenario)  

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes very true - tho being an internal pessimist the scenario I was describing which I feel is worst case ( tho we have been very lucky in the past few years ) is : 

Beniers 

Power 

Hughes

Johnson

McTavish

Clarke

Eklund

Edvinson 
????   (Guenther seemed to be consensus BPA - but lots of people souring more and more on him lately and doesn't really fit an organizational need - So an interesting, if not slightly depressing, scenario)  

If Geunther is our guy then we will be getting a great young winger.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If Geunther is our guy then we will be getting a great young winger.  

Yeah I do like a lot of what the kid brings - Just interesting to see the hype on him really cooling since the unspectacular under 18's showing and he is starting to fall outside the top 10 in a lot of draft rankings lately. Admittedly those are mainly way less well respected list - but still, its a data point. 

This I think yields the interesting question - is the allure of some of the higher ceiling - lower floor players mentioned starting to look more appealing to us in this potential situation.  

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Beniers 

Power 

Hughes

Johnson

McTavish

Clarke

Eklund

Edvinson 

I would be shocked if Guenther was available when we picked. Most mock drafts I’ve seen have him top 5 or just outside.

He would definitely represent a need for us as we’re weak on left wing. I would say that’s our biggest need after a right shot D man.

Either way theres so many different scenarios that could play out. Should be an interesting draft day.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would be shocked if Guenther was available when we picked. Most mock drafts I’ve seen have him top 5 or just outside.

He would definitely represent a need for us as we’re weak on left wing. I would say that’s our biggest need after a right shot D man.

Either way theres so many different scenarios that could play out. Should be an interesting draft day.

Center…

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Center…

Nah we’ve got Petey and Horvat.

You can find good third line centers in later rounds.

The goal should be that this player contributes to this cores run at a cup. Drafting a third line center that high would be a waste IMO. They would likely just get buried.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think my feelings on this are that RHD and getting a 2a/b Center with a top 10 pick would be the ideal scenario.  Guenther also typically plays RW ( Which is a bit stronger, but sure we could use another top line player there !)

I'd be good with a winger if they were big fast and had a high skill ceiling.  Speed and Skill as Benning says.  When i have watched Guenther he gives me pretty big Brock vibes. Good shot from anywhere, smart player who can find open ice, not a great skater but passable. All good qualities - and like i said i'm sure he will be a great player - I don't see him bringing a lot of missing things to our team i guess is what i'm trying to say. 

I can't shake the feeling that we maybe better off taking a bit bigger chance on one of the projectable C options or doing something else with the pick in this scenario. I think trading for a scoring RW or acquiring one through FA would be a easier than getting what we need at C or RW would be. 

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

What if MacTavish and Johnson are gone?

Take a winger. We need cheap scoring in our top 6 and a winger will likely be ready for that role before a center.

Third line center is a need we can fill through trade or free agency. A center at 9th doesn’t make sense IMO. They’d get buried behind Petey and Horvat like Jost gets buried in Colorado.

Edited by DeNiro

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nah we’ve got Petey and Horvat.

You can find good third line centers in later rounds.

The goal should be that this player contributes to this cores run at a cup. Drafting a third line center that high would be a waste IMO. They would likely just get buried.

Rather get a stud center like mctavish who i think could come in as soon as the following season. 1 year or maybe immediately on the team if he has a good training camp. Having him take over for Bo as 2C when hes 25 or so.   Theres a lot of RHD we can choose from in the 2nd and 3rd round.

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Rather get a stud center like mctavish who i think could come in as soon as the following season. 1 year or maybe immediately on the team if he has a good training camp. Having him take over for Bo as 2C when hes 25 or so.   Theres a lot of RHD we can choose from in the 2nd and 3rd round.

We will need that I just don’t think this is the pick to do that.

Id rather have a winger that’s ready in two years to play on Bo’s wing and contribute while this team is in their prime.

7 years from now when that center is ready to be a top 6 a lot of our players will be past their prime.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

We will need that I just don’t think this is the pick to do that.

Id rather have a winger that’s ready in two years to play on Bo’s wing and contribute while this team is in their prime.

7 years from now when that center is ready to be a top 6 a lot of our players will be past their prime.

Thats why we should trade the 9OA