The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Islanders trade Devon Toews to Avalanche for 2021 2nd-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick

8 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

Looks like Isles are working on something involving Boychuk too

Maybe Boychuk is Van bound?? Veteran RHD with less than 2 yrs on his contract.

Surprised NYI traded Toews.  NYI fans rave about him.

Edited by danaimo

12 minutes ago, danaimo said:

Maybe Boychuk is Van bound?? Veteran RHD with less than 2 yrs on his contract.

Surprised NYI traded Toews.  NYI fans rave about him.

I’m not opposed but if it happens Benning better make them retain at least 25% of that salary. 6 mil for a 36 year old dman is not gonna sell to our fan base right now. 

Boychuk (25% retained)

colorado 2021 2nd

for

2021 7th round pick.

I can get behind that. 

2 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I’m not opposed but if it happens Benning better make them retain at least 25% of that salary. 6 mil for a 36 year old dman is not gonna sell to our fan base right now. 

Boychuk (25% retained)

colorado 2021 2nd

for

2021 7th round pick.

I can get behind that. 

There would surely have to be salary retention.

Anyone know if Boychuk played with Krug in Boston?

Maybe they see him being a good fit with Hughes?

2 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Boychuk (25% retained)

colorado 2021 2nd

for

2021 7th round pick.

I can get behind that. 

Wow, you drive a hard bargain.  I know NYI need to clear space to sign Barzal but I can't see them throwing in a 2nd round pick.

1 minute ago, danaimo said:

Wow, you drive a hard bargain.  I know NYI need to clear space to sign Barzal but I can't see them throwing in a 2nd round pick.

That’s how cap dumps work. Why would we help them otherwise? We’re not gonna take a 36 year old dman at 6 mil for nothing. Don’t forget they also have to sign Pulock

4 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

That’s how cap dumps work. Why would we help them otherwise? We’re not gonna take a 36 year old dman at 6 mil for nothing. Don’t forget they also have to sign Pulock

I guess so.  But if VAN were to give up a 2nd they would be better off to sign Pulock to offer sheet up to $4.3 m and not have the headache of Boychuk's cap hit / salary.  Perhaps a 2nd round pick would not be enough!!

19 minutes ago, danaimo said:

I guess so.  But if VAN were to give up a 2nd they would be better off to sign Pulock to offer sheet up to $4.3 m and not have the headache of Boychuk's cap hit / salary.  Perhaps a 2nd round pick would not be enough!!

They aren’t letting Pulock go. They just traded Toews. They have some good dmen in the pipeline, but they would match a Pulock offer sheet unless it was absolutely outrageous. I don’t think they want to let Boychuk go but to keep Barzal and Pulock, they need to. 

3 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

They aren’t letting Pulock go. They just traded Toews. They have some good dmen in the pipeline, but they would match a Pulock offer sheet unless it was absolutely outrageous. I don’t think they want to let Boychuk go but to keep Barzal and Pulock, they need to. 

Exactly, this is the Islanders making some tough decisions to keep their key two young players on the team.  

It's not much different then what we had to do this off-season except that we're one year away from the important RFAs.  

Just a little heads up since no one has mentioned it, but the last four days have taken the Avs from a team that's got lots of cap space to a team that's almost right up against it.  They have just under 7 million left to resign Toews (2.5 million), Jost (1.5 million) and Kamenev (1 million) and get two more roster players for that money. Sakic's done a great job though, and it all started with MacKinnon taking a big discount on his deal in order to be able to ice a competitive team.  

I'm really hoping that Elias and Quinn put team success ahead of them earning that extra 1 or 2 million.  Having both of them back on a long term deal for 7.5 - 8.5 mil/year would be a strong setup for our internal cap structure.